Sign in to follow this  
MissJess

Husky Weekend

Who's in?

I am potentially in for the sprint distance, plus some cheer squad for the long course. I am waiting on someone to confirm an offer of a bed. Although all other offers are welcomed as this may not happen.

It seems we do the same races. 

In for Friday Swim, Saturday Sprint and Sunday long course survival.

Super keen, this weekend is one of my favourites.

• Like 1

I think I will be there swanning around on Saturday for the sprint, cant race unfortunately. 

Have to be back home for Sunday.

I'm in! :thumbsup: Have to share a tiny room, and a bed LOL but all good.

Sprint Saturday and I will be down for the Ocean Swim Friday. Going back Sunday arvo.

On ‎7‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, The new guy said:

First time at Husky and doing the ultimate on Sunday.

Any tips on the course??

The swim - watch the waves before yours closely and see where the tide takes them (It can push you off course a little) . This way you can head for the cans from the correct side and not fight the current. The sun can be in your face so lining up the cans going out is important. A long run up the steps to T1.

Bike is a little bit rough in parts but what I would call honest. The rollers going out of town to the furthest part of the course eat into you a little so make sure you save a little for the rest of the laps.

The run - almost all flat. A consistent pace helps here. It gets a bit warm if you are in the 2nd lot of waves (the waves have two groups that are split up - cant remember, could be 40 mins or so). The crowd will help with the little pinch on the turn around in town (twice - you have to go there on your last lap, turn around, up the little pinch then right into the finish).

Saturday is a real buzz with all the shorter races, kids, club tents etc. Enjoy a beer as well for the preso afterwards (hard getting a seat though if you are just on time). Two words of warning, 1) hopefully there is no road kill along the bike course - the smell is terrible, 2) Don't get into shouts with Ten Pints. He loves to celebrate his races (pre and post) :lol:

FM   

Husky_1.jpg

Husky 2.jpg

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So this Queenslander has made a last minute decision to come down for the sprint. 

Only had plans of trying to qualify for the OD for World Champs, but thought I just maybe make the most of the opportunity being so close to home. And I've wanted to visit Husky for a few years now, so good excuse anyway.

Arrive Thursday, leave Sunday. We'll have a bit of time to look around, any tourist tips? 

Wetsuit swim?

Edited by AA7
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AA7 said:

So this Queenslander has made a last minute decision to come down for the sprint. 

Only had plans of trying to qualify for the OD for World Champs, but thought I just maybe make the most of the opportunity being so close to home. And I've wanted to visit Husky for a few years now, so good excuse anyway.

Arrive Thursday, leave Sunday. We'll have a bit of time to look around, any tourist tips? 

Wetsuit swim?

Does Cranky know you're racing without her?

And who are you going to draft off on the bike? :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You will love it. 

Stop at either Kiama or Berry on the way down, nice place for a look and lunch.

Not sure about the wetsuit, but last 2 years ive done the sprint they were wetsuit legal

Depending on when you are heading through, take the coast road and stop at Gerroa Fishos club and have lunch/ dinner with a view 

the-view-from-our-table.jpg

and check out the Kinsford Smith memorial and lookout across the road. 

Also if you have a car drive via the coast south of the Royal National Park and drive the Seacliff Bridge

306881628766d017b5c4a241ea81c164.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Does Cranky know you're racing without her?

And who are you going to draft off on the bike? :)

Sshh, dont tell her.

Um, do I need to repost the photos from our last race? :)

25 minutes ago, roxii said:

Depending on when you are heading through, take the coast road and stop at Gerroa Fishos club and have lunch/ dinner with a view 

the-view-from-our-table.jpg

and check out the Kinsford Smith memorial and lookout across the road. 

Also if you have a car drive via the coast south of the Royal National Park and drive the Seacliff Bridge

306881628766d017b5c4a241ea81c164.jpeg

Thanks Roxii.

I have had a quiet morning at work, so I've been looking at the driving route and definitely planned on the Seacliff Bridge. And thought Kiama be a nice place to stop also. We arrive at 10am, get the car and make our way down. 

Probably check out some of the beaches around Jervis Bay on Friday etc. 

Looking forward to it.

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

Thanks Roxii.

I have had a quiet morning at work, so I've been looking at the driving route and definitely planned on the Seacliff Bridge. And thought Kiama be a nice place to stop also. We arrive at 10am, get the car and make our way down. 

Looking forward to it.

One of the most beautiful places in the world! Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Thanks Roxii.

Looking forward to it.

When you leave Kiama, (hopefully the Blowhole will be showing off) and head south around the "Kiama bends" instead of going straight along the main drag, veer left to Gerringong and that will take you to the Gerroa stuff I posted above, and takes you the coastal route to Nowra, which is then only about 20 mins from Huski. 

Gerringing pie shop is worth a stop, and if you are an old Rugby League tragic you could go to Cronins pub and hope Mick is behind the bar. 

Also, the bypass is operational at Berry. You will now have to pull off the main drag now to enjoy the donut caravan.

FM

A couple of more pics...

The 5 km and 10 km run starts. Also, the view from my table at the RSL next to the pub (I had the seafood platter).

FM

Husky 4.jpg

Husky 8.jpg

Husky 9.jpg

1 hour ago, roxii said:

When you leave Kiama, (hopefully the Blowhole will be showing off) and head south around the "Kiama bends" instead of going straight along the main drag, veer left to Gerringong and that will take you to the Gerroa stuff I posted above, and takes you the coastal route to Nowra, which is then only about 20 mins from Huski. 

Gerringing pie shop is worth a stop, and if you are an old Rugby League tragic you could go to Cronins pub and hope Mick is behind the bar. 

