BenjieB

Coffs Harbour riding

Hi all,

I'm headed up to Coffs for the Olympic tri in March, but as its not an A race and I'm in ironman training mode, I need to do a long ride that weekend too. Does anyone have any information on a good 120-130km cycle route up there?

Cheers

There are a couple coffs guys on here, I have done 1 ride there with one of the locals off here and we went out on the highway down south and back for about an 80k round trip.  

I know there is a couple who are also in ironman training I could put you in touch with them if you get stuck.

Or just look up the retro tri club in coffs and send them a message on facebook.

• Like 1

Plenty of us riding "long" around this time of year. Message me closer to the time and I'm sure we can arrange something.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Can confirm Nuked didn't axe murder me when we met for a run when I was in Coffs.

• Haha 2

I think I can vouch for Nuked as well (even though I've never met him).

It must be over 10 years ago that Nuked put out a couple of horse racing tips on Transitions. The office I was working in at the time had a weekly $20 bet that could be on anything with all winnings put towards the Xmas party. I'm pretty sure it was Nuked and maybe Scotty Pippen? that came up with a couple of cracking tips that made me the star of the office and the resultant Xmas party ............ 

Kudos to you mate!!!!

and I hope that I've remembered all of that correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nuked said:

Plenty of us riding "long" around this time of year. Message me closer to the time and I'm sure we can arrange something.:thumbsup:

Thanks mate! Will hit you up closer to the time. For info, coach has put 5 hours in the training plan on Sat 5th. The day before the race :wallbash:

• Confused 1

Several options which vary depending on day of week, time of day. Easiest option you can do just about anytime without having to think much is simply to follow the old highway (Pine Creek Way and Giinagay Way) south from Coffs (via Sawtell) south to Nambucca turn off and return.

From Sawtell to Nambucca Heads turn off (Link Rd) and return is 80+km with no stops. Toss in the odd side road out/back or loop and you can easily rack up 120km without stopping. Yellow Rock Rd loop, Mylestom Rd, Hungry Head Rd-Urunga, Butlers Rd / Glennifer Rd and others at Bonville.

Bugger all traffic, mostly excellent roads and some glorious country to ride through.

Now the Macksville freeway bypass is in, the extended option south is to continue past the Nambucca Heads turn off and take the Old Coast Rd/WirrimbiRd/Rodeo Dr/Wilson Rd for a loop through Bowraville, Macksville and back via the the other side of the river. That's 130km easy from Sawtell. Add those other loops and you are 160+km without a traffic light in sight.

On the north side there is the climb up to the Orara State forest (Bruxner Park Rd and Central Bucca Rd), perhaps out to Nana Glen or for a flatter ride take the Solitary Islands Way to Woolgoolga. Just have to put up with the little bit of main road conditions exiting Coffs past the Big Banana.

There is also a loop around Bellingen (not Waterfall Way) via North Bank Rd, Bowraville Rd and South Arm Rds. Road can be a little rough in places and it's lumpy terrain. Also the road out to the Promised Land is a delight (until you hit the end of the bitumen).

• Like 1

The only challenge to some of these routes will be from about April/May this year when the Raleigh Bridge (Keevers Dr / Old Pacific Hwy) over the Bellinger River will be closed for ~12 months for remedial works by the RMS.

1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

The only challenge to some of these routes will be from about April/May this year when the Raleigh Bridge (Keevers Dr / Old Pacific Hwy) over the Bellinger River will be closed for ~12 months for remedial works by the RMS.

Probably a better explanation than I can give and I have ridden these roads for 5plus years!

Nuked and I will hit up 4-5hours that Saturday probably down south on the above mentioned roads mate, we sure won’t be setting the world on fire at this point in the prep, get in contact with either myself or nuked and we will tee up a time etc to hit the road. 

Dont expect RBR to vouch for me 😂

• Like 1

I've not ridden since August, my leg has been crap and I'm a lard arse at present. Tomorrow is new leg day though, so it's fingers crossed it resolves my problems and I can contemplate riding a bike again. Just being able to stand and walk without pain would be nice. It'll be a year at least before I'm anywhere near close to riding more than a few hours.

I ran a cycling tour here last year and will be doing same again this year in latter part of August. I need to change base venue and ride routes though due to the bridge closure.

https://www.tourdebello.com/

The opportunity for great riding was one of the features I was looking for when considering where to live after Sydney. I knew the opening of the new freeway and retention of old hwy for local use was going to open up some excellent ride options.

Everywhere I go I mentally note roads for their suitability for riding.

I have a good mate coming up next week to stay for 4-5 days just so he can get a break from the M7 and Centennial Park, which are about the only places he feels OK to ride anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clintred said:

Probably a better explanation than I can give and I have ridden these roads for 5plus years!

Nuked and I will hit up 4-5hours that Saturday probably down south on the above mentioned roads mate, we sure won’t be setting the world on fire at this point in the prep, get in contact with either myself or nuked and we will tee up a time etc to hit the road. 

Don't trust this guy. 

• Haha 1

Get in contact with a guy there called Tim Kitching and get his lazy ass out with you guys his pasty white now and carries a few kegs haha

Dont worry he is one of my best mates..

