Moshy

Sold Or Not Sold, That Is The Q

Had this recent exchange on Gumtree, do you consider from the below messages, the item to be sold at this point?

image.png.dfe08883f777a5bc739b59e773177539.png

If he was asking $10 each, or 4 for $40, then yes. If the advertised price was more than $40 for the 4, then no.

Didn't see the line above. Yes. Sold. Report it to Gumtree.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Gumtree is electronic market-stall - until money and goods change hands, it's all just haggling.

It's a PITA to sell on - I've had any number of people swear on the newborn's life that they will turn up at an agreed time with an agreed amount, and never heard from them again. I just take the line, get here with the cash, and it's yours, but snooze, and you lose.

On FB i had agreed to buy something but said I couldn't collect for 2 weeks but I was happy to pay a deposit to hold the item. Old mate says yeah no problem, let me know when you will be up. Contacted to give pick up date and get details for deposit. Sorry mate someone beat you to it...

so no, not sold until you have it I guess...

It's the same buying a house. 

You can bid at auction. 

You can win 

you can even go into the house to sign the papers. 

Sitting at the table you can go, nah it's too much. 

Get up and walk away. 

You wont be popular but you can legally do it. 

OK, perhaps I should have worded my original question a little better. I understand it's not actually sold until $'s have been exchanged. So to rephrase it a little better, has the seller with his "pick up, cash, they're yours!" response, agreed to sell to the person making the inquiry and offer here? 

Edited by \m/ Moshboy \m/

7 hours ago, \m/ Moshboy \m/ said:

OK, perhaps I should have worded my original question a little better. I understand it's not actually sold until $'s have been exchanged. So to rephrase it a little better, has the seller with his "pick up, cash, they're yours!" response, agreed to sell to the person making the inquiry and offer here? 

I think no as there is still price  negotiation happening.

8 hours ago, AA7 said:

I think no as there is still price  negotiation happening.

I think you missed the line I originally did. Top line where the seller responded "Pick-up Northcotte, cash, they're yours."

Negotiations are over. He accepted the offer.

edit to add: Mind you, if you didn't get back in a reasonable time saying yes, then I suppose he couldn't be sure you would pick-up from Northcote.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Yeah I reckon if there was a response from you saying 

“done mate! Will text you re pickup” 

or something like that I would say “deal done” 

• Like 1

So what happened. 

Did you get there and it was sold to someone else?

On 1/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, Peter said:

It's the same buying a house. 

You can bid at auction. 

You can win 

you can even go into the house to sign the papers. 

Sitting at the table you can go, nah it's too much. 

Get up and walk away. 

You wont be popular but you can legally do it. 

Interesting.  Which is why I guess the only time we bought @ auction and were naive babes in the woods the real estate agent made us pay the deposit straight away - so then we were locked in.....or were we?

16 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah I reckon if there was a response from you saying 

“done mate! Will text you re pickup” 

or something like that I would say “deal done” 

As the buyer here, it played out as follows - :

Me: contact seller a couple hours later, basically saying "done, are you available for me to pick it up tonight?"

Seller:  sorry, sold to someone else, let you know if it falls through. 

Me: Get a little butt hurt and call him out on it.  I interpteted his initial reply of "pick up Northcote, cash, they're yours!" to my "will you take $40? " as acceptance, he did not. Hence I thought I'd get some outside perspective from you guys. 

A couple of reasonably civilised messages back and forth later, I agree to disagree.

Based on responses here, not as black and white as I thought, so even though I still don't agree, I will concede there is probably grey middle ground here.  

Situation was probably heightened, by recent non favourable dealings (both as a seller and buyer),  on Gumtree, similar to ones posted above. This was the straw that broke the camels back. 

Take home message for me here is, if I only stand to make or save <$100 when buying or selling on Gumtree, then it's not worth the hassle!

Thanks for the feedback on my first world problems. 

Edited by \m/ Moshboy \m/
  • Like 1

Don’t get me wrong I do think you were hard done by.

im sure if no one else popped up he would have taken your offer as a “deal” too.

i reckon if it was me selling and I was in any doubt and got another offer I would have txt you to confirm the sale.

yep I reckon you are right to be pissed but considering some of the dealing on these places at least you aren’t out of pocket. 

Gumtree is a PITA to sell/buy on, because there is never any commitment required on either side other than actual exchange of goods/cash. I've wasted too much time with GT on buyers saying they'll turn up but never show, leaving you turning away other buyers if you wait for them. I've just had to take a hard line and tell people, it's yours if you are the first here with cash.

Despite the added costs, I still prefer to sell on Ebay, because the buyer is forced to commit payment and knows that until they do the item is not theirs.

I sell a lot (and I mean a lot) of stuff on FB. I used to use ebay, and dabbled in gumtree, but I've found FB much better as you can localise your selling and get a lot less people not pick-up. Yes, there are a few, but there is a rule on most of the pages that if you are reported for that a couple times, you're out.

Their policy on when it's sold is simple.

PREFERRED BUYING/ SELLING PROTOCOL
· First to comment with clear intention to buy - preferably SOLD reserves first sale to an item, (no PM's)
· or If a question is to be asked, comment “SOLD PENDING” followed by THE QUESTION.
· If “SOLD PENDING” is commented, the following buyer may write "NIL", Next In Line NB:any conditions imposed on 'sold pending' are at the seller's discretion

Hey Ex, how did you go selling those plants on bicycle market :lol: 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Interesting.  Which is why I guess the only time we bought @ auction and were naive babes in the woods the real estate agent made us pay the deposit straight away - so then we were locked in.....or were we?

Yes and no. You'd lose the deposit. Usually 5k on a Saturday. 

But you still have to sign before handing the deposit over. 

Anyone that pays the full deposit on a Saturday is crazy. 

Nb. I'm a buyers advocate. 

30 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hey Ex, how did you go selling those plants on bicycle market :lol: 

As I said, I sell a lot. I think only 1 F-U in 3 years is pretty good. :)

Anyway, why shouldn't I give the guys an opportunity to buy flowers for their wife to soften the blow of a $2k bike they bought for themselves.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes and no. You'd lose the deposit. Usually 5k on a Saturday. 

But you still have to sign before handing the deposit over. 

Anyone that pays the full deposit on a Saturday is crazy. 

Nb. I'm a buyers advocate. 

$5K?  They made us pay 10% = $21K within minutes of the auction finishing.  It was a weekday.

I can't remember about the signing - but I think we had to sign something?

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

$5K?  They made us pay 10% = $21K within minutes of the auction finishing.  It was a weekday.

I can't remember about the signing - but I think we had to sign something?

You have to sign a contract. Both parties have to. 

With the 50+ properties I bought at auction last year, I never once had clients pay more that 5k at the fall of the hammer. 

The remainder was paid on the following mon/tue but certainly not 10% 

but it might be different in you location. 

Edited by Peter