Jump to content
Bored@work

Height & weight

Recommended Posts

The Geelong 70.3 thread got me thinking about dropping weight. 

I'm 181cm and currently 78ish kg (I normally race Ironman between 80 & 84kg).  I went riding last night & was  flying on the climbs. Set 9 PB on a loop I have ridden 30/40 times in the past. 

Peter got down to 74kg thanks to gastro.  AP mentioned he was 73kg (how tall are you AP?)  It's got me thinking what weight I could get down to or what weight I should be aiming for. Like grog, my weight has always been an all or nothing thing for me. 

I'm interested to see what others around the 181cm mark weight in at. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only 178, but always raced at 72-73kg. Most people said I was on the bulkier side.

These days I'm mid 80's, but when I did get down to 77kg a couple years ago, everybody said I looked drawn and sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its what body fat % to get to.  I would say 10% would be sustainable. 

between 75 & 80kg at a guess, really depends on your build (bone and muscle mass), based on what you said you have been

 

Edited by skinnee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bit shorter at 175cm. Race weight is around 72-73kg. 

I would say I am more heavier set too - it requires me to be serious about diet to get to race weight. If I even look at a beer I put weight on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 181cm and usually race at 78kg. 

When not racing I sit around 81-82kg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

186 and 88kg, have to say goodbye to the Clydesdale category I think after being over 110kg a few years back..

still plenty more to go but not sure Id want to go too much past 84..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

186 and about 86kgs. Got down to 82-83 kgs for IM which made a massive difference. Same when riding Peaks Falls Creek.

Would love to get to sub 80 kgs and see what that feels like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pieman said:

186 and 88kg, have to say goodbye to the Clydesdale category I think after being over 110kg a few years back..

still plenty more to go but not sure Id want to go too much past 84..

 

I'm the opposite of the man of pies.

My best racing was in 2011 at ~84 kgs, but I'm back over 110 kg presently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am horizontally and vertically more. I have however, dropped 6 kgs this year. Another 18 to go.

FM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I'm the opposite of the man of pies.

My best racing was in 2011 at ~84 kgs, but I'm back over 110 kg presently.

You found the kgs I lost... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 175cm tall and 73kg is where I balance out without trying to get skinny - I have been as low as 69kg but was not at my most resilient - I purposely work at maintaining upper body muscle - too many guys my age have wasted away upper bodies - to age well you have to stay strong B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

185 cm and 69-70kg, but I am certainly no athlete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

184cm and 69kg.

2013-2016 was more like 73kg but dropped that little bit over in Europe this year and have kept it off. Initally found it really f***ed my swimming and probably my strength at back end of the bike and only in the last month or two is my swimming back to as good if not better than ever and biking better than ever too. Obviously has helped the running from the get go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

187cm and currently around 92-93 kg, down from just over 100kg start of the year.  I'm seeing a nutritionist / Naturopath at the moment and her calculations is 84.4kg is my ideal weight, however VLA Bodyscan results showed I am currently 5.6kg of excess fat, and 1.8 kg of more than 'ideal' muscle in that with the remainder extra fluid.  Overall though she is only concerned about the excess fat figure, if I maintain the excess muscle than I'm probably going to average out around 86kg.

I've been as low as 79kg 3 years ago (unfortunately had no time to train or race back then to see what I could  really do), up until around 35 years of age was usually around 87kg other than during my TKD time when I bulked up alot as my weight category was 84kg+ and had to fight some rather big beasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AP said:

I am 175cm tall and 73kg is where I balance out without trying to get skinny - I have been as low as 69kg 

Huh, bout the same as me.  Float between 71 and 74 at races, and slide to 75 to 76 when lazy.  Lowest was 68 and also one of, if not my worst race.  Granted I got down there by having most of my teeth pulled a few weeks earlier.

At about 70 my wife thinks I'm too thin, particularly in my face (yes, with my teeth in)  How I was 55 at 20yrs I don't know!  Bet I'd slip through the water fast, but snap in half on the bike/run.

