Sign in to follow this  
Toolish

Starting Again

I have been out of the game for a while, have a PB of about 5:30 for a half ironman but that was 18 months ago and have not done a hell of a lot since.  Some riding but pretty much no swimming or running.

Running I am injury limited so following physio advice there.  But what advice do people have for starting again swimming and riding. 

I know people will say just get out there and swim/ride but I need some structure or I don't get out the door. 

FTP was about 245watts 6 months ago, no real idea what it is now if that is relevant. 

Swimming wise could do a 50 in 50 secs or so but would be blowing after 200m.

Goal is a Half Ironman in November.

I'm in a similar place. Last race was IM UK July 2016. I've signed up for a 70.3 in 12 weeks time. I've been fairly consistent on the swim and bike, but my running is needing work. I've chosen a flat (but very hot) course for my first race back.

My advice is be set a goal and be consistent in training.  Dial it back a bit with the number of intervals at first. Lots of swim drills and skills. Fitness will return! 

My last race was the Penrith half in 2016 I just started in January. All runs have been easy I've been wearing Hokas while my hips and knees toughen up. On the bike mainly indoor trainer just sufferfest and you tube, I haven't got wahoo/trainer road. Swimming drills and long slow 400 no sprinting fast 50s yet

Edited by Clappers

28 minutes ago, Clappers said:

My last race was the Penrith half in 2016 I just started in January. All runs have been easy I've been wearing Hokas while my hips and knees toughen up. On the bike mainly indoor trainer just sufferfest and you tube, I haven't got wahoo/trainer road. Swimming drills and long slow 400 no sprinting fast 50s yet

Glad you are on the mend mate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

I have been out of the game for a while, have a PB of about 5:30 for a half ironman but that was 18 months ago and have not done a hell of a lot since.  Some riding but pretty much no swimming or running.

Running I am injury limited so following physio advice there.  But what advice do people have for starting again swimming and riding. 

I know people will say just get out there and swim/ride but I need some structure or I don't get out the door. 

FTP was about 245watts 6 months ago, no real idea what it is now if that is relevant. 

Swimming wise could do a 50 in 50 secs or so but would be blowing after 200m.

Goal is a Half Ironman in November.

Join a masters swim club and find out where your local shop rides are or join a tri club. Training solo can be hard. 

Mate same position. 

Last thing I did triathlon related was 70.3 Cairns 2016.

Doing the full this year in Cairns. Can just swim 1k at the moment and ride about an hr. Run, what’s that?!? 

I’m Farked! 

I'm close to Ground Zero after 6yrs out with injury, then breaking the collarbone 5 weeks ago.  Been doing 2-3 30min windtrainer interval sessions per week getting the HR up to 160, and 1-2 30min run/walks (1min run/2min walk) plus a few weights since the collarbone.  Kept up 2 swims/week and an intense 25min gym circuit during the 6yrs out, plus a little road & MTB riding, so  not a complete blob though need to drop 3kgs.

Not sure where I'll go from here - tri team swims are on - Noosa in Nov, maybe Moololaba in Aug (when I can swim again, next week hopefully) - and maybe MTB races and/or sprint tris next season.  No rush now, just need to go slowly and try to stay relatively pain-free.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Set yourself some challenges to get some base fitness movement back.

Week 1- swim week

Swim 6 our of 7 days, min distance is 1km, aim to build to 1.5km by the end of the week.

Week 2 - ride week:

6 days of biking over 7 days, minimum of 30 min per ride, ideally done on a trainer, aim for at least 2 swims this week as well so as to keep the swim momentum going.

Week 3: A min of 4 rides and 4 swims of at least 30-40 minutes duration each day.

If you haven't been running either then start to throw in some runs in week 4. 3 runs in the week of at least 4 km walk/run and stretch to minimise DOMs. Maintain 2-3 swims and rides per week.

Get through those 4 weeks and it'll just come back to you and you'll either love it or quit.

I find with years of training repetive light and short training gets everything moving again but doesn't create too much fatigue.