He did take out the win there a long time ago

17 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Get in contact with a guy there called Tim Kitching and get his lazy ass out with you guys his pasty white now and carries a few kegs haha

Dont worry he is one of my best mates..

He did take out the win there a long time ago

I got him out a few Friday’s ago for a lazy two hours, it was a murder scene......... although he is back running often with possibly a marathon within the year.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Several options which vary depending on day of week, time of day. Easiest option you can do just about anytime without having to think much is simply to follow the old highway (Pine Creek Way and Giinagay Way) south from Coffs (via Sawtell) south to Nambucca turn off and return.

From Sawtell to Nambucca Heads turn off (Link Rd) and return is 80+km with no stops. Toss in the odd side road out/back or loop and you can easily rack up 120km without stopping. Yellow Rock Rd loop, Mylestom Rd, Hungry Head Rd-Urunga, Butlers Rd / Glennifer Rd and others at Bonville.

Bugger all traffic, mostly excellent roads and some glorious country to ride through.

Now the Macksville freeway bypass is in, the extended option south is to continue past the Nambucca Heads turn off and take the Old Coast Rd/WirrimbiRd/Rodeo Dr/Wilson Rd for a loop through Bowraville, Macksville and back via the the other side of the river. That's 130km easy from Sawtell. Add those other loops and you are 160+km without a traffic light in sight.

On the north side there is the climb up to the Orara State forest (Bruxner Park Rd and Central Bucca Rd), perhaps out to Nana Glen or for a flatter ride take the Solitary Islands Way to Woolgoolga. Just have to put up with the little bit of main road conditions exiting Coffs past the Big Banana.

There is also a loop around Bellingen (not Waterfall Way) via North Bank Rd, Bowraville Rd and South Arm Rds. Road can be a little rough in places and it's lumpy terrain. Also the road out to the Promised Land is a delight (until you hit the end of the bitumen).

That's awesome. That would be a great place to live

14 hours ago, clintred said:

Thanks. Appreciate it!

16 hours ago, Gundy said:

I think I can vouch for Nuked as well (even though I've never met him).

It must be over 10 years ago that Nuked put out a couple of horse racing tips on Transitions. The office I was working in at the time had a weekly $20 bet that could be on anything with all winnings put towards the Xmas party. I'm pretty sure it was Nuked and maybe Scotty Pippen? that came up with a couple of cracking tips that made me the star of the office and the resultant Xmas party ............ 

Kudos to you mate!!!!

and I hope that I've remembered all of that correctly.

Nuclear Medicine was a damn fine horse .....:nuke:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nuked said:

Nuclear Medicine was a damn fine horse .....:nuke:

That's the one!!! Loved that horse :D

The office were both amazed and mystified as to where my tips were coming from.

10 hours ago, Cranky said:

That's awesome. That would be a great place to live

Part of the reason I chose to move here.

When I was doing my research and reccy trips I spent days driving all the back roads around various towns to get a sense of what it was like for cycling as well as do my due diligence on planned roadworks and their impact (positive/negative). I ruled quite a few locations out due to them being lousy for cycling.

Plus there is a local outdoor velodrome (and crit circuit) at Toormina (near Sawtell) so I can get my fixed gear fix whenever I so desire.

If you like MTB, well there is a national park and lots of other forest areas here with 100s of km of tracks and a park ranger that's keen to get more MTB action happening.

Unfortunately my new leg fit was a fail today (wasn't made correctly), so it'll be another month at least before that gets sorted.

On 14/02/2018 at 4:07 PM, Alex Simmons said:

Unfortunately my new leg fit was a fail today (wasn't made correctly), so it'll be another month at least before that gets sorted.

??

You have a prosthetic leg? 

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

??

Yes. In 2007 I had a crash while out riding one morning and after hospitalisation and surgery on the broken leg, various complications meant we had to amputate my lower left leg about 8 weeks later. I got back to riding and racing and went as well as I did before but effectively I retired from racing after 2011 season.

I thought I'd transition to riding for exercise and enjoyment but soon realised that was near impossible in Sydney - the cumulative trauma of the daily abuse and near misses by drivers of motor vehicles just did my head in (something I was able to push back when focused on training for goals) and so when the opportunity in life presented itself to move away to somewhere nicer, I did.

I have started to ride a few times since moving here and love every single minute of it. But my prosthesis has not been fitting me so well of late (last year or so really) and so riding once again has had to stop. Currently walking is painful, indeed just having the thing on hurts. I use a walking stick at the moment to help. 

Hence my disappointment at my new leg not being ready. It's now over 6 months since I started the process to replace it and it will be at least 7 months by the time I have it. Then I need to go through the process of getting it set up for cycling (to ride I unscrew the walking leg part and screw on the bike leg part, inspector gadget style).

Looking forward to getting out once again and enjoying the great riding we have here. I'm not so looking forward to the first weeks of seriously bad fitness as that makes it a bit harder to enjoy but provided I can stick with it and the leg behaves, I'll be doing all the rides I mentioned and more within a year I reckon. I also love riding the track and previously went there once a week for a bit of fixed wheel fun, so hope to restart that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cranky said:

??

Way to pay attention , Cranky! :D

On 2/13/2018 at 5:34 PM, clintred said:

Hey guys. I'm driving up tomorrow and keen to meet up Sat morning for a ride. Let me know what the details are.