Edited by goughy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to determine race weight - 

The trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. Then you know you're within 5kg. If they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got AIDS, you're within 2. When they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 3kg over weight, and have been this way, give or take 2 kg, for the last 8 years. 3kg may not sound like much, but when you're pushing 155cm, it's significant and would make a big difference to run speed if I could just shed it. 

Like the booze too much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm only 178, but always raced at 72-73kg. Most people said I was on the bulkier side.

These days I'm mid 80's, but when I did get down to 77kg a couple years ago, everybody said I looked drawn and sick.

We sound the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

How to determine race weight - 

The trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. Then you know you're within 5kg. If they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got AIDS, you're within 2. When they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight.

So true 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, monkie said:

181 and I struggle to get above 71kg!

Monkie

I excel in that. 

Choclate milk and a wagon wheel each night. You'll put it on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KieranR said:

Im short and fat. the end.

Eat raw chicken move to China. Problem solved. 

Edited by zed
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Peter said:

I excel in that. 

Choclate milk and a wagon wheel each night. You'll put it on. 

I eat like a horse, drink like a fish and stuff myself with chocolate goodness. I just have a metabolism of an eel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, monkie said:

I eat like a horse, drink like a fish and stuff myself with chocolate goodness. I just have a metabolism of an eel.

How old Monkie? I was like that in my 20's. My late 30's saw me just about break the 100kg mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How old Monkie? I was like that in my 20's. My late 30's saw me just about break the 100kg mark.

32... So maybe my cummupence is around the corner but I look hopefully at my dad who is still a similar shape to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How old Monkie? I was like that in my 20's. My late 30's saw me just about break the 100kg mark.

Exactly the same boat as you!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 171cm and like to race at 66 - (actually did my first IM at 56 kg and intervention was required)

But feel best at 66kg.  Coming back off a fat period, down from 75.7 to 69 since just before Christmas.

Its amazing how much better you feel after a bit of training and not eating shit for a couple of months.  Got a couple of big trail events this year and don't want to drag weight up hills.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lawman said:

I'm 171cm and like to race at 66 - (actually did my first IM at 56 kg and intervention was required)

But feel best at 66kg.  Coming back off a fat period, down from 75.7 to 69 since just before Christmas.

Its amazing how much better you feel after a bit of training and not eating shit for a couple of months.  Got a couple of big trail events this year and don't want to drag weight up hills.

 

Jesus that must have been some christmas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

180cm and currently sitting at 92kgs. About 3 -4 kgs of that is fat. Because I haven't been able to run regularly for 6 months, and I've just swam, cycled and hit the gym and my weight has gone up. But some of it is muscle in that weight gain.

 Unlike some others, I have no problem bulking from weight training and I am naturally strong to go with it. I actually smile when I see people post that they have to work at putting weight on. I have to work to keep weight off, so there's a bit of karma around all that. 

So my aim now is not to be Mr Puniverse and get as light as I can, but to utilise the strength gains Ive made recently and migrate that to a better power to weight ratio with my cycling and running. Gordo Byrn wrote a good article on that several years ago and included it in his book "Going Long." Worth q the ear if you can find a copy. 

My best ironman was at 82 kgs and I was always on the edge of catching a cold or whatever was going around. I coped well with the training and competition at that weight and consider that to be my optimum ironman weight. In 2003 I competed at 80kgs and it was a very average ironman performance and I didn't enjoy any of the lead up training as I felt I had no strength or energy most of the time. I also got sick with the flu twice in the 4 months prior to the race. It wasn't enjoyable at all. I can still remember it 15 years later so that's how much on the edge that whole experience was. 

For mine, it's not about the height for weight ratio, but more importantly the power to weight ratio which I consider important for me nowadays. It will be interesting to see how it goes over the next 12 months or so.

I've often considered myself lucky to have kept going in this sport as I do carry some injuries from my military career which do restrict my training and competing from time to time. I doubt I'd be still going around if I didn't have that level of natural strength I have to fall back on. It's the basis of the he resilience factor AP mentioned above.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, monkie said:

I eat like a horse, drink like a fish and stuff myself with chocolate goodness. I just have a metabolism of an eel.

