roxii

Indian Pacific Wheel Race CANCELLED

No dot watching this year. :mellow:

The 2018 Indian Pacific Wheel Race has been cancelled. The 5500km Perth to Sydney event was scheduled to start at 6:22am on March 17, the same time ultra-endurance legend Mike Hall lost his life when hit by a car during the 2017 event.

With an ACT coronial inquest likely to commence later in the year, late on Monday race organisers announced the 2018 event will not go ahead.

Five-weeks out from the trans-Australia endurance event, Race organiser Jesse Carlsson wrote a heartfelt letter to competitors, fans and followers.

'As you’re probably aware, the matter of Mike Hall’s death is before the A.C.T. Coroner’s Court with an inquest likely to be held later in the year,' he wrote.

'Given this situation, and as more information about the potential outcomes of this process have become clear only very recently, it is with an extremely heavy heart that we cancel the 2018 Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR) with immediate effect. That is, Dragon Face Pty Ltd will not be facilitating the riding of the IPWR in any way.

The fact that this race has taken on a life of its own, strengthened the ultra-endurance cycling community and created an unparalleled interest in what is largely a very solitary pursuit is something of great pride. It’s for this same reason that this decision is not taken lightly, knowing how many people this will upset and even anger.

All monies paid during the application process for the 2018 race will be refunded. 

Any person deciding to ride the IPWR course as their own endurance or bike touring challenge chooses to do so individually. 

No information to assist or facilitate such pursuits will be provided. Dragon Face Pty Ltd has no association with GPS tracking companies that riders may use while bike touring.

Mike Hall was a source of inspiration to so many. The phrase ‘be more Mike’ is something many of us have clung to in the weeks and months following his untimely death. Revisit that and please channel any of the negative energy associated with the cancellation of the IPWR into something that Mike would be proud of. Live because you can.'

Jesse Carlsson

• Sad 1

unfortunate, was looking forward to the riders come through the RNP and southern Sydney again....and see how the likes of Jess Douglas went...

I read this earlier... I did say after the events of last year this would never be an organised event again....

Maybe we're supposed to read between the lines a little and the event managers might be in the firing line after the enquiry. 

Edited by willie

By all accounts there are a group of riders that are still going to do the ride starting same time, same place.  DOT watchers rejoice!

51 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I think Durian rider is heading over & plans on doing the ride. 

You must be spewin you can't do it now. 

Back to ironman I guess 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I think Durian rider is heading over & plans on doing the ride. 

Or was that just more of his click bait? #carbthe****up #govegan #veganas**** 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

You must be spewin you can't do it now. 

Back to ironman I guess 

Gutted. Have no idea what to aim for now

On 2/8/2018 at 8:35 AM, Ronny said:

By all accounts there are a group of riders that are still going to do the ride starting same time, same place.  DOT watchers rejoice!

Spot on, and they are away. Looks like some big km's in first few days.

No start buy Durianrider probably stuck in Thailand with his 17 year old girlfriend?:D

9 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

No start buy Durianrider probably stuck in Thailand with his 17 year old girlfriend?:D

Angry man not with banana girl anymore?

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2018 at 8:36 PM, Bored@work said:

Gutted. Have no idea what to aim for now

Hasn’t this comment come back to bite you on the ass!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, willie said:

Hasn’t this comment come back to bite you on the ass!!!! :lol:

Just like most of my comments..........

I'm about to have a meeting in the next few hours to discuss and pick what Ironman race I'm going to do.

I thought about picking an easy flat course (I have so much going on this year) but I have decided to send a big FU to all those who claim I only do easy races.

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

The blonde or the brunette?

The one that appeared with the dentist in the hangover 2

• Haha 1

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, Ruley said:

The one that appeared with the dentist in the hangover 2

Durianrider has  probably  hooked up with Sexytrimum...? :huh:

Edited by Chuckie M

Im so excited watching this race develop.  All of them are super human by the looks of it.

I took my daughters aged 13 and 11 down to the start of the race on Saturday and it was so awesome to meet some of the people doing the race.  

FB and Instgram are awesome to follow the race along with https://indianpacificwheelrace2018.maprogress.com/

Indian Pacific Wheel Ride (Dot Watchers) on facebook

lots of great profiles on Instagram

DBR is barstow

Rhino is Flinnryan

Little Gruffallo is Milchcafebar

Sully is scubasully

Two of the riders are riding single speed bikes: Joseph Kendrick and Pawel Pulowki. That does my head in.

9 hours ago, ratdog said:

Im so excited watching this race develop.  All of them are super human by the looks of it.

I took my daughters aged 13 and 11 down to the start of the race on Saturday and it was so awesome to meet some of the people doing the race.  

