Flanman

Bike Cleaning/Maintenance

I am not a great clean bike person. Mine gets cleaned when its needed. In my old home, I had somewhere to do it that it didn't matter if I made a mess (back corner of the yard where some trees and bush was). I'd spray with a degreaser then it hose off. A little dead grass but it was rough grass anyway. Then back into the garage to re-lube.Now, that I have a new house (built three years ago), I struggle to "hide" where I degrease it or clean it. I do however, use old cardboard underneath to catch drips after I finish. 

So, I am after a bit of feedback. How and where do you clean your bikes ? How do you do it ? Do you have a big tarp or on the ground ? How much love do you give your bike ? What are some of the good cleaning stuff or tricks you have ? Anything else ?

Thanks

FM

I keep a packet of baby wipes by my bike. After every ride. I wipe down my shoes first, bar tape, frame, wheels & then drive train.  I then relive with was after every two or three rides. Takes a couple of minutes but it’s a lot nicer to have a clean bike ready to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

I am not a great clean bike person. Mine gets cleaned when its needed. In my old home, I had somewhere to do it that it didn't matter if I made a mess (back corner of the yard where some trees and bush was). I'd spray with a degreaser then it hose off. A little dead grass but it was rough grass anyway. Then back into the garage to re-lube.Now, that I have a new house (built three years ago), I struggle to "hide" where I degrease it or clean it. I do however, use old cardboard underneath to catch drips after I finish. 

So, I am after a bit of feedback. How and where do you clean your bikes ? How do you do it ? Do you have a big tarp or on the ground ? How much love do you give your bike ? What are some of the good cleaning stuff or tricks you have ? Anything else ?

Thanks

FM

How dirty is your bike??

I just do what Bored said, use a couple of babywipes.

8 minutes ago, zed said:

How dirty is your bike??

I just do what Bored said, use a couple of babywipes.

Three continuous days of riding with some wet. Grime build up in/around cassette/chain plus a lot of brake dust (a bit of descending the week before). Lumps of stuff came out. It took me 2 hours to clean and re lube yesterday.

I did use wet wipes plus dry wipe after. It looks almost new (for a 2005 bike anyway :lol:).

FM 

10 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Three continuous days of riding with some wet. Grime build up in/around cassette/chain plus a lot of brake dust (a bit of descending the week before). Lumps of stuff came out. It took me 2 hours to clean and re lube yesterday.

I did use wet wipes plus dry wipe after. It looks almost new (for a 2005 bike anyway :lol:).

FM 

Ha ha yeah I don't really ride in the wet.

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

... How and where do you clean your bikes ? How do you do it ? ...

The shower... degrease chain, rinse bike, spray bike with bike cleaner, wipe down, rinse well, wipe down with dry cloth, oil chain when dry. 

Clean shower. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

The shower... degrease chain, rinse bike, spray bike with bike cleaner, wipe down, rinse well, wipe down with dry cloth, oil chain when dry. 

Clean shower. 

Photo of you in the shower with your bike, or it didn't happen. :)

You can't fit a bike in the shower!

• Haha 1

Fits in mine. We removed the bath and put in a walk in shower instead. And my bike is probably smaller than most...

And no one needs to see THAT!

Warm water ,  detergent , brush for chain and cassette  , sponge for frame 

Use gentle spray and rinse off suds thoroughly 

Wipe dry 

apply lube of your choice 

1 minute ago, Flanman said:

Where do you do all this Skinnee ?

FM

Does your new place not have grass? or a nature strip...

21 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Where do you do all this Skinnee ?

FM

Back yard  - I use bike stand as well. been doing is this way for years with my mountain bikes. Road / Tri bike I don't clean as often though.

Check out Shane Miller on youtube - he has some tips and also his bike maintenance coverage on the TDU was interesting.

Simplest way is to get a 1 litre bottle Morgan blue chain cleaer and a 1 litre bottle of muc off nano cleaner concentrate (makes 4 litres). Spray the chain and give it a scrub if needed and spray the rest oc yhe bike with muc off. Leave for 3 mins, rinse and dry with s cloth if you can be stuffed. Easy peasy

I clean my bike after each ride on a wet road (doesn't happen often) and/or before an A race. In my new place I don't really have a suitable spot so I use a cardboard box to protect the pavers.  Turps on the chain, hose off, wipe down, Rock'n'Roll Gold, done.

Do you have a clothes line?  I don't clean my bikes enough, but when I do, I hang them on the clothes line from the bars and saddle.  Our line is one of those attached to the house and it's near the outside tap. I can get to about everything, take wheels off, run the drive train if I need to tune up. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Like 1

I do the degreasing in the gutter outside house then hose it off. I have grass I don’t want to kill and the rest is a tennis court and I ain’t doing it on that.

8 hours ago, goughy said:

Do you have a clothes line?  I don't clean my bikes enough, but when I do, I hang them on the clothes line from the bars and saddle.  Our line is one of those attached to the house and it's near the outside tap. I can get to about everything, take wheels off, run the drive train if I need to tune up. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Don' forget to take the whites off first!

