Peter

Triathlon entry numbers baffling

Using Geelong 70.3

2018 - 771

2017 - 619

2016 - 1132 (Qualifying for 70.3 Worlds in Sunny Coast)

2015 - 803

2014 - 724

9 minutes ago, willie said:

Why is that baffling? 

Yeah looks pretty consistent.

Builds for 3 years. Falls. 

Begins building. 

I wonder if the cycle like this is similar at other races 

41 minutes ago, willie said:

Why is that baffling? 

Agreed, it's about what I'd expect.  It builds to a home 'World Champs' year then drops the following year, as expected, and then increases slightly again...  It's exactly what I'd expect it to do, but numbers at a race like that would always be hard to pick because it depends so much on current marketing and any conflicting events etc.

You should look to see what other races were on around that date each year. That has a big effect on numbers.

• Like 1

Wasnt Huski on same day, and Wanaka the day prior?  Would be good to dig into that issue ....  

Home world champs is one influence. I think since 2000, the olympics  also have a strong influence on the peak and fall of numbers. 

We all used to think it was linked to people's employment and disposable income. I think that probably only makes up 20% of the whole suite of influences nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

But overall. The sport isn't growing. 

In the past if someone was over just running, or riding, or swimming and wanted to take it further - they had triathlon.

Now they have tough mudder, spartan, and how many other events for all "The Commando, fling the ropes and roll the tyres" dudes where they can walk between each stage and think they're heros!  They don't need triathlon anymore.

• Like 1

The fact is distance triathlon is a tough gig and not sustainable for long periods hence I bet you would find lots of newbies and not so many people who do a 70.3 year in year out etc.

Ironman in Australia seem to get the same numbers year in year out. It always amazes me that each year there are always 450+ first timers.

If we go back to 1985 and then look at the numbers now....you could easily say triathlon isn't growing because 10000 have not enter ironman this year. (450 first timers each year for 10 years should put race entry at 4500+ in 10 years ...if you get my drift.

Increase volume of racers is not sustainable over long periods.

Edited by IronmanFoz

But why the build for 3 and then a drop. But overall. Numbers aren't actually growing. 

I guess that's true.  I didn't start all that long ago, but there seemed to be a few OD events in SEQ, but now you have Kingy doing a couple, some others also in N.NSW.  Heck, even my club ran a few until the pond ran dry.  Add in a few halfs around the area.....

• Like 1

One of the reasons the long course races this year are down on numbers is because with the next World Champs on the Gold Coast and easier to get to for the average Aussie, many are doing all the OD races or sprints aiming to qualify for WC GC  B)

And if you say the sport is not growing it may be because some athletes have one shocker of an IM and retire from this sport and take up crit racing or lawn bowls :lol:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AP said:

One of the reasons the long course races this year are down on numbers is because with the next World Champs on the Gold Coast and easier to get to for the average Aussie, many are doing all the OD races or sprints aiming to qualify for WC GC  B)

Exactly right.

Record numbers at Husky sprint this year but long course numbers were way down.

Edited by Slowlane
Added comment

So a summary of the thread, Sprint and Olympic distance races are growing. 70.3 fairly consistent, ironman is dead in the water and numbers in decline.

8 hours ago, AP said:

And if you say the sport is not growing it may be because some athletes have one shocker of an IM and retire from this sport and take up crit racing or lawn bowls :lol:

Didn’t get the win, but I’ll be back.

45D46552-0503-48F8-942E-999BDD5E8398.jpeg

For a race so close to Melbourne that's shit numbers. When Shep was an MDOT 70.3 what was it getting?

Shep numbers used to be strong when it was a qualifier race (remember them) for IMA. Then when it was an MDot race numbers remained strong as it was one of only two long course races in Victoria for a few years. It literally was the only game in town and it carried an MDot logo. Since it finished up and Challenge have started up their race in the centre of Shep, numbers have been ok. The Challenge race is well run, good value for money but doesn't attract the same numbers because of several factors:

1. And probably the most important, Competition! There are a lot more choices for athletes race wise. 

2. It's not a qualification race for IMA.

3. It's not MDot branded

4. We are running out of lifestyle athletes who do the " one and done" races.

5. Money. Higher costs mean higher entry fees. Disposable income is the opposite side of this equation. There are other higher costs in people's lives stopping them from getting into a sport like triathlon. 

All this adds up to less entrants to races like Shep and MDot races like Geelong. 

How about the disappearance of MDot races like Ballarat? Why?

I raced Geelong in 2016, 2017 and plan to race again in 2019

Skipped this year because I am focusing on ITU Worlds.

16 hours ago, Greyman said:

So a summary of the thread, Sprint and Olympic distance races are growing. 70.3 fairly consistent, ironman is dead in the water and numbers in decline.

Pretty much the way it is in WA, except Ironman numbers are pretty consistent. Numbers for the full slightly up the last few years I think. Ironman and to a lesser extent 70.3s aren't events that a lot of people can do year in year without a fair bit of sacrifice, whereas sprints and ODs, you can just rock up that week with a stinking hangover and no training. Best way of determining the health of the sport is looking at the race calendar. WA calendar is chockas and that doesn't include the 15+ community triathlons that held during the season:

http://www.triwa.com.au/Downloads/TRIWA-Calendar-2017-2018.pdf

Zed, that's great news for WA on the calendar. You guys had a lean spell for races a while back, so great to see the numbers of events is up. I think Pippen bringing his race to Rotty was a great move. Variety in race destination is always a good thing, I think anyway.

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

Zed, that's great news for WA on the calendar. You guys had a lean spell for races a while back, so great to see the numbers of events is up. I think Pippen bringing his race to Rotty was a great move. Variety in race destination is always a good thing, I think anyway.

Yeah for sure. At the moment we have a huge variety, now with the Sufferfest series too,