Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Hang on. Did Elon Musk put a tesla into space

I watched it this morning. The Falcon Heavy (he should have put a GT-HO up there) rocket launched it. It's now on its way to Mars and orbiting the Sun.

Note, this was the first flight of this rocket, which has twice the power of its closest current counterpart, and may set the scene for a trip back to the moon. It launched from the same launchpad as NASA used for the Moon missions. The first 2 x boosters successfully performed control landings, side by side, whilst the 3rd was to land on an offshore platform, though I haven't seen the success of that yet.

This was also Elon's own personal car. I wonder if he could have claimed it on insurance if it blew up on take-off? 

Saturn V: Falcon Heavy:
Height: 110.6 m 70 m
Diameter: 10.1 m 12.2 m
Weight: 2,970,000 kg 1,420,788 kg
Stages:  3  2+
Engines    
   1st stage 5 Rocketdyne F-1 3 x 9 Merlin 1D
   2nd stage 5 Rocketdyne J-2 1 Merlin 1D
   3rd stage 1 Rocketdyne J-2  
Thrust    
   1st stage 34,020 kN 22,918 kN
   2nd stage 4,400 kN 934 kN
   3rd stage 1,000 kN  
Payload (LEO): 140,000 kg 54,400 kg
Payload (TLI):  48,600 kg  16,000 kg

Any way you cut it, the Saturn V is still an awe inspiring bit of kit.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I watched it this morning. The Falcon Heavy (he should have put a GT-HO up there) rocket launched it. It's now on its way to Mars and orbiting the Sun.

I've left this up on my other screen most of the day. It's been an interesting screensaver.

So it's a farking big rocket. What else is the actual rocket doing? 

Surely it wasn't just to put a car in space. Half a billion is a lot of $$$$

It's primarily designed as a heavy-lift for large commercial and military satellites. Other than the Delta IV Heavy, this will be the only vehicle capable of reaching all 9 of the so-called US Department of Defense reference orbits.

Did all the hardware make it back safely?

I heard there was talk about something going missing for a while?

If it did all make it back safely and as programmed that is awesome. 

I heard 2 out of the 3 boosters came down safely the third one was lost in the ocean

Something like 3 of the 4 landing rockets failed to fire on the third one and it came down at something like 500k/hr and hit the edge of the platform in the ocean it was suppose to land on.

It was new, but the two other booster rockets that landed safely were 2nd hand.

Edited by goughy

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Something like 3 of the 4 landing rockets failed to fire on the third one

2 of the 3 engines failed to restart. It didn't actually hit the landing drone ship, but debris from the crash did, and took out some of its engines.

There is a sign on the dashboard "Dont panic!" and a towel in the glovebox.

You would think with a rocket named "Falcon Heavy" they would have put an XB GT Hardtop into space, rather than a Tesla.

Although I understand the marketing angle to me putting the car into space as the payload just seems like dumping rubbish into space.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

There is a sign on the dashboard "Dont panic!" and a towel in the glovebox.

Elon Musk Checks Washing For Missing Wallet Before Realising It Was In His Car

musboy.jpg

• Haha 2

This guy blows my mind. He is doing in private enterprise what no government in the world has been able to. Re-using rockets by landing them after cutoff reduces cost of launch by a factor of 100 apparently. He is making space launches much more profitable and Spacex has a mission to make the human race multi planetary. 

The two side boosters used yesterday have indeed been landed twice, the main was lost but none of them were ever being used again as they are deploying the next generation in future launches.

We saw a rocket launch at kennedy space centre a few years ago and it is just an incredible sight and sound to behold from 3km away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Parkside said:

This guy blows my mind. He is doing in private enterprise what no government in the world has been able to. Re-using rockets by landing them after cutoff reduces cost of launch by a factor of 100 apparently. He is making space launches much more profitable and Spacex has a mission to make the human race multi planetary. 

The two side boosters used yesterday have indeed been landed twice, the main was lost but none of them were ever being used again as they are deploying the next generation in future launches.

We saw a rocket launch at kennedy space centre a few years ago and it is just an incredible sight and sound to behold from 3km away.

That's perhaps not a fair comparison, as all so-called 'government' systems were also designed and built by private enterprise, and the latest Falcon Heavy is similarly designed primarily to win DoD contracts.

The Solid Rocket Boosters on the Shuttle were also specified by NASA to be reusable, but the technology didn't exist to safely return them to land. They were all recovered from parachute water landings, but it was found that seawater created too much damage to make reuse economical.

The state of technology has advanced at a pace which allows things to be achieved now that were impossible with the older systems. - say like in 1968 when the Space Shuttle design began, or the even older Russian launch-system designs - and you can bet that if it were possible to do it before 2010 (when SpaceX began working on it) it would have been done, to give a contractor that cost advantage in bidding. One of the best known NASA quotes - "I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract".

Edited by XCOM!

Interestingly enough, it looks like Musk will also collect another record... first car-crash in space. It appears they overestimated the required burn and will overshoot Mars, ending up in the asteroid belt, where they now expect to crash.

Was he hoping the car would be in mars waiting for him when he goes there in a few years?

also is there still no return from mars or will they come back? 

I hope he has comprehensive!

This is all kinda cool stuff.  But how confident would you feel entering a space capsule to shoot to Mars knowing that 1/3 of the reusable rockets crashed and they got their to calculations wrong?

1 minute ago, Peter said:

also is there still no return from mars or will they come back? 

I was always under the impression that any Mars trips we one way?

And excuse me if I'm getting this all wrong, but aren't trips to Mars spose to take a long time?  Seems to me this want much worse than hoping a bus from bris to Melbourne?

So who is going to trust their Tesla "Self Drive" system now? This one missed it's destination by a few million miles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

This is all kinda cool stuff.  But how confident would you feel entering a space capsule to shoot to Mars knowing that 1/3 of the reusable rockets crashed and they got their to calculations wrong?

Probably the same as the US astronauts of the '60's.

I still find this one of the most inspiring series to watch. The episode on the guidance system is amazing. Being in the industry, I am still staggered at what they achieved with the technology of the time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

Probably the same as the US astronauts of the '60's.

I still find this one of the most inspiring series to watch. The episode on the guidance system is amazing. Being in the industry, I am still staggered at what they achieved with the technology of the time.

Thanks XCOM. That was a great way to spend my lunch break.

1 hour ago, XCOM! said:

Interestingly enough, it looks like Musk will also collect another record... first car-crash in space. It appears they overestimated the required burn and will overshoot Mars, ending up in the asteroid belt, where they now expect to crash.

Im sure someone is building a space tow truck expecting a big payday. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Thanks XCOM. That was a great way to spend my lunch break.

It's an awesome 6-part series.

If you can track down the others on YouTube, they are all well worth the time.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:28 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You would think with a rocket named "Falcon Heavy" they would have put an XB GT Hardtop into space, rather than a Tesla.

The last of the V8 interceptors, Max!

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2018 at 2:53 PM, XCOM! said:

It's an awesome 6-part series.

If you can track down the others on YouTube, they are all well worth the time.

Found them. This week's viewing sorted. :)