Ooh, love a good pie.

11 minutes ago, Flanman said:

A couple of more pics...

The 5 km and 10 km run starts. Also, the view from my table at the RSL next to the pub (I had the seafood platter).

FM

Husky 4.jpg

Husky 8.jpg

Husky 9.jpg

Hoping for great weather too.

I did consider backing up for the Sunday race, just get around the course as I haven't been training for anything very long, but the might've been pushing my luck with getting another day off work. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

Jervis Bay national park is so cool and awesome roads to go for a run down to Caves Beach and back. Also go check out Hyam’s Beach which is on the way to the park. 

And even though I don’t disagree with any of the recommendations here I’d spent the limited time you have around Jervis Bay. You can do the other stuff closer to Sydney at a different opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

Jervis Bay national park is so cool and awesome roads to go for a run down to Caves Beach and back. Also go check out Hyam’s Beach which is on the way to the park. 

A good way to get to Hyams beach is follow the road through vincentia to the end (greenfield beach) then walk the trail to chinamans beach which takes you to hyams. Its also a nice easy trail run to get the legs going after the trip.

If you are staying in husky a new restaurant has opened "the quaters "  next to the bakery is pretty good.

53 minutes ago, Rog said:

And even though I don’t disagree with any of the recommendations here I’d spent the limited time you have around Jervis Bay. You can do the other stuff closer to Sydney at a different opportunity. 

Yeh, I think we'll probably just do a couple of short stops on the drive down to break up the drive. And explore around the bay and beaches on Friday. Saturday arvo, enjoy the town and race atmosphere, chill out or whatever.

A little more on the course summary for those new this year.

Those doing the sprint, don't gas yourself too much on the swim. It's a solid set of stairs running up to transition. The bike roads a touch rough but just the usual for anyone riding small town/country roads. The course on the way out has elevation gained, the way return is more down hill, it's a little undulating but nothing big. The run, you'll leave transition and head down a little pinch of a hill, its mostly flat except for one more pinch. The tiny hills are just enough to hurt if you've gone too hard but nothing to fear if you've paced.

Long course ride: The undulations on this course make it prime for going to hard. They aren't enough to concern you the first two times but you will definitely notice the sting in the legs on lap 3 if you've gone too hard. It's a course that is undulating but if you ride it smart/correct you won't need to leave your saddle.

Long course run: Last year was 1km long so don't be shocked if it's slightly out...

Flanman your pics have got me so keen!!!!!!

• Like 1

Great detail from Flanman (everything he says is gospel :D )and Prizna. I remember doing the long course with Clappers, and he used his power metre very smartly to tackle the rollers. I went a bit too hard as I like powering up rollers, and ended paying for it on the run. So good advice there. Only minor thing I can add, is that there's a roundabout right after T1 with a tight left-hander and then a little after that a wide 90 degree right-hander. Watch for those with sloppy bike skills into those turns (and the roundabout on the way back where you go right around it - seen a few come in too fast and go wide).

I'm there Thursday to Monday.

On 08/02/2018 at 1:32 AM, Flanman said:

Also, the bypass is operational at Berry. You will now have to pull off the main drag now to enjoy the donut caravan.

FM

Geez is that still there?! We used to stop there on surfaris to Werri Beach and Flatrock.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Geez is that still there?! We used to stop there on surfaris to Werri Beach and Flatrock.

Yes mate, I've been calling in to get donuts there since I was 16 when I used to go surfing down the coast. That was 42 years ago. Different owners but still cooked as you order.

FM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prizna said:

Long course run: Last year was 1km long so don't be shocked if it's slightly out...

Don't I know it! I did the run for a team and my friend was working at the fork near the finish chute. First time was ok, I was happy to run down to the pool and back up, the second time my watch said 20km as I passed her, I kept on pointing at my watch and looking at her and saying "my watch says 20k" :lol:

• Like 1

Hell yeah I'll be there all weekend. Just done my last long run and hope I feel less smashed by sunday. Off some good form (by my standards) I am gunning to go sub-six.

My hint for first timers is secure your bottles well - lots of ejections.

Someone asked wetsuit swim - probably but not guaranteed.

Miss Jess the lady you beat at tri canberra will be doing long course.

Can anyone tell Emo to please set the run distance right - the extra 800m last year nearly killed me ; )

Was just looking through the event schedule and it has different check in times and transition openings for different waves in the long course race. Any idea how you find out which wave you would be in??

Glad I chose Melbourne over husky as a qualifier.  33 in my age group. !  Not as interesting as the 30-35 Ag which has 103 ?  

20 hours ago, The new guy said:

Was just looking through the event schedule and it has different check in times and transition openings for different waves in the long course race. Any idea how you find out which wave you would be in??

It usually comes out this week. Email then on the EE website. 

FM

Im a late scratching, too busy on the home front at the moment. 

Have a great weekend everyone, race fast and race safely. 

24 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Ashleigh Gentle is in town.

Usually a few of the Wollongong wizards crew get along for the sprint. 

So did my first husky long course yesterday, was targeting 5hrs and made it with 11sec to spare.  so happy with that. The run was tough and I struggled, just very happy I was in the earlier age groups. The wind was just starting to pick up on my last lap of the bike and it was hot. Couldn't of asked for better conditions for the swim

Overall it was a good weekend, the Sprint was really quick on Sat as it was a qualifier. 1hr 10min wasn't quick enough for someone from my club to earn any points in the 40-44 age group

The pro men and women were flying in both the sprint and the long course.

Kids loved doing the miniman and mrs limited did the 10k fun run.

• Like 4