zed

New Busso swim course - shark friendly

Rather than heading out to sea for 1km for the Busso 70.3 in May , looks like they're keeping it closer to shore. I wonder what they'll do with the iconic IM swim. Part of the attraction of the race is swimming round the jetty. But if they insist on having drones and helicopters looking for sharks, they're going to find them and swim cancellations will become increasingly common.

2018-IM70.3Busso-Swim-Course-EDM-600x250

The same but in the opposite direction on the other side of the jetty.

Start same place out then turn left under the jetty and two laps on the dunsborough side.

That is totally f*#$ed!!!

They did this in 2012 and from an athlete perspective it was a disaster.  The jetty faces north so you are swimming directly east into the sun and can't see jack.  Also swimming in shallower water made sea conditions have greater effect, with a mild swell resulting in many, many people throwing up in the water.

I was tossing up whether to enter this year, I am now decided.

1 minute ago, Triatx said:

Start same place out then turn left under the jetty and two laps on the dunsborough side.

At least by swimming in the other direction first there's a chance that the sun might have risen enough for navigation to be easier but not much if it's two laps.  Probably a good excuse to switch it to a rolling start too.  It's taking away the single greatest (some may say only) reason for doing this race in preference to others.  For 22 years they've had over 2000 people swim around the thing without issues, what exactly is the reason for this change?  I suspect they may have just signed its death warrant for when this contract runs out.

21 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

The course just keeps getting harder & harder. 

Thanks for making me smile today 

Hmm what about an alternate course that runs closer to the shore so those that get a little tired mid-swim can wade or stand for a breather?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Waza said:

Hmm what about an alternate course that runs closer to the shore so those that get a little tired mid-swim can wade or stand for a breather?

Like port mac? 

Very similar but without the intense stair climb, is meant to be a breather not a bloody Everest ascent

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Waza said:

Being in WA I thought they'd just get out and head into T1.

• Haha 4

Do they know that there are sharks in the ocean and that the sharks can swim in deep and shallow water. Regardless where the swim is...... they won’t be far away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Like port mac? 

Shhh no one dare speak of the fact you walk a few hundred metres in the port swim.

That is shit, I did the half there about 5 years ago and they did that same swim course and sighting was a joke and it was rough swimming like that. I am signed up for the IM and want to swim around the jetty, that is the point and highlight of the race.

The sharks are always around, they need to just stop looking for them, with all the boats and activity the sharks will clear out.

You're more likely to be hit by a car on the bike course than to be bitten by a shark on the swim course.

26 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

That is shit, I did the half there about 5 years ago and they did that same swim course and sighting was a joke and it was rough swimming like that. I am signed up for the IM and want to swim around the jetty, that is the point and highlight of the race.

The sharks are always around, they need to just stop looking for them, with all the boats and activity the sharks will clear out.

Exactly. I guess it was inevitable that the course has changed, as long as they insist on looking for sharks with helicopters, they are going to find them. 10 years of OWS races I've had one shark swim cancellation and that was a 5m Great White chewing on a marker buoy - fair enough. They need to ditch the drones and helicopters otherwise that could spell the death knell for the Busso 70.3 and IM. People aren't going to bother racing if swim cancellations become a regular thing. 4 races I did last year had swim cancellations, 3 from sharks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, A2K said:

You're more likely to be hit by a car on the bike course than to be bitten by a shark on the swim course.

Or a roo. 2 guys at Busso were hit by roos!

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I think all three legs should be a point to point.  Probably the only way to stop people cheating in Busso.

Robbo would find a way. 

17 hours ago, Triatx said:

I'm guessing they will introduce rolling starts or waves then. Can't have 1500 people swimming out 500m then turning, it'll be carnage!

Has that been confirmed? I would have thought it would be better to start as normal (round jetty) and switch to that course if Noah is spotted.

• Thanks 1

I just did the annual Busso Jetty swim  on the weekend, which goes around the jetty.  Totally fine.

Yes - that course swimming north is a nightmare with the sun.

Full course - looks shit, but if it means we get to swim so be it.

Click to view the IRONMAN Western Australia Swim Course PDF

Edited by zed

IM not sure how swimming 500m from the shore is safer? It is still deep water. This is just sport gone made... IM has gone soft. The Melb swim got cancelled for being too rough! Other races shortened due to a range of issues. It is meant to be hard, its not soft man, it is Ironman, Im pretty sure everyone entering can assume some level of personal risk by swimming in the ocean, and if you don't want that risk, well don tisgn up. PORT Mac 100% has sharks, I spotted one in the water the day before the 70.3 race in 2013, just a small bully but there would be massive sharks in there but we cant see them, cairns has crocs and sharks as a risk, but it runs every year. 

