Sign in to follow this  
Notsofast

Vietnam - worth going?

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advise. Wife and I are looking for a cheaper holiday and are considering Vietnam. The price looks good for 10 days and has us visiting Hanoi (4 nights) with a night on a Junk on Halong Bay, then Da Nang for 3 nights, then 3 nights in Ho Chi Minh City with a tour of the tunnels.

Anyone able to comment on this? For some reason I am just not getting excited about it, although everyone who has been loves the place.

BTW we love the Asian countries and have visited quite a few.

Thanks

NSF

My parents rate it as one of the best places they have been. I get to go there in May on a work trip and I can't wait!

• Like 1

Im going in May, staying in Ho Chi Minh, racing the 70.3 in danang and will go to see Hoi An and a few other places.  we cant wait to go.

• Like 1

I've been and similar itinerary to yours.  Was going back mid last year but I got a new job so I had to cancel it. But when the time's right I'll be back.  HCMC then Nha Trang then up to Dalat then MTB down to the coast and work my way south to Vung Tau then back to HCMC.  So yeah I'd recommend it. 

• Like 1

Another 'Go' vote.

Well worth the visit. I lived and worked in Hanoi for 8 months and then Saigon for another 8 months. Hot and wet, great food and some excellent riding ( road and MTB ), trail running and ocean swimming...oh, and old stuff to look at too.  

• Like 2

I mountain biked for 10 days from Phnom Penn to Ho Chi Min and loved it. Through a heap of smaller villages, Phu Quac Island, checked out the floating markets etc. the countryside was amazing and the food was sensational. 

I spent 4 days in Siem Reap beforehand. Cambodia is also worth a visit!

Edited by beginnergirl
  • Like 1

It's the kind of country you can go to and pick a few highlights from Lonely Planet. But after ( or as ) you've seen them, you can stop and eat good food, drink good coffee or beer, and watch the world go by from the comfort of a plastic chair on the foot path. People are generally friendly and helpful and it's a relaxing and cheap break. 

• Like 1

Been for work a couple of times. Good food, great place, nice people - overall a very positive experience!

Might be the only stick in the mud here - Did virtually the same itinerary as you have planned, and to be honest, did not enjoy a single moment in Vietnam.  My wife, however, loved it and would love to return.

We have done a fair bit of travel and it is the only place I can say that I didn't enjoy and wouldn't want to go back.  Some of the sights and the history of the place is amazing, but in general, didn't enjoy.

As an aside, it is also the only place I have ever travelled and had any kind of moment where I felt unsafe (following an incident in Hanoi with a local at the markets). 

Anyways, just a single point of view and lots of others have had very different experiences, including my wife, so I probably haven't helped one bit!!! hahaha

Ayto

• Haha 1

Thanks Ayto, the reason I asked is I know at least 20 friends who have been and loved it, although one of my best mates went and had a similar experience to you. All good feedback though.

Thanks everyone, about to pull the trigger this week. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Ayto said:

As an aside, it is also the only place I have ever travelled and had any kind of moment where I felt unsafe (following an incident in Hanoi with a local at the markets). 

My friend was chatting to me about Vietnam the other day after i mentioned i was going over, and he said up in Hanoi they are not as friendly as they are in places like Saigon, Hue, Hoi An, Da nang etc

I loved it too. Preferred Hanoi to HCMC. Hoi An is lovely, make sure you go to the beach there. I loved the mountains of Sapa which you get to from Hanoi if you can fit it in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

My friend was chatting to me about Vietnam the other day after i mentioned i was going over, and he said up in Hanoi they are not as friendly as they are in places like Saigon, Hue, Hoi An, Da nang etc

That was my experience also.  Probably didn't help that we were in Hanoi for the 60th Anniversary of liberation and the population of the city practically doubled due to those enjoying the celebrations...............however it also brought out all the con-men and outright crooks hahahaha

My Uncle went there for a year back in the 70s and couldn't stand the place.