Jump to content
Turts

most patronising thing said

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The only time I've ever launched into another competitor was when I was leading a bike leg, and an A-hole never got more than 1m behind me for basically the whole ride. I repeatedly told him to F-off, and all he said was "it's not me you have to worry about, it's the guy further back that runs fast." Other than that, I've only ever offered encouragement, or nothing.

A-hole.

Justifiable that one.  Have done similar in one of my first races.  Drafted me whole bike leg.  But in transition i tapped him on the bum and said try and draft now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Turts said:

So whats the most patronising thing you've heard someone say to, about or in front of you, about being a triathlete?

 

I was at the pool tonight, and getting my gear out at the one empty lane in the outdoor pool.  I was looking intently, to make sure it was empty, and the two women in the next lane looked at me and asked if I was going for a swim?

Der.  I said yep, just glad I have a lane to myself.   Said I like my own lane, because (in my usual self depracating way) I'm slow (and doing drills). 

One of the women said, "  do you do triathlons? "

I said yeah I do - why,? does that explain why I'm slow?

She turned to her friend and said "thats what always gets them, the swim".

Then turned back to me and said "well at least you're having a go"

 

She had a masters swim cap on. 

Easy response........ what’s your best Ironman time!!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Wow, that is awful.

True, but not actually patronising. Just rude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What are you doing Merv? Is this your first race or something? Why can't you find your shoes? What sort of two bit race ya doing?"

-Me to Merv in t2 at Noosa about 10 years ago as he ran up and down looking for his rack.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Easy response........ what’s your best Ironman time!!!!

I like that. 

I had a battle in the pool myself yesterday. Guy was swimming slow. I said this is the fast lane. He said he was swimming fast. 

I said let's swim 50 mtr and whoever get there second move to the slow lane. I got to the end and had already moved. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Did you win?"

I get that question each time I said I participated in a triathlon, half IM, IM, road run, park run etc. on the weekend

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Easy response........ what’s your best Ironman time!!!!

Dont ask that around these parts. They'll probably reply with "I won Kona". LoL.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Justifiable that one.  Have done similar in one of my first races.  Drafted me whole bike leg.  But in transition i tapped him on the bum and said try and draft now

I've done that too......drafted whole bike leg, was racked closer to exit then me, caught him in first k, asked him he he was going to tail me for the next 20k, next turnaround about 2k down the road he was back about 1min'ish, i quizzed him why was he not on my tail with all the energy he saved on the bike.  Kept shrugging everytime i saw him and he was further back.  He got the shits...... out split him by 20+mins on the run, saw him in the recovery area, he avoided me.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Peter said:

I like that. 

I had a battle in the pool myself yesterday. Guy was swimming slow. I said this is the fast lane. He said he was swimming fast. 

I said let's swim 50 mtr and whoever get there second move to the slow lane. I got to the end and had already moved. 

But fast is relative.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, k3vski said:

"Did you win?"

I get that question each time I said I participated in a triathlon, half IM, IM, road run, park run etc. on the weekend

Yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, k3vski said:

"Did you win?"

I get that question each time I said I participated in a triathlon, half IM, IM, road run, park run etc. on the weekend

 

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yeah

 

+2  - I did actually win..............once..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I travel to races with my friends, I often get asked, "are you having a go too?" Usually gets followed by, "as part of a team?" Have to explain that I'm doing the whole thing.

After the World Champs 70.3 last year, I was sitting in the VIP recovery area waiting for the Bahraini women to finish their races - about 90min to 2hrs after I finished. A TV reporter was interviewing them as they came over the line. I got a tap on the shoulder and was asked if they could interview me too. I was quite flattered as I didn't think BHTV knew who I was. The reporter leans in with the mic and says, "So, what do you think of the Bahrainis?" 🤔😣

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

With just a little bit more class, you would be a real dead shit - Uncle Peter

You're as smooth as a ripple on a bucket of shit - Dad 

This is good - winner I'd say B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Customer said:

When I travel to races with my friends, I often get asked, "are you having a go too?" Usually gets followed by, "as part of a team?" Have to explain that I'm doing the whole thing.

After the World Champs 70.3 last year, I was sitting in the VIP recovery area waiting for the Bahraini women to finish their races - about 90min to 2hrs after I finished. A TV reporter was interviewing them as they came over the line. I got a tap on the shoulder and was asked if they could interview me too. I was quite flattered as I didn't think BHTV knew who I was. The reporter leans in with the mic and says, "So, what do you think of the Bahrainis?" 🤔😣

🎵 "Who are you?" sang Roger Daltry 🎸

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, k3vski said:

"Did you win?"

I get that question each time I said I participated in a triathlon, half IM, IM, road run, park run etc. on the weekend

 

 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day after finishing IM Melbourne was in the office talking (ok bragging) and a  guy leans over the cubicle and said "You did the Ironman? You don't look like an athlete".   Screw you buddy.

Edited by ScubaSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, k3vski said:

"Did you win?"

I get that question each time I said I participated in a triathlon, half IM, IM, road run, park run etc. on the weekend

A guy I worked with used to do something similar, only he’d say “are you going to win?” To which, of course, I’d answer “no”. 

“Well, you definitely won’t with that attitude!” was the inevitable response 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, downesy68 said:

A guy I worked with used to do something similar, only he’d say “are you going to win?” To which, of course, I’d answer “no”. 

“Well, you definitely won’t with that attitude!” was the inevitable response 😂

My In-laws don't get it - the FIL made the statement that it doesn't take much for me to win, I just have to hope those in front pull out. with my best IM time at just under 14 hours, I don't think that I will ever pull a Bradbury. If everyone in front of me was to pull out, there are worse issues, and the race will have been cancelled, and I will get pulled as well.

Apparently this means I have the wrong attitude...

And I thought it meant I have the correct attitude. I am not in this to win, I just want to go out and smash myself, and have a little fun at the same time - Winning? Meh - that sounds like hard work :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing my run off the bike up at Terrey Hills and a mate rides past yelling "walker left".

What and ass hat.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id rather be tied naked to a ants nest and smeared with honey before attending a master swim carnival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

My In-laws don't get it - the FIL made the statement that it doesn't take much for me to win, I just have to hope those in front pull out. with my best IM time at just under 14 hours, I don't think that I will ever pull a Bradbury. If everyone in front of me was to pull out, there are worse issues, and the race will have been cancelled, and I will get pulled as well.

Apparently this means I have the wrong attitude...

And I thought it meant I have the correct attitude. I am not in this to win, I just want to go out and smash myself, and have a little fun at the same time - Winning? Meh - that sounds like hard work :D

My first duathlon my dad asked if i won i said came 4th.  Then he says maybe if you put a motor on your bike you will win. 

By the way the three in front of me were Gambles, Porte and Petland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

My first duathlon my dad asked if i won i said came 4th.  Then he says maybe if you put a motor on your bike you will win. 

By the way the three in front of me were Gambles, Porte and Petland

Similar thing happened to me before last weeks critical race. 

Daughter: What's the plan for tonights race?

Me: not sure, might try for a sneaky break away 

Daughter: your sprint is crap, so that's probably a good idea

Breaks didn't stick, worked my ass off but got 4th in the sprint. After the race. 

Daughter: What happened? 

Me: I got 4th 

Daughter: Do you really think that's good enough? (said in a harsh tone) 

Hour later at the burger place. 

Daughter: Maybe get a small fries Dad, you only got 4th. 

 

That kid is brutal.

 

 

BTW 4th in that field is awesome 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only time I invited Mum to watch merace was at the Torquay Long course many, many moons ago.

Came 4th in my Age Group. In an attempt to make me feel better, she said, "You may not have been first over the line, but you were definitely the biggest." :mellow:

Edited by The Customer
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Only time I invited Mum to watch a watch was at the Torquay Long course many, many moons ago.

Came 4th in my Age Group. In an attempt to make me feel better, she said, "You may not have been first over the line, but you were definitely the biggest." :mellow:

ouch that's terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×