Cairns_Croc.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

IM not sure how swimming 500m from the shore is safer? It is still deep water. This is just sport gone made... IM has gone soft. The Melb swim got cancelled for being too rough! Other races shortened due to a range of issues. It is meant to be hard, its not soft man, it is Ironman, Im pretty sure everyone entering can assume some level of personal risk by swimming in the ocean, and if you don't want that risk, well don tisgn up. PORT Mac 100% has sharks, I spotted one in the water the day before the 70.3 race in 2013, just a small bully but there would be massive sharks in there but we cant see them, cairns has crocs and sharks as a risk, but it runs every year. 

Cairns_Croc.jpeg

I'm not sure what happened in Busso last year in May and December, Triatx could confirm perhaps, but it was the Surf Lifesaving guy in charge of water safety that made the call, not IM officials.  I'm not sure who is responsible for the helicopters and drones and what their actually purpose is, but better to get rid of them. 

2 lap course - perfect for Robbo. Swim slow for 1 lap and come in with the top guys as they lap him.

hahaha , never thought of that on a two lap course, but there are cheats out there hey! how can they police the two laps? Do you get out to pass a timing map half way?

Im actually gutted it is changed, I wanted to swim along the jetty and now that feature is gone, what a joke! They better have some big buoy's for sighting, that last one i did there the change was last minute and with the rolling waves it was impossible to sight anything.

Edited by Gilliga

2 hours ago, zed said:

Or a roo. 2 guys at Busso were hit by roos!

They could install a 5 metre high fence all along the bike course to take that risk away.

4 minutes ago, A2K said:

They could install a 5 metre high fence all along the bike course to take that risk away.

What about the bush fire that caused them to cut the bike course short??

What was the year the swim had massive waves?  

I wonder what the optional swim for conditions like that will be. 

They still need and out and back course just in case. 

Edited by Peter

Ironman are missing a huge business opportunity here. The course should be 10 x 380m which would keep everyone safe and allow those that refuse to do the swim work ample opportunity to walk along the beach for 100m every lap.

Further business idea, enter 3 months before the race you get 1 lap taken off the swim course!

Become an AWA, skip 2 laps.

I could keep going, but I am scared they will implement.

• Haha 1

Why in the full IM would they change going around the jetty????  bizarre. That's the iconic bit.

Yes. They get precious about the swim leg...pity they don't reduce the height of some hills (obv not Busso) when the going gets tough on some cycle/run legs.

I can't blame Ironman for changing the swim course. If the SLS geezer is making the calls then swim cancellations are out of their control. 

There are a bunch of reasons for the changes

First off it appears that one of the reasons for the drop in numbers is the whole shark thing,this is not something I understand as I never give it a thaught but if you are the RD you need to take this into account.Since 2000 there have been 15 fatal shark attacks in WA mostly in the south busso and beyond.

I suspect that IM now need to be seen to be addressing peoples concerns as do TWA with the May event.Sad but true but if the perception is that being closer to shore helps peoples head space then so be it.

SLS have also had some input into it and feel they can cover a closer in 2 lap swim easier.

If IM and TWA don't take on board what is being said by SLS and there was an issue it becomes a minefield.

I said previously some months ago that in the early days of IM in Busso prior to the jetty having better access from the water as it does now we should not have been swimming that far out to Sea.If you take away the jetty no RD in their right mind would lay a course that sends competitors 2k out to sea.This was originally a request from Busso Shire to showcase the jetty and because the Jetty swim had been around for years.

Before you flame me think about this,it is a fact that a percentage of the competitors who do IM WA from overseas have never swum in the ocean prior to Busselton and the Asian competitors of which there are many absolutely shit themselves because they don't swim train anyway.

So are we pandering to the lowest common denominator.....yes we are,IM is no longer the event for a field of hard arses and the number of competitors who are bluntly bloody hopeless and are totally undertrained is increasing and the average finish time continues to increase because these people do it as a bucket list thing.

So if im IM and im running a business and I need bums on seats to make a profit I pander to the numptys because not all of us are tough guys.

Do I agree with it, no I don't, but I understand why.

The Sport is Changing we have less people like AP who gets up before he goes to bed,and more and more very average people doing this stuff for different reasons.

• Like 4

Snipit from an email I just got

Incorporating the superb Busselton foreshore start that we know that you love, the new loop courses see swimmers stay closer to shore, meaning less exposure to the weather, better swim conditions and hopefully plenty of swim PBs!

