Sign in to follow this  
pieman

WTB- Rear disc wheel

Clincher disc wheel wanted. Prefer 11 speed (or capability to be machined). If anybody knows anybody that has one.

Prefer <$1k

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Clincher disc wheel wanted. Prefer 11 speed (or capability to be machined). If anybody knows anybody that has one.

Prefer <$1k

Corima? 11 speed (with cassette) and $450? Few small marks but price is right ;) Conti rear tyre or Corsa Evo, can't remember. It's only 74km old. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Mad if you don't pieman - it's been tested by a fellow husky gent :D

stress tested? 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Corima? 11 speed (with cassette) and $450? Few small marks but price is right ;) Conti rear tyre or Corsa Evo, can't remember. It's only 74km old. 

Does it make the whoomp whoomp sound? 

Interested, just looking for aero data on Corima.. :D

On 18/01/2018 at 11:41 AM, willie said:

Just reading this again and see it comes with tyre

Is it a tubbie? That would explain the price etc..? Aren't tubs a pain in bum?  

ah i didnt read clincher in the original post... they're only a pain if you dont know how to use em! 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

ah i didnt read clincher in the original post... they're only a pain if you dont know how to use em! 

Yeah I am starting to think at this price it is worth taking a trip to the dark side... just looking at youtubes (and old threads) about how much of a ballache it is...

On 23/01/2018 at 9:23 AM, pieman said:

Yeah I am starting to think at this price it is worth taking a trip to the dark side... just looking at youtubes (and old threads) about how much of a ballache it is...

Just switched to tubbies. They are a PITA initially as I was flying blind. If I knew then what I know now, would have been much easier i.e using tape instead of glue, how to remove old glue, tyre selection, sealant, what to carry in a race etc etc I would definitely recommend the switch though. 

5 minutes ago, zed said:

Just switched to tubbies. They are a PITA initially as I was flying blind. If I knew then what I know now, would have been much easier i.e using tape instead of glue, how to remove old glue, tyre selection, sealant, what to carry in a race etc etc I would definitely recommend the switch though. 

Funny As I've been trying to pm you about your historic experiences with the renn discs and your recent switch to tubs.. thanks for chiming in... (still torn though)

It said you couldn't recieve messages.. ? 

Edited by pieman
More info

Sorry my inbox was full. All clear now.

if you can find a good clincher disc at a decent price, perhaps go for that if you don't want to go through the initial PITA stage that I went through with tubbies. Although I've got some pretty good tips that will lessen the punishment!  I watched all the YouTube videos too, 3 day gluing process.... I'm thinking WTF....  but with the Caden tape (free from Ben) takes 10 mins to tape a wheel. 

Renn disc was good. I liked it, cheap, well built and fast. Made a great sound too. I prefer my Zipp 900 though, quicker and stiffer. I got it 2nd hand for the same price as the Renn, only used twice. So some bargains out thee if you do go for tubbies.

Yeah there seems to be plenty of used tubs around the same price as new clincher so i was going the clincher but willies is about half the price... 

As you can see there's a few light. Marks on it from travel etc. But I'll pump it up now and go ride to work and back on it (need to pick something up) and let you know how it goes. 

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Yeah there seems to be plenty of used tubs around the same price as new clincher so i was going the clincher but willies is about half the price... 

Used tubs same price as new clincher? As in Disc?? I'm seeing Zipp 900s, Sub 9s (tubs) little use going for $600 - $700. There's a guy in Brissie selling a Sub9/404 wheelset for $1k.

But if you do get a tubbie disc, you're going to want a tubbie front. So that could be a problem. You definitely don't want to be riding with one tub and 1 clincher.

52 minutes ago, zed said:

Used tubs same price as new clincher? As in Disc?? I'm seeing Zipp 900s, Sub 9s (tubs) little use going for $600 - $700. There's a guy in Brissie selling a Sub9/404 wheelset for $1k.

But if you do get a tubbie disc, you're going to want a tubbie front. So that could be a problem. You definitely don't want to be riding with one tub and 1 clincher.

One of each was exactly what i was planning... just not taking a spare run at all...

My head hurts..

What front wheel have you got? And are you doing 70.3s and Fulls or just shorter stuff?

80mm clincher.  Only do Olympic at moment. If i go longer again I'll pack a spare

16 minutes ago, pieman said:

80mm clincher.  Only do Olympic at moment. If i go longer again I'll pack a spare

Personally I'd stick to trying to find a well priced clincher disc, rather than running a clincher and a tub. Or selling your front and buying a tub wheelset. But I suppose it only really matters if you flat. 

Edited by zed

I've never flatted in a race on a tubbie. I only ever carried a spare once. I lost it (Geelong 70.3) and never bothered again. 

8 hours ago, willie said:

As you can see there's a few light. Marks on it from travel etc. But I'll pump it up now and go ride to work and back on it (need to pick something up) and let you know how it goes. 

Did you make it to work and back?  Any strava cups to verify the speed...? 😁

It's fine. Couple of songs but structurally ok. The price is right (cheap) so I'm not worried about the dings. Conti competition tubular that's not too old on as well. I can Chuck in a tubular front for another 150 if you want. Matches disc but is only 50mm deep. But smooth lime butter :) oh and wheel bags. You can have some. 

Sign in to follow this