AP

Geelong 70.3

Geelong 70.3 is coming up fast - I'd like to wish my old mate Peter all the best for the weekend B)

Thanks AP. 

currently in hospital. 

50/50 I'll start. 

Lucky I have challenge melbourne as a backup. 

As I said to you last night. 

Rest up & take it easy. I would be a DNS for sure.

your health is way more important. 

There is more to life than ironman 

• Like 1

The good news is I'm way below race weigh. 

The bad news is the way I got here. 

• Haha 1

Stomach bug. 

Swam in the bay in a tri on Sunday. Heaps are sick. Ambo last night as my wife was worried. Still here. 74kg. Haven't been this light since high school. 

Looking at the positives. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Email Ironman & see if you can get a refund or transfer to another race.

IM Asia Pac don’t do transfers for illness - when I had to pull out of Noosa with a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus, apparently carrying a credit forward to the following year was too hard. So I was offered a place at Ballarat 1/2 IM.

Perhaps they thought I was going to do the run on a mobility scooter?

12 minutes ago, trilobite said:

IM Asia Pac don’t do transfers for illness - when I had to pull out of Noosa with a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus, apparently carrying a credit forward to the following year was too hard. So I was offered a place at Ballarat 1/2 IM.

AP got a transfer when he had a bike crash. The precedent has been set.

37 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Hahahaha.

19 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I had to pull out of Port 70.3 a couple of years ago due to an emergency Appendectomy. All I got was a form letter referring me to their T&Cs. I have to chuckle to myself from time to time when they email me noting that I haven't raced for a long time and they try and entice me back.

• Like 1

No good Peter, hopefully a speedy recovery.

I'll be there, looking forward to some fun, haven't raced there since 2010.  Keen to see how the itb holds together having just started slowly walk/running after xmas, so expect to do a fair bit of walking on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Would have been easier if it had been an IM race that caused everyone to get sick.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

The good news is I'm way below race weigh. 

The bad news is the way I got here. 

:lol:

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Stomach bug. 

Swam in the bay in a tri on Sunday. Heaps are sick. Ambo last night as my wife was worried. Still here. 74kg. Haven't been this light since high school. 

Looking at the positives. 

Supersprint?

Unfortunately in my experience the weight loss does not last.  Lost a good 5kgs with the kidney stones over a week, think I was back to normal weight 2 weeks later despite trying to maintain the weight - couldn't say the stent they put in weighed that much

That's no good Peter a good dose of the shits can weaken you for a couple of weeks - I had a dodgy burger once 20yrs ago and was too weak to even drive :mellow: don't start if it's that bad - keep shitting you've got one more kilo to lose to get to my race weight B)

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Everyone laughing at this but several years ago I was a late DNS for IM Melb (maybe 5 days out). Wrote a polite email explaining the situation and that I'd been a loyal IM participant and was able to get a transfer to Cairns 70.3.

You'll get the standard reply from whoever answers the main email but consider escalating to someone further up the chain if you can.

55 minutes ago, AP said:

That's no good Peter a good dose of the shits can weaken you for a couple of weeks - I had a dodgy burger once 20yrs ago and was too weak to even drive :mellow: don't start if it's that bad - keep shitting you've got one more kilo to lose to get to my race weight B)

I couldn't even walk to the kitchen yesterday. Hence hospital. Somme drugs and a few drips I feel better. Maybe 60% now. 

But agree no shape to start. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I couldn't even walk to the kitchen yesterday. Hence hospital. Somme drugs and a few drips I feel better. Maybe 60% now. 

So transfer the cash!!!!!!! I need to buy a powermeter

3 hours ago, Peter said:

That's rough Peter, get well soon mate.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I'm like that at nearly all my races?

• Haha 2

Get better Pete. Ring ironman and explain your situation. Then Write an email tto ironman and include a medical certificate. I did this when I had an allergic reaction to some skin cancer medication which made me seriously crook. Ironman transferred my entry for Ballarat 70.3 to Geelong 70.3. 

I guess it's all about how you put your message across to the folks in the ironman office.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greyman said:

I guess it's all about how you put your message across to the folks in the ironman office.