Get back to me when you have kids and are 40.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

So at 181cm & 78kg it's safe to say, I still have a bit of weight to drop.

My friends are already saying I look too skinny.

Bullshit.  I'm your only friend and I've never called you skinny.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

180cm and currently sitting at 92kgs. About 3 -4 kgs of that is fat. Because I haven't been able to run regularly for 6 months, and I've just swam, cycled and hit the gym and my weight has gone up. But some of it is muscle in that weight gain.

 Unlike some others, I have no problem bulking from weight training and I am naturally strong to go with it. I actually smile when I see people post that they have to work at putting weight on. I have to work to keep weight off, so there's a bit of karma around all that. 

So my aim now is not to be Mr Puniverse and get as light as I can, but to utilise the strength gains Ive made recently and migrate that to a better power to weight ratio with my cycling and running. Gordo Byrn wrote a good article on that several years ago and included it in his book "Going Long." Worth q the ear if you can find a copy. 

My best ironman was at 82 kgs and I was always on the edge of catching a cold or whatever was going around. I coped well with the training and competition at that weight and consider that to be my optimum ironman weight. In 2003 I competed at 80kgs and it was a very average ironman performance and I didn't enjoy any of the lead up training as I felt I had no strength or energy most of the time. I also got sick with the flu twice in the 4 months prior to the race. It wasn't enjoyable at all. I can still remember it 15 years later so that's how much on the edge that whole experience was. 

For mine, it's not about the height for weight ratio, but more importantly the power to weight ratio which I consider important for me nowadays. It will be interesting to see how it goes over the next 12 months or so.

I've often considered myself lucky to have kept going in this sport as I do carry some injuries from my military career which do restrict my training and competing from time to time. I doubt I'd be still going around if I didn't have that level of natural strength I have to fall back on. It's the basis of the he resilience factor AP mentioned above.

4 % body fat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

178 and 83 kegs.  Ideally like to get into the high 70's to make it a little easier!  Its just that I like Rum and Coke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ronny said:

178 and 83 kegs.  Ideally like to get into the high 70's to make it a little easier!  Its just that I like Rum and Coke!

Queenslander?  Or sailer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

175 & 82

Barrel chest and cankles 

A Physio once said "you're made for running through stuff, not triathlon".... LOL 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just measured myself 185cm 

and weigh about 80 to 82kg at the moment 

a year ago when I was training a bit and getting fit I dropped to about 71 72kg my wife hated it!

when I was 20 and at my fittest I was about 70kg all prick and ribs 

here is a photo of my jeans from back then

84EE5D8E-94DD-481B-A0A6-70B18124CD52.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lachie94 said:

184cm and 69kg.

 

Bloody hell!

I'm 178 and 81.0,  noticed a big difference between being over/under 80kgs. Looking to be sub 78 for Tenby LCW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I just measured myself 185cm 

and weigh about 80 to 82kg at the moment 

a year ago when I was training a bit and getting fit I dropped to about 71 72kg my wife hated it!

when I was 20 and at my fittest I was about 70kg all prick and ribs 

here is a photo of my jeans from back then

84EE5D8E-94DD-481B-A0A6-70B18124CD52.jpeg

So you can take yours off cos you left it in your jeans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

174cm and 60kg, sometimes up to 62 but never below unless I'm crook.

Heaviest ever was 67 and lightest was 54 after spending 3 weeks in hospital with a Crohns flareup, I looked like skeletor.  Both of those extremes were around 20 years ago and since then I've stayed in the range pretty consistently.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peter said:

Get back to me when you have kids and are 40.

Noted. I am expecting hubris again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Peter said:

Queenslander?  Or sailer?

Queenslander!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

186cm and about 90kg

Need to drop 5kg if want to go abit better. But I'm a lifestyle athlete so this is fun not ultimate performance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×