Sign in to follow this  
Parkside

Beginner-Intermediate Ocean Ski

Looking at possibly getting my feet wet so to speak and trying some paddling. Would be good to be able to trial a ski for more than a day and see if my shoulders/elbows enjoy it. 

Ive been talking to a couple of friends who are suggesting Fenn Bluefin/Swordfish and Epic ocean skis, anyone have any advice or unused craft I could rent with option to buy for a month or two to see if my dodgy upper limbs can hack it

I’ve been away from the sport for a few years so I don’t know what’s current these days. You’d really want something in the slightly shorter wider range like an epic v8 or similar. There are lots of used ski’s on geartrade.

as for hiring one: contact the Fenn and Epic agents in Sydney and I’m sure they could help you out.

pete the plumber  and i use bluefins....   fenns hole for your arse was bigger then the epics. both are stable. bluefin is stableest. i have also got a slsa spec ski but if it gets  a bit choppy, its concentration central.

second hand, super mario has a good turn over

https://www.supermariosurfski.com/pre-loved-surf-skis.html

place at miranda on port hacking road does new fenns.

i bought mine second hand through ocean paddler on the northern beaches.

Edited by Oompa Loompa
creating new word in stableest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So Oompa, how hard are these things to learn on?? 

If you can, get hold of an old surf ski & learn on flat water eg Burton or Spectrum. Youll fall off so many times & theyre very easy  get 'onto' instead of 'into'.  Getting back on is exhausting but you wont bust yourself like falling off your bike  😊

Edit to add - once you stopp falling off .... go shopping for something new n faaast lol

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If you can, get hold of an old surf ski & learn on flat water eg Burton or Spectrum. Youll fall off so many times & theyre very easy  get 'onto' instead of 'into'.  Getting back on is exhausting but you wont bust yourself like falling off your bike  😊

Edit to add - once you stopp falling off .... go shopping for something new n faaast lol

Thanks mate.  Im selling the TT bike this weekend, so may have to jump in and buy something before that money goes into "consolidated revenue" 

:lol: 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, roxii said:

Thanks mate.  Im selling the TT bike this weekend, so may have to jump in and buy something before that money goes into "consolidated revenue" 

:lol: 

Ah I cant help you there lol

On 02/05/2018 at 9:00 AM, roxii said:

So Oompa, how hard are these things to learn on?? 

fenn blue fin is as stable as...like you just paddle.  not saying its like walking on footpath but its fairly close and nothing like a slsa spec ski. 

Can give you or parkie a go if ya's want from swallow rock or the wonnie, just need to adjust foot pedals as we are not all dwarfs.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

fenn blue fin is as stable as...like you just paddle.  not saying its like walking on footpath but its fairly close and nothing like a slsa spec ski...

How does a Stella SES compare to this Fenn Blue Fin that you speak of in regard to stability?   The years of triathlon, trail running and big multi-sport races have taken their toll on my tired old body so I'm thinking about doing a bit more paddling.  I've never really spent all that much on sporting gear, but this time I'm looking to get something that is at least a little bit competitive.  I'm also only a short@ss (about 165cm) and they tell me that a Steller SES would be ideal.  Any idea if any boat/surf ski hire places have them so I could test drive one?

15 hours ago, Go Easy said:

How does a Stella SES compare to this Fenn Blue Fin that you speak of in regard to stability?   The years of triathlon, trail running and big multi-sport races have taken their toll on my tired old body so I'm thinking about doing a bit more paddling.  I've never really spent all that much on sporting gear, but this time I'm looking to get something that is at least a little bit competitive.  I'm also only a short@ss (about 165cm) and they tell me that a Steller SES would be ideal.  Any idea if any boat/surf ski hire places have them so I could test drive one?

I would expect the bluefin to be more stable the stellar ses but id check with someone like supermario.  I really only looked at fenn and epic and ended up going with fenn. I  think ocean paddler on the northern beaches do some hire stuff, I know the one I bought from them, they let me paddle it before I bought it. 

anything you buy, add another $3-500 for  a carbon paddle too plus roof racks if you want to anywhere.  it aint cheap, but then neither is triathlon/ cycling... 

• Thanks 1

On 05/05/2018 at 10:05 PM, Go Easy said:

.  I'm also only a short@ss (about 165cm) and they tell me that a Steller SES would be ideal.  

If you can get hold of Dingo Dave, he’s moved into the still water paddling phase of his life now. He’s only little too....

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Chookman said:

Fark it, just get a K1...

My swimming is not that good at the moment :lol: 

• Haha 1

In a serious note: best way to improve your balance in any craft is to find a shallow spot close to shore; throw your paddle on the bank and go through the paddling motion relying solely on your contact points and core for stability. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1