Peter

Schoeman won bronze and IOC knew he was a drug cheat

https://sputniknews.com/amp/world/201801171060833854-olympics-doping-schoeman-tested/?__twitter_impression=true

Shocking internal International Olympic Committee emails obtained by Sputnik reveal that in 2016 a bronze medal winning South African triathlete tested positive for a "performance improving" drug, without providing a Therapeutic Use Exemption from his doctor.

Henri Schoeman is a 27-year-old South African triathlete, who has racked up an impressive record over the course of a comparatively brief sporting career — he represented his country at the 2016 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Cozumel, winning gold, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, where he won bronze in the men's triathlon, and the 2014 Commonwealth Games, securing a silver medal in the mixed relay. His 2016 bronze marked the first Olympic medal South Africa has won in the sport. 

His performance on the day had me thinking he was suspicious and that was before I had found out he had been "sick". 

This is just confirmation for my suspicions.

I'm South African born Aussie, very happy that Saffa's got a look in at Triathlon - love following RD Murray - but watching Schoeman since the Olympics, especially at Super League Hamilton things really didn't add up about how he suddenly nabbed bronze against the big names at the olympics. 

Disapointing to say the least. 

In saying that jan frodo came from no where to win gold at the olympics. 

On 19/01/2018 at 11:38 AM, Peter said:

In saying that jan frodo came from no where to win gold at the olympics. 

Similiar to schoeman, frodeno was not the one from that nation I would have picked. 2008 I would have picked Daniel Unger as first German and 2016 Richard Murray as first south African

From his statement it appears to be a no: 

"After thorough investigation by the IOC, WADA and ITU, I have received a letter confirming what I have known all along.

There has never been a positive result, an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) or a necessity for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).

I have never failed a drug test in my sporting career nor have I ever had to apply for a TUE."

2 hours ago, johan said:

From his statement it appears to be a no: 

"After thorough investigation by the IOC, WADA and ITU, I have received a letter confirming what I have known all along.

There has never been a positive result, an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) or a necessity for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE).

I have never failed a drug test in my sporting career nor have I ever had to apply for a TUE."

He should have shown the letter.

lance also never tested positive. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

He should have shown the letter.

lance also never tested positive. 

Yes the wording doesn't say I never took the stuff. 'Never ABUSE a ped', is no where near the same as 'I have never taken  prednosoline' .

We have heard all the clever wording before. 

It makes no sense either.  He tested positive.  He wrote it on the form.  He didn't have a TUE and didn't get a retrospective one.  How has he been cleared?  If the B sample cleared then just say that, otherwise this needs an explanation

To put that into context, here are the statements.

ITU (via Twitter)

STATEMENT: Following the investigation opened by ITU and the IOC on @H_Schoeman, ITU wants to declare that the case was not considered to show any Anti-Doping rule violation and we thank Schoeman for his full cooperation during the process

ITU (via triathlon.org)

Following the investigation opened by ITU and the IOC over the publication on some media outlets of allegations involving Henri Schoeman and an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) that would have occurred during the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, all parties involved want to declare that the case was not considered to be any Anti-Doping rule violation.

The result management went in accordance with the WADA rules and the process concluded that no AAF was recorded. As a result, the case was not considered to be, nor did it result in, an Anti-Doping Rule violation.

ITU wants to acknowledge and thank Mr. Henri Schoeman, who has been fully cooperative, providing any information to both the IOC and to ITU during this investigation process, since the information was publicly disclosed.

ITU President, Marisol Casado, said: “We feel extremely satisfied that this investigation is completely closed and clears the name of an athlete who has been cooperative, supportive and always assisted ITU and the IOC to clarify these circumstances, even under a lot of pressure. The professionalism and openness shown by Henri Schoeman should be an example for any athlete that could face a situation like this. In ITU we strongly believe in clean sport, because that’s what makes our sport, and our athletes, great”.

ITU Anti-Doping Director, Leslie Buchanan, said: “Every year, ITU commits its time, effort, energy and a substantial budget to our anti-doping mission, and we will continue to do so. Our organization is absolutely committed to eradicating the use of prohibited substances and methods in triathlon, but ITU is also fully committed to protecting our athletes in instances such as this”.

The IOC is investigating the circumstances in which the information about Henri Schoeman was publicly disclosed and is taking steps to protect athletes’ confidential information. The IOC strongly condemns and will prosecute any unlawful attempts to disclose any confidential information.

On 25/01/2018 at 9:55 PM, Slunnie said:

It makes no difference now if he did or didn't. He has been judged guilty.

So he's not guilty?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

He took the drug. 

Wada and the itu just didn't bust him 

the people who are authorised to make the decision on the basis of the evidence presented did not find against him?

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

So he's not guilty?

We dont know more than ITU, WADA and IOC to determine they are wrong?

Edited by Slunnie

Well we know not to trust sporting bodies who have only their own interests at heart.  We also know that there is no transparency to give us confidence as to why a positive test result without a TUE should result in no AAF.

26 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

so we know better than the IOC ITU WADA on the basis of a shonky Russian web site?

The facts are he took the drug. 

But wasnt tested officially by the itu 

but was unofficially tested. But they never processed the test. 

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

The facts are he took the drug. 

But wasnt tested officially by the itu 

but was unofficially tested. But they never processed the test. 

https://www.triathlon.org/news/article/statement_regarding_mr._henri_schoeman He's done nothing wrong and broken no rule what is the issue. Why is jan frodeno being drawn into this thread