Sign in to follow this  
Naut

Take the bike?

So I have a week in Singapore for work coming up. Pretty generous (40kg) baggage allowance, so I could take my bike if I want to.

3 questions:

1. Could you be arsed to take a bike for a full work week?
  2. Is it possible to ride around Singapore safely? Staying on Stevens Rd, haven't stayed there before
  3. How would you pack your bike for Qantas? Is cardboard enough? Soft or hard case?

I am pretty lazy, so to be honest just typing this has almost made it too hard.

Not worth packing the bike for a week. Go to Athlete Lab. Your first session will be free. The next two will empty your wallet. Yes it’s exxy, but very convenient and effective. I used the Sydney lab in 2016 while on assignment there.

http://singapore.athlete-lab.com/

You’re welcome :D

• Thanks 1

Absolutely not. I would bet you wouldn't end up unpacking it.

It's also far too hot / humid. If you really want to cycle then grab yourself an O Bike while there!

Yay, I can be lazy guilt free. I’ll have to check out Athlete-lab in between G&Ts at Raffles.

Use the 40kg to bring a shitload back!

• Like 1

If you've got a few hour window up your sleeve, you could always take the ferry over to Pulau Ubin, hire a "bike" & get your Dirt Skirt on -: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g1644875-d317388-r281489433-Pulau_Ubin-Pulau_Ubin.html

I did this a few years ago & just packed cycling kit. Not sure if the standard of "bike" for hire has improved (they were all POS) since then, but my rear derailleur snapped about 7km away from home. I ditched the bike at a "shop/kiosk", took a photo of location & hiked back. Told the bike hire mob what happened & showed them where their bike was. If it wasn't for the mechanical, it was nice riding & no cars to worry about.

I was there with the family in first week of January and did a few runs. 

Humidity is ridiculous, but that aside there are heaps of running tracks - you could ride them too but lots of tourists/pedestrians.

Packing a bike sounds like a royal pain, I wouldn’t do it. 

Edited by wombattri

19 hours ago, iFoz said:

Not worth packing the bike for a week. Go to Athlete Lab. Your first session will be free. The next two will empty your wallet. Yes it’s exxy, but very convenient and effective. I used the Sydney lab in 2016 while on assignment there.

http://singapore.athlete-lab.com/

You’re welcome :D

Only good if you run Shimano cleats. They won't let you swap to look pedals

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Only good if you run Shimano cleats. They won't let you swap to look pedals

True, however, you can use their shoes (don’t forget your socks) or it’s only 5 mins to swap cleats. 

• Like 1

I would take it... IF you are on your own without your partner and or kids.  If you're there for any of the days on the weekend as well, then that's another plus.

Keep it simple, a standard Qantas $20 bike box (or whatever they are worth, it's not much) will do the job, shove all of your gear in it so you don't fill up your bag.

It's a great way to see the place up close, even if you take it slow and look around rather than go for a long fitness ride.

I'm from Melbourne and took my bike to Perth (Scarborough) for a working week as it cost nothing in Business Class.... would definitely do it again.  The Qantas part was easy, except that I needed a maxi taxi to get to and from the airport.  Also depends on how much you like eating and drinking out after work and what time you finish up re: weather.

Edited by BC_J400

Sign in to follow this