Pete

complete newb - needs advice

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm about 81

The only reason I was running at 60psi is because I had NFI

35 is still too high imo. Try running 30/27 f/r and you’ll notice a big difference in performance. You won’t be bouncing off every small rock.

Yep.  Having another crack on Sunday morning, I'll give that a go

Picked up my new MTB on Friday (Norco Fluid 3 = entry level dualy $2199).  Have only been able to do one little 20min ride on it due to injuries sustained in previous ride, but it is very very nice compared to my wifes Giant Talon which I had been using (too small, XS frame).

I'm 173cm, 68kgs and went for a 27.5" M frame on the Norco.  Fit feels good, but I did have to put the seat right back on the rails.  I also note the handlebars are 76cm wide compared to 70cm wide on the Giant, so might cut them down to get through The Poplars (very narrow gaps between trees) on one local track.

I talked to the young bloke in the shop about tyre pressures as I'd been riding the Giant (tubes) at about 25-27psi.  He put 40 in the rear and 35 in the front of the Norco to avoid pinch flats (tubes), but I've dropped the front to 30 & might yet drop to 25.  Also, it comes with 2 different tyres - more aggressive knobs on the front for better traction.  Single chainring too = easy peasy and no chain rattle.

After riding a dually (even for 20mins), I'd never go back to a hardtail.  It is more comfy and faster over the rough stuff, rides better than my 93 Hilux (wouldn't be hard :blush:).  My first ever 'race' was on the wife's Giant and it took me about 20mins/lap pushing it fairly hard.  I only rode at 80% of that effort on the Norco & with my L knee killing me and did 20:30.

Can't wait for my knee to get better so I can give it a proper whirl.

Unlike triathlon, with MTB I get the exercise, but without the monotony.  It's just so much fun and you are always concentrating on the terrain & are out in the bush which takes your mind off the aerobic hurt.....except the crashing & hurting yourself bits which hopefully will be less often now I'm on a decent bike that fits.

Norco&Hilux.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/05/2018 at 10:42 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Picked up my new MTB on Friday (Norco Fluid 3 = entry level dualy $2199).  Have only been able to do one little 20min ride on it due to injuries sustained in previous ride, but it is very very nice compared to my wifes Giant Talon which I had been using (too small, XS frame).

I'm 173cm, 68kgs and went for a 27.5" M frame on the Norco.  Fit feels good, but I did have to put the seat right back on the rails.  I also note the handlebars are 76cm wide compared to 70cm wide on the Giant, so might cut them down to get through The Poplars (very narrow gaps between trees) on one local track.

I talked to the young bloke in the shop about tyre pressures as I'd been riding the Giant (tubes) at about 25-27psi.  He put 40 in the rear and 35 in the front of the Norco to avoid pinch flats (tubes), but I've dropped the front to 30 & might yet drop to 25.  Also, it comes with 2 different tyres - more aggressive knobs on the front for better traction.  Single chainring too = easy peasy and no chain rattle.

After riding a dually (even for 20mins), I'd never go back to a hardtail.  It is more comfy and faster over the rough stuff, rides better than my 93 Hilux (wouldn't be hard :blush:).  My first ever 'race' was on the wife's Giant and it took me about 20mins/lap pushing it fairly hard.  I only rode at 80% of that effort on the Norco & with my L knee killing me and did 20:30.

Can't wait for my knee to get better so I can give it a proper whirl.

Unlike triathlon, with MTB I get the exercise, but without the monotony.  It's just so much fun and you are always concentrating on the terrain & are out in the bush which takes your mind off the aerobic hurt.....except the crashing & hurting yourself bits which hopefully will be less often now I'm on a decent bike that fits.

Norco&Hilux.jpg

Nice bike, the Norco's are great value. My son has been riding one for 3 years.

If it doesn't have a dropper post then i would recommend getting one. It makes any descents easier as just drop the seat and weight back. 

I run about 28psi rear/26psi front on tubed tyres, if super rocky the go higher to save pich flats and your rim's.

Tuning your suspension can make a huge difference to the way the bike rides, so if you don't have a shock pump they are worth getting. (my son rides my bike then adjusts the suspension, i ride it until he adjusts it again, each time it rides better after he has played with it.)

go have fun

What Rory said! Only thing I’d add would be FFS don’t cut your bars down! Narrow bars suck! Short stem, wide bars = awesome!

Here's my ute, sons with his norco and my niner on the roof. Just because I can!

SAM_4442.JPG

On 11/05/2018 at 6:11 PM, Chookman said:

What Rory said! Only thing I’d add would be FFS don’t cut your bars down! Narrow bars suck! Short stem, wide bars = awesome!

OK. I'll leave em.

After an otherwise enjoyable first lap of Manly Dam yesterday, I withdraw my earlier comment about flats.  Going back to SPDs

And 35psi is still too high.  Need to investigate tubeless options ASAP

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, IronJimbo said:

After an otherwise enjoyable first lap of Manly Dam yesterday, I withdraw my earlier comment about flats.  Going back to SPDs

And 35psi is still too high.  Need to investigate tubeless options ASAP

Stick with flats, they'll make you a better rider. What happened? Did you get bounced off your pedals? Do you have a dropper? When you ride flats you need to think "heavy feet, light hands". when descending, drop your heels. If you go off a drop keep your heels down;  weight back slightly. Don't do what a lot a lot of SPD users do and try and lift when going off a drop. If your feet are coming away from the pedals it means you are lifting; it is not the bike falling away from you. 

It's more the lack of a complete pedal stroke when going uphill that I'm used to on the roadies, although that's probably something else which doesn't translate to MTB

I handled the downhills pretty well once I got my weight distribution figured out.  The dropper came in very handy

Manly Dam is a great ride though, really good mix of terrain.  Manageable, but still testing enough to cut your teeth on.  I had a good run around Red Hill on Sunday afternoon too, I might get the MTB over there on the weekend for a bit of a scout

Rode in Oxford Falls last weekend for first time. Below is loop I did some off. Map from Trail Forks which is a great app for your phone. I rode up and down Ground Control as part of riding slippery dip trail. I parked on Morgan Rd where a few others had parked. It was nicer riding than Manly dam in my view

Tyre pressure on the 29er was 26/28 and could have gone lower but I'm 90kg.

If i get the chance this weekend will ride the below loop.

I prefer SPD over flats for the climbing as well, just easier and no thinking. 

image.png.b6cbea8eb82dc8e8c5e04cb8c4613eb0.png

Ground control is the trail I rode a couple of months ago.  Bit off a bit more than I could chew, but I'm looking forward to getting back over there once I get me some more skills