Time for me to find a new sport :wallbash:

I must be the minority, i couldn't care less about swimming around the jetty, i just want to do the event, whether the swim is along the coast or out to sea 2 km, i honestly dont care.  I get why they have done it though, i guess they kinda had to.  I look forward to racing there this December....if ironman ever get back to me about transferring rego from Cairns.....anyone know how to get hold of them other than FB messenger?

• Like 1

I've swim around the jetty and it was awesome. 

But I understand why the change. 

I love the Taupo swim as people can walk and follow it from on high. 

This is at beach level so not as good. 

Last above, my concern is when there are waves. 

They still need and out and back for those conditions 

49 minutes ago, A2K said:

Snipit from an email I just got

Incorporating the superb Busselton foreshore start that we know that you love, the new loop courses see swimmers stay closer to shore, meaning less exposure to the weather, better swim conditions and hopefully plenty of swim PBs!

Time for me to find a new sport :wallbash:

If the swim is easier, will this still be the hardest race in Australia.

I liked the jetty swim it was the only highlight of the race for me.  The bike is bat shit boring & the run has about 2km with spectators. The rest is nice (looking at the ocean on a tough days is a little cruel) but it's basically 42km of the same thing.

1 hour ago, Triatx said:

I said previously some months ago that in the early days of IM in Busso prior to the jetty having better access from the water as it does now we should not have been swimming that far out to Sea.If you take away the jetty no RD in their right mind would lay a course that sends competitors 2k out to sea.This was originally a request from Busso Shire to showcase the jetty and because the Jetty swim had been around for years.

Before you flame me think about this,it is a fact that a percentage of the competitors who do IM WA from overseas have never swum in the ocean prior to Busselton and the Asian competitors of which there are many absolutely shit themselves because they don't swim train anyway.

So are we pandering to the lowest common denominator.....yes we are,IM is no longer the event for a field of hard arses and the number of competitors who are bluntly bloody hopeless and are totally undertrained is increasing and the average finish time continues to increase because these people do it as a bucket list thing.

To be honest I've spent my whole life in the ocean surfing, diving, OWS, tris etc and am more comfortable than most in the ocean, but yeah take away that jetty, swimming 2km out to sea is not a good thing. There's certainly no way I'd swim 2km out to sea in Gracetown, Yallingup etc with or without a jetty.  So I can imagine a weak swimmer with little OWS experience would proper shit themselves. I think it's the right call, disappointed as I am.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Last above, my concern is when there are waves. 

They still need and out and back for those conditions 

What do you mean?

36 minutes ago, zed said:

What do you mean?

If there are waves crashing onto the beach, trying to swim along it will be impossible.

They need a course that goes out and back in the event if there are waves crashing in

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

If there are waves crashing onto the beach, trying to swim along it will be impossible.

They need a course that goes out and back in the event if there are waves crashing in

Gotcha. Good point.

That is sad to lose such an iconic part of the race at IM Busso. Fully agree with Triax's comments too. I am a  slow swimmer more than a weak swimmer, but love the swim leg as it was around the jetty.

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Does Busso ever get waves. Maybe a bit of swell out the end of the jetty but I have never seen waves there.

Only in storms really I think

42 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Does Busso ever get waves. Maybe a bit of swell out the end of the jetty but I have never seen waves there.

One of the early years it was big.  I love waves and i remember the footage and PJ was flying off the top.  It was an ugly year.

So it might only be once every 10 years but they need a good alternative for when it does.  And that might be 1k straight out and back x 2

23 hours ago, Waza said:

I resemble that remark😱

2013 I did IMWA and swum around the jetty. Great swim and we walked out to the end of the jetty the day before. Made you appreciate it more.

Iconic yes. We all like to swim to something or run to something etc.

for those who are not impressed perhaps you should voice your opinions to Ironman.... and tell the race director it’s the reason why you are swapping to another race.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

for those who are not impressed perhaps you should voice your opinions to Ironman.... and tell the race director it’s the reason why you are swapping to another race.

They won't give a shit if you're heading to one of their other races instead.  Fewer races with the same number of athletes means bigger profits.  Tell them you're looking for a race that's a real Challenge.

• Like 2

Just tell them you are heading to a different race with a challenging & interesting course. 

I was always interested in doing IM Sweden or Austria (can't remember now) because the bike went out across some massive bridges. I also wanted to do IM Wisconsin because the run went through a massive football stadium. 

The jetty swim was the one thing different Busso had going for it. That & Jesters pie shop

17 hours ago, A2K said:

17 hours ago, zed said:

What about the bush fire that caused them to cut the bike course short??

Well, what about a 5m high fireproof fence...   You can never be too careful! 

• Like 2