Sign in to follow this  
Go Easy

Canadian Rockies & Alaska Cruise

My other half has always wanted to do a Canada / Alaska trip and has found the following...

http://nexusholidays.com.au/product/breathtaking-canadian-rockies-alaska-cruise-16-days/

It looks fantastic, and it's certainly more than what we would normally do on our budget holidays, but figure you only live once!

It's very unusual for us to go anywhere without a race, but I hear there's a run up Grouse Mountain that every 'Weekend Warrior' should do at least once.  So... if I'm looking at adding another day or several to do 'The Grind' and look around Vanvcouver and Banf etc is there anything else in particular that's a 'must see' while in that part of the world?

Is it worth flying over to see Niagara falls?  I know it's on the other side of the country but who know when we'll get back over there to do it on a future trip.  Plus I think it's a long way from anywhere so it will never be a real easy add on to another holiday even if we're on that side of the country.

If you want an amazing life experience, go on a river rafting expedition with this lot:

https://nahanni.com/

Many years ago, I went on a 1 week expedition down the Alsek River from Whitehorse, Yukon. We saw grizzlies, eagles, mountain goats etc etc and paddled past iceburgs and under glaciers. Their trips on the Tatshenshini and Nahanni Rivers are supposed to be stunning.

It's a long way to Canada so might as well make it worth your while.

Also, Lake Louise just outside of Banff is the postcard perfect place to visit. Google images it and you'll see what I mean.

The big hotel - The Fairmont Chateau - overlooking the lake is great place to stay if you want to spend some time hiking around the national park.

Also check out Spirit Island at Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park. It's gorgeous and has popped up in many movies.

• Like 1

+1 for Lake Louise over Banff. Would also recommend the hike from the LL Chateau to "Plain of Six Glaciers Tea House", and plan to have something to eat/drink there and take in the view. If you ride horses, there is a ranch in Jasper that has access to some spectacular trails.

Supported bike tour on the Icefields Parkway (example: http://www.rockymountaincycle.com/icefields.html)

I personally wouldn't fly across the country to Niagara when you are already in BC. I would just do more things in BC. "West is best!". Words to live by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, in Canada West is best. I've also seen Niagra and although stunning, it's a tourist trap and not worth the long flight to get to. I also spent a month in Nova Scotia on the East side - felt like I was back in Geelong - on the wrong side of town and without the surf beaches.

You just jogged my memory - I went horse riding from Jasper too I think.

The coast from Vancouver up to Squamish was quite lovely and I think that area is well worth exploring. We went across to Victoria Island to see the big trees in the Pacific Rim National Park. At that time, there was a lot of logging going on which was sad and plenty of tension between the Greenies and loggers. There might still be Bunging Jumping over there too. That was fun.

Edited by The Customer

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:02 AM, The Customer said:

If you want an amazing life experience, go on a river rafting expedition with this lot:

https://nahanni.com/

That's something that I hadn't even thought of doing, but it looks great so will look into it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's all good useful advice as we want to make the most of it while we're over there :thumbsup:.

Good point TC. Also add Rock Climbing and MTBing at Squamish to the list. Run around (or hire bikes and ride around) Stanley Park in downtown Vancouver (about 10k, mostly seawall).

• Like 1