FB and Instgram are awesome to follow the race along with https://indianpacificwheelrace2018.maprogress.com/

DBR is barstow

Rhino is Flinnryan

Sully is scubasully

I'm so excited to have Ratdog back on the forum.  Miss ya buddy.

I was following my friend (Su Pretto) the other day via the dots. It looked like she had gone off course, so I zoomed in. Looked like she was at the local IGA. The funny part was someone went with her and was across the road at the bottle shop :rolleyes:. I could imagine Su still having a wine and enjoying herself.

They are all freaks, but what about the guys in front................ bloody impressive

Here to hoping they all stay safe

Cheers

NSF

59 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I'm so excited to have Ratdog back on the forum.  Miss ya buddy.

He seems a bit too excited by the whole IPWR thing, I can see him setting a goal for next year. 

On 19/03/2018 at 9:03 AM, Rocket Salad said:

Angry man not with banana girl anymore?

She's living naked in the jungle somewhere with her new squeeze

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/freelee-the-banana-girl-moves-to-the-jungle-and-off-the-grid/news-story/75e65b2416d6f41140c72e839bbfff16

Edited by noknees
add link

5 minutes ago, noknees said:

Oh dear.  The irony is ridiculous. 

Living an off-grid simple jungle lifestyle, but keeping your followers updated daily on instagram on your laptop. 

Wont last long when they realise that if they use no "products" there is no money to be made in "sponsorship" or "ambassador" roles as an "influencer" 

2 hours ago, noknees said:

And mate.....what a train wreck of the relationship break down. I looked at a few you tube videos. Can't believe I missed it when it happened.

On 21/03/2018 at 10:06 PM, ratdog said:

DBR is barstow

Rhino is Flinnryan

Sully is scubasully

Gee rhino is doing great. 4th place. 

Edited by Peter

Abdullah is in Melbourne now. He should come down to Frankston for a  big night out.:D a huge lead. What the hell is the Dark knight doing?:huh:

2 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

What the hell is the Dark knight doing?:huh:

Don't tell me it's Robson, entered under another name? Looking for a shortcut to Sydney maybe?

• Haha 1

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't tell me it's Robson, entered under another name? Looking for a shortcut to Sydney maybe?

Is the Dark knight now is 2nd with his cheat move?:huh:

The whole thing seems to be going a bit screwy now.

Im not sure everyone is riding to the same route/ rules.

i suppose it is just s big social ride but will take the gloss off those who do it properly. 

There is just one guy (Dark Knight) - riding a different route (an Audax route). Everyone else is doing the IndiPac route.

But as you say, it's not a race anymore!

2 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

Dark knight now in the lead? :wallbash:

And if he follows previous form, it'll be straight along the M31 for an easy win.

Are you sure this isn't our mate from WA?

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And if he follows previous form, it'll be straight along the M31 for an easy win.

Are you sure this isn't our mate from WA?

He must have used Uber to take the lead..:D

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Dumb question but how do they know the way?

Most of them have a Garmin eTrex with the course loaded in it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Most of them have a Garmin eTrex with the course loaded in it.

must be an awesome battery life.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

must be an awesome battery life.

I think some run dynamos on the front hub for charging lights and GPS

7 minutes ago, Limited said:

I think some run dynamos on the front hub for charging lights and GPS

Yep, they have a dynamo charging one of those battery pack things. The battery pack thing is hooked up to a USB hub which is hooked up to lights, Garmin, phone, etc. The battery pack and hub are usually in one of those little bags on the top tube (you can put something other than gels in them) and then cables run everywhere.

Seems a pretty efficient set-up and the dynamo looks to be quite effective

5 hours ago, Naut said:

Yep, they have a dynamo charging one of those battery pack things. The battery pack thing is hooked up to a USB hub which is hooked up to lights, Garmin, phone, etc. The battery pack and hub are usually in one of those little bags on the top tube (you can put something other than gels in them) and then cables run everywhere.

Seems a pretty efficient set-up and the dynamo looks to be quite effective

at the mike hall memorial ride in Sydney last year Sarah Hammond, Kristoff and a few others had their bikes there and were happy to show and explain the set ups,

exactly what Naut has explained, was pretty cool to look over them , the USB plug comes out of the stem top cap etc

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:33 PM, Chuckie M said:

Dark knight now in the lead? :wallbash:

The knight has made a power move overnight!. very exciting .poor Abdullah.:huh:

Edited by Chuckie M

On 3/28/2018 at 9:37 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep. I suppose it isn't a real race, but a shame that he'll take the glory of first to Sydney. This from yesterday.

image.png.a9a6bb03162e1ff5b918a5298d996db7.png