I'm just getting back into running after breaking my foot on the 1st October and being in a moon boot for the past 14 weeks, fortunately I was allowed to swim and ride (in cycling shoes) and have just had the best block of riding ever, terminated with a treat which was a trip to Wanaka to race the Aquabike event (3/120). Going back next year for the half.

Edited by Evil Guru
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Evil Guru said:

Set yourself some challenges to get some base fitness movement back.

Week 1- swim week

Swim 6 our of 7 days, min distance is 1km, aim to build to 1.5km by the end of the week.

Week 2 - ride week:

6 days of biking over 7 days, minimum of 30 min per ride, ideally done on a trainer, aim for at least 2 swims this week as well so as to keep the swim momentum going.

Week 3: A min of 4 rides and 4 swims of at least 30-40 minutes duration each day.

If you haven't been running either then start to throw in some runs in week 4. 3 runs in the week of at least 4 km walk/run and stretch to minimise DOMs. Maintain 2-3 swims and rides per week.

Get through those 4 weeks and it'll just come back to you and you'll either love it or quit.

I find with years of training repetive light and short training gets everything moving again but doesn't create too much fatigue.

I'm just getting back into running after breaking my foot on the 1st October and being in a moon boot for the past 14 weeks, fortunately I was allowed to swim and ride (in cycling shoes) and have just had the best block of riding ever, terminated with a treat which was a trip to Wanaka to race the Aquabike event (3/120). Going back next year for the half.

Thanks EG, that post was most enlightening for me.  I don't need to do that stuff, cos just reading it, I know I'm done.  Don't have the interest anymore to do that much boring repetitive training.  I've realised I'm more in the groove of FBs exercise rather than training post now, and other interests (fly-fishing) have taken over.  MTBing also now has more appeal for me in a 'racing'' sense, but I've got to get over my concern of falling off and breaking something again!

I've probably had to start again more times than most on here. I really think the trick is to rename your thinking. Take strength mentally from what you used to be able to do but don't worry about physically achieving it again, that will either come, or it won't.

I had a period of 3mths, where I could not go to the bathroom without crawling. I remember the first time I could walk to the bathroom and pee standing up and walk back to the lounge room, it was like Olympic gold for me.

Take heart from progress in all things, be that dressing yourself or running 1km without stopping. All progress is a victory to be built on.

For riding, I found that it's not the action of riding that was always the issue but more the ability keep it steady and not get carried away. I did loads and loads of easy 20 min spins in the turbo with a mall Swiss ball between my chest and the bars to hold myself up. One day I could do a few mins without the ball. From there it was a case of building enough confidence to go outside again.

Swimming, I found being in water and feeling the water and just swimming was a lot harder to resist trying to 'muscle' a time for 25mtrs etc.  Whatever the swim equivalent of 'soft pedalling' is, that's what I did. Eventually it got better.

It's sounds a bit hippy but one the comeback trail, you have to really feel the activity before you can improve at it.  If you do it because you like SBRing, then outcome will be a result of that. If the outcome is the goal then that gets tougher because the temptation is to set too high a target, too soon.

You can have structure just don't make it time based for a while. Ride to the shops, to the next town, over that hill you avoid etc. Feel it first, then the watch can come out later. 

• Like 1

Just did my first road-ride (15kms) since crashing.  Have lost a bit of fitness in 6wks, but not too drastic, and over 6yrs, I'd lost a lot of tri-specific fitness anyway. Made it up the steep hill near home though, but saw 9kmh on the computer.  Shoulder ok, except when out of the saddle.  Will stick to the road for a few weeks before getting back on the MTB.  National MTB Champs here this weekend which will be good to watch.

https://www.mtba.asn.au/xcchamps/ 

Also did my first swim for 20mins on Tues (50m repeats with 30 secs rest between), shoulder was ok during but can't quite extend L arm as much as before & a bit sore next day.  But I'm not interested in anything structured now, will just do what I feel like.

• Like 1