DON'T include a sample for verification! :flush:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tyno said:

DON'T include a sample for verification! :flush:

Unless of course they knock you back.

17 hours ago, Aidan said:

Everyone laughing at this but several years ago I was a late DNS for IM Melb (maybe 5 days out). Wrote a polite email explaining the situation and that I'd been a loyal IM participant and was able to get a transfer to Cairns 70.3.

You'll get the standard reply from whoever answers the main email but consider escalating to someone further up the chain if you can.

I beg to differ - initially I was referred to the standard T&Cs by someone at the front-line. Then I decided to email Geoff Meyer, who made the Ballarat offer (either not familiar with what knee reconstruction recovery times are like or neglecting to mention I would also be eligible to use a mobility scooter).

For completeness, this was around the time he was interviewed by roxii and made the comments about rewarding loyalty.

Edited by trilobite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

I beg to differ - initially I was referred to the standard T&Cs by someone at the front-line. Then I decided to email Geoff Meyer, who made the Ballarat offer (either not familiar with what knee reconstruction recovery times are like or neglecting to mention I would also be eligible to use a mobility scooter).

For completeness, this was around the time he was interviewed by roxii and made the comments about rewarding loyalty.

my experience almost exactly. Going to Geoff was the escalation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

The comeback begins...

Crit racing.  Also doing a two day masters tour in a few weeks. Check out my strava file haven’t ran or swam since IM Chattanooga (I ran about 2km in that race)

18 hours ago, Aidan said:

my experience almost exactly. Going to Geoff was the escalation.

So the moral of the story is that, unless you’re AP, don’t waste your time asking for a transfer.

After all, you can’t expect an organisation valued at over US$600m to have the systems to facilitate that...

3 hours ago, lachie94 said:

I'm in. As it falls, it's my first ever time doing the 70.3 at Geelong and my 40th half-distance race.

I saw that Pete muzz was trying to get info on you Lachie. 

On 16 February 2018 at 7:10 AM, trilobite said:

So the moral of the story is that, unless you’re AP, don’t waste your time asking for a transfer.

After all, you can’t expect an organisation valued at over US$600m to have the systems to facilitate that...

No. I got my transfer without having to escalate it. I've also successfully transferred Noosa entries to the following year when I was away overseas for work.  

Moral really us, just ask nicely, tell the whole story with all the facts and don't be arrogant. 

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

No. I got my transfer without having to escalate it. I've also successfully transferred Noosa entries to the following year when I was away overseas for work.  

Moral really us, just ask nicely, tell the whole story with all the facts and don't be arrogant. 

Now I’m seriously peeved that the IM Asia Pac CEO thought having a ruptured ACL with medial and lateral meniscus tears was less worthy of granting a transfer to than overseas work travel. 

Even more so when the fact you got a transfer implies his response to me that his organisation didn’t have the systems to allow it was untrue. I hope there’s some other explanation to explain that...

The lesson to be learnt is that for races, there is no advantage entering before the last possible moment. 

I will be doing challenge melbourne but not dropping my coin until the Friday before the race. 

Yes I will pay $20 extra than entering today but given what can go wrong, there is no benefit to me entering now over 3 days before the race. 

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

The lesson to be learnt is that for races, there is no advantage entering before the last possible moment. 

I will be doing challenge melbourne but not dropping my coin until the Friday before the race. 

Yes I will pay $20 extra than entering today but given what can go wrong, there is no benefit to me entering now over 3 days before the race. 

Challenge may at least have a consistent approach to assisting athletes suffering unforeseen problems.

I’m not sure about the systems of other race organisers to accommodate carrying credits forward, but IM apparently can’t even keep a consistent line on what their systems can / can’t do...

On 18/02/2018 at 8:42 PM, Bored@work said:

How did AP go? 

At HOTW ? Didn't you hear - I did OK - it was a great day - coolest temperature race start I have experienced there - global warming has not reached Goondoowindi yet B) when it does you Melbourne dudes are going to suffer (if you ever get up there) :lol: