Bored@work

My Fitness PAL

Anyone used the My Fittness PAL  to track calories? I'm keen to give it a go. Do you need to weigh every meal before you eat etc. 

With my work, I tend to have lunch out most days. I'm making good choices but curious how people guess the calories contained in a meal. I also have a fair bit of travel coming up for work. 

For example: 

Lunch at a kebab place. I went a chicken kebab on a plate, no pita bread, no cheese.  A small amount of garlic sauce all the salads etc. I'm guessing it was probably about 600 calories .

I'm enjoying racing crits and lawn bowls. The crit season is almost over & road racing in the hills is about to start. I'm keen to drop a few more kg's and try to hang on to the whippets on the climbs. 

Any tips on using the app would be greatly appreciated. 

Yep have used it and recommend it to those starting out with weight loss and diet analysis  

Worthwhile to track your meals for a couple of weeks assuming consistency in diet and find some weaknesses.

You can save your meals for future use

The bar code scanner makes it easy as you can just scan the packet and the enter your consumption.

It also integrates with Garmin so you can see how many calories left you can consume.  My use case is that it is ideal for heavy days when you might not be eating enough but not know you aren't eating enough.

One tip is to set a weight goal and loss per week as well as your activity level (e.g. this is set to not very active for a desk job), has nothing to do with exercise as it calculating your caloric need based on your activity level during the day.

I've used it before, It works well but found it vastly overestimates your calorie burn.

Just now, FatPom said:

I've used it before, It works well but found it vastly overestimates your calorie burn.

Did you set your activity level correctly for your day job?

I did some independent  testing on their calculations and found it was reasonable.

The more you use it the better it gets. Make your own "recipes" as well for home cooked meals.

*I don't use it currently

48 minutes ago, skinnee said:

Did you set your activity level correctly for your day job?

I did some independent  testing on their calculations and found it was reasonable.

don't think I set that at all. I'm talking about when you enter exercise (vigorous outdoor riding etc), it seem to indicate a very high amount for entered activity.

I couldn't get my head around it,  i was at the time wanting it to be absolutely 100%, but i found i couldn't get it to work for me, this was a few years ago

Found it good if you eat largely the same stuff each week as setting up meals etc can be time consuming (except as has been mentioned if you can just scan the barcode (or input it from the Donut King website)).

As FP said, if you are monitoring energy balance then you'll want to use a powermeter to determine calories burnt as MFP gives you 1000 per hour for twiddling thumbs...

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Anyone used the My Fittness PAL  to track calories? I'm keen to give it a go. Do you need to weigh every meal before you eat etc. 

With my work, I tend to have lunch out most days. I'm making good choices but curious how people guess the calories contained in a meal. I also have a fair bit of travel coming up for work. 

I weighed my food for the first while and after a while you can accurately guess the weight of the food by looking at it.

And as mentioned above, once you've used it for a week or so, you'll have your regular foods in there and it's easier to log.  The scanner is good for packaged food...

Edit to add: If you link it to your Garmin, it will upload the actual calories you burnt without you having to manually enter anything.

Edited by BogFrog

I've never been able to lose weight using the app or counting calories in general.  Look at what you eat, how much sugar, what type of sugar and what type of fats, how many numbers (eg 237,464 etc) are on the ingredients is a much better system

Yes I have used it for a year now. Not premium membership just for tracking weight and food intake. 

Great once you spend time putting in your actual recipes etc. If you eat out a lot at restraunts.... Good luck with that. 

Easier and better if you just eat in 99% of the time. 

I have had issues with food in the past and it's interesting to see how my eating habits vary depending on other factors. 

Worth a try. Not worth the premium membership IMO 

When I did use it I know I ate better, cause it was staring me in the face!  Very easy to "forget" how many biscuits you've had when there's no proof.  So probably for me it worked better that way than in actually calorie counting!  

• Like 1

It's great as a guide, so when I go for my third Freddo I get a feel for how badly I am eating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

don't think I set that at all. I'm talking about when you enter exercise (vigorous outdoor riding etc), it seem to indicate a very high amount for entered activity.

Ok mine linked to Garmin so it used Garmin calories for exercise 

• Like 1

PITA to enter everything. And some Aussie versions not in there

I hated it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, skinnee said:

Ok mine linked to Garmin so it used Garmin calories for exercise 

Ah ok. That wasn't an option for me back then :)

9 hours ago, goughy said:

When I did use it I know I ate better, cause it was staring me in the face!  Very easy to "forget" how many biscuits you've had when there's no proof.  So probably for me it worked better that way than in actually calorie counting!  

This was pretty much me, and I found it good for that. Once I got the eating habits under control then I found I didn’t need it. As Goughy says, it stares you right in the face!

Used it for all race preps, set my cals to roughly 2000 per day, i stick to the number every day, and never worry about trying to balance In vs Out. I can get into shape real quick (8 weeks) following this method. Ive been doing it for about 6 years now.

Im 6"2 and naturally i float at 82kg, but can get to 74kg being vigilant and stubborn 😂😂😂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

Im 6"2 and naturally i float at 82kg, but can get to 74kg being vigilant and stubborn 😂😂😂

That's awesome. I'm at 78/79kg & 72/74 is my goal weight. I'm going to give it a crack & see how I go.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

That's awesome. I'm at 78/79kg & 72/74 is my goal weight. I'm going to give it a crack & see how I go.

Awesome. Keep in mind that i only do this for a short period of time, because in my personal circumstances, i was seriously low calorie wise with 2 sessions per day, I could drop a 1kg and more week by week. The lowest i got was 71kg, but i was farked and my bike leg suffered big time. Ran like the wind though hahaha.

Don't try to sustain it, cutting this extreme puts a lot of stress on hormones