Heard a fair bit about this movie and seems to be getting great review, although I have it on my to watch list. Sounds like the filmmaker was hit in the arse with a rainbow when the story blew up bigger than he could have imagined. Interesting interview Lance did with the filmmaker on his Foward podcast.

Anyone watched it yet?

30 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

Heard a fair bit about this movie and seems to be getting great review, although I have it on my to watch list. Sounds like the filmmaker was hit in the arse with a rainbow when the story blew up bigger than he could have imagined. Interesting interview Lance did with the filmmaker on his Foward podcast.

Anyone watched it yet?

Yes, awesome film .... even before it became interesting with the Russians and Sochi!!! Says so much about sport in society (and sport and society) these days!!

Watch it and report back.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Welcome to the party. Last august  

I only party where the cool kids play. Not in the sand box. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great film.

Yesterday Lance just released part 1 of a Forward podcast interviewing Brian Fogel , star and director of Icarus. Lance starts opening up on his doping program etc. 

Interesting stuff to hear the comparisons, Lance says Fogel didn't need to do 70% of the stuff he was doing to dope successfully, and he was gobsmacked at what the Russians were doing.

9 hours ago, The new guy said:

Great film.

Yesterday Lance just released part 1 of a Forward podcast interviewing Brian Fogel , star and director of Icarus. Lance starts opening up on his doping program etc. 

Interesting stuff to hear the comparisons, Lance says Fogel didn't need to do 70% of the stuff he was doing to dope successfully, and he was gobsmacked at what the Russians were doing.

Lance's pod cast are awesome. He often makes jokes at his own expense & talks about his doping past.  One of my favourite lines is when interviewing a NFL who tweeted a support to the LGTBQ Community. The player tweeted support for gay marriage. The next morning he woke up to thousands of hate tweets & thousands of people stopped following him on twitter

went something like this 

Player: You don't know what it's like to suddenly have thousands of people who once loved you then hate you over night

Lance: ha, believe me I know how it feels........

I used to listen to the pod cast during my long training sessions. Haven't listened to one in about 6 months. 

Best doco I saw last year. Something about being in the right place at the right time.

So saying, I think even without the sochi issues, I think it would have been a very interesting doco anyway.

(And I might need to listen to Lance' podcast, if only for the interview with Fogel.)

Watch it. It is very interesting. The Russians got off lightly in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

Watch it. It is very interesting. The Russians got off lightly in my opinion.

The part of the docowhen they are sitting down with the IOC members the head woman didn't care. 

The question she ask was, is he sorry. Then they rules that 2/3 of the team could go to the Olympics. 

He was naming names and how they did it, and she couldn't give a shit. 

She now owns several penthouses around the world thanks to Putin. 

Why would anyone bother watching the Olympics now?  

Why would TV stations bother with buying the rights?

Total joke that you can dope and get away with it.

Might as well let Lance off now.

Yeah, this has really damaged the Olympics in my view. The IOC missed the chance to show they are serious about doping and have blown their credibility.

As Lance pointed out, his is no longer the biggest, most sophisticated and scandalous doping scheme that has been uncovered in sport.

Whilst it's  all a giant farce, there is some twisted logic to the IOC playing it this way. Without any stats to back it up, I think it's fair to assume that the majority of spectators/viewers of an Olympics globally have little or no idea what has happened in those sport since the last Olympics. Think of it like the Melbourne cup. Once a year everyone watches that race, many of which will not watch another race for the rest of the year.

If the IOC actually play hardball, and confirm everything that Russia has done, there is nowhere to hide, and it becomes a farce 'to the general public' rather than sports fans who have been following the saga or who have watched Icarus etc.

the ignorance of the issue is keeping the Olympics relevant to the general public. The Olympics are the pinnacle of the majority of sports that are included. The knock on effect to global sports would be staggering if it was widely accepted that state sponsored doping programs and illegal doping test measures where now known and likely more common than we would believe. During the film it is explained that the IOC put pressure on China to cease high quality steroid production once Beijing was confirmed. If they were selling to Russia which we are led to believe, there was likely a similar program happening within Chinese sports.

One part of that film that was really concerning (spoken in more detail in the forward podcast) is that if the IOC admits that sampling bottles are no longer tamper proof, athletes have the ability to argue that any adverse analytical finding using that method is invalid, which opens up a whole can of worms...

I think it is very likely China had a program in place for the Beijing Olympics as a minimum.

The general public will be very aware of this once the film sweeps all the documentary awards.

47 minutes ago, Naut said:

I think it is very likely China had a program in place for the Beijing Olympics as a minimum.

The general public will be very aware of this once the film sweeps all the documentary awards.

Whilst possibly true, they didn't actually tamper with the urine tests of their athletes when they won medals. 

They might have doped leading into the Olympics, but the Russians were still taking the days of their medal wins 

1 hour ago, The new guy said:

Whilst it's  all a giant farce, there is some twisted logic to the IOC playing it this way. Without any stats to back it up, I think it's fair to assume that the majority of spectators/viewers of an Olympics globally have little or no idea what has happened in those sport since the last Olympics. Think of it like the Melbourne cup. Once a year everyone watches that race, many of which will not watch another race for the rest of the year.

Ratings have fallen over the years at the summer games

for example. NBC said ratings were down 28% in rio from London. 

I can't find the Winter Olympics stats. 

So people are tuning out. 

Over 15 days of competition, NBCU’s Olympics coverage averaged 27.5 million viewers across all platforms, including digital streaming — down 9% from 2012. But traditional TV ratings told a far grimmer story, one that began with Nielsen numbers that showed viewership for the Aug. 5 Opening Ceremony decline 28% from London.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Whilst possibly true, they didn't actually tamper with the urine tests of their athletes when they won medals. 

They might have doped leading into the Olympics, but the Russians were still taking the days of their medal wins 

Big call, there are plenty of rumours that they messed around with the urine quite a lot.