18 hours ago, zed said:

Ha ha yeah I don't really ride in the wet.

Coz it hardly ****ing rains here in Perth :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

I use a work stand on the brick pavers out the back. 

Front and rear wheels off 

Chain gets put through a park tools chain cleaner 

Drive train gets scrubbed with a brush and CT-18 

I have one of those things that substitutes the rear wheel, so cleaning then drying then lubing the drive train is easier. Best $7 I have spent. 

As Zed says, not much rain here, more dust and beer splashes B)

Little and often.

Some citrus degreaser for the drivetrain and brakes, and muc off on the frame / wheels. Low pressure hose to rinse. Every month, chain off and into a jewellery cleaner full of citrus and clean every tooth of the cassette (off the wheels) and cranks.

Complete strip down and rebuild every three months to check for wear.

49 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I have one of those things that substitutes the rear wheel, so cleaning then drying then lubing the drive train is easier. Best $7 I have spent. 

Agree, very handy little bit of kit.  

The other tool I would recommend is a pair of chain link removal/install pliers, FKN amazing. No more fighting with the link trying to get iron & off. You will also have confidence it's installed correctly. 

I have been using a Aldi bike stand that's on it's last legs. Once we move house and get shit sorted I'll be buying Park work stand. 

Spend the money, get the tools, makes the job a lot easier and more enjoyable. That way you will do it more often. 

As Peter said in the internet to shed thread "Spend the money and do it right, the first time. Other wise you will regret it later"

They are a pain to unlink, though on step on the pedal and they're done up tight.  Or be smarter and grab a wipperman chain link and it's easy as.

And I didn't think you owned a bike anymore B@?

3 hours ago, goughy said:

They are a pain to unlink, though on step on the pedal and they're done up tight.  Or be smarter and grab a wipperman chain link and it's easy as.

And I didn't think you owned a bike anymore B@?

I kept one bike. Sold the rest. I do coffee shop rides & Wed night crits. If it was tri related, I sold it.

Bikes, kickr, wetsuit, shoes, goggles, treadmill, gave away all my nutrition. I had a pocket full of money (which we put towards a deposit on the new house) At least I don't have to move all the crap to the new house. 

20 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I kept one bike. Sold the rest. I do coffee shop rides & Wed night crits. If it was tri related, I sold it.

Bikes, kickr, wetsuit, shoes, goggles, treadmill, gave away all my nutrition. I had a pocket full of money (which we put towards a deposit on the new house) At least I don't have to move all the crap to the new house. 

Yeah I cant believe AP moves all those fruit bowls he wins at Kona (and 25 winners teaspoons from HOTW) when he moves house every year...  Imagine him on an episode of Hoarders.... 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yeah I cant believe AP moves all those fruit bowls he wins at Kona (and 25 winners teaspoons from HOTW) when he moves house every year...  Imagine him on an episode of Hoarders.... 

LOL I did keep all my finishers shirts. They're all hanging up and have never been worn. My medals are stashed in the bottom of my sock draw.

Besides a baseball bat (Ironman Lousiville) with my times on it and one photo of my mates post Ironman Louisville. There is not a single hint of ironman in my house.

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Agree, very handy little bit of kit.  

The other tool I would recommend is a pair of chain link removal/install pliers, FKN amazing. No more fighting with the link trying to get iron & off. You will also have confidence it's installed correctly. 

I have been using a Aldi bike stand that's on it's last legs. Once we move house and get shit sorted I'll be buying Park work stand. 

Spend the money, get the tools, makes the job a lot easier and more enjoyable. That way you will do it more often. 

As Peter said in the internet to shed thread "Spend the money and do it right, the first time. Other wise you will regret it later"

I have one of these. Ordered 1 back in 2009...... Received 2..... Only charged for one! LOL thanks PBK 

I gave the other one away. Good karma etc. 

1518493488067948778326.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I reckon getting rid of all my shit was the best thing I ever did. I only have two bikes and one of those bikes is a cargo bike. My wife owns more bikes than me :o I'm hoping she gets stuck in and qualifies for Kona so I can go along for the ride... She's turning into a machine, if she wasn't built like a brick shit house she'd probably be even faster. 

And, my wife bought a kickr, so officially I have one but not. :lol: 

On 2/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, BogFrog said:

Clean shower. 

This is why you get paid the big bucks.  I never thought of this so tried it today.  To view the full video of me naked in the shower cleaning it go to my YouTube channel and search for "showering together".

IMG20180213141629.jpg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, A2K said:

This is why you get paid the big bucks.  I never thought of this so tried it today.  To view the full video of me naked in the shower cleaning it go to my YouTube channel and search for "showering together".

IMG20180213141629.jpg

Assume you then sleep with the bike after?

15 minutes ago, Tyno said:

It wouldn't hurt if a bit of degreaser hit those wall tiles AK!

Well if you watched the video you'd know it's all clean as a whistle now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skinnee said:

Assume you then sleep with the bike after?

Yeah "sleep with" 😛

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Katz said:

I clearly treat my bikes very, very badly.

No 

Maybe you just have a life :huh::lol::lol:

• Haha 2