symo

Holiday Hawaii - 7 days June/July

Ok - got 7 days with partner and the 8yo boy in Hawaii on the back of a Canada trip.  

Good things in Oahu - can get a car?

Places to stay - under 400aus pn approx?

Trip to Big Island possible  so may split 4 to 3 days across islands - how easy to drive from Kona to Volcanos?  May just keep to Oahu as dont want to bust our butts travelling too much at the end of the trip

Good spots to stay?

Unless you are going to do a race - sandbox (especially as I wont be back there for a few years :lol:).

FM

24 minutes ago, symo said:

how easy to drive from Kona to Volcanos? 

Easy.

Need a 4x4 above a certain point.

Check your rental deal if they allow it though.

Standard Tourism 101 for O’ahu 

id put this first, just a great day - railway trail to the top, smash yourself, then walk back down to the bay across the road.  Uber out there though there is a Bus. Or hire car. Crater trail free, charge for the bay.  Very easy walk from trail down to the bay.

Diomond Head 

Hire a car and do north shore.  

Swim of the front of Waikiki. 

Oh,  Swim - look up Waikiki swim club and email them, very acomadating. May take a week or two to get back to you but they will.

yardhouse sports bar, good one across the road too, American name 

8D28907E-A99D-4F7F-9B95-048E4C328441.png

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Yes got excited and forgot the sandbox.  If I promise to run 50m down Alli drive can I count it as training and leave it here?

• Haha 1

Do a cruise. All islands. Taster of everything. 

P and o I think. 

I haven't been to Hawaii for 25 years and when I was there I didn't have to keep an 8yo entertained so my advice may not be relevant.

I've been to the Big Island numerous times (including exploring well beyond Kona), Kauai twice, Maui once and spent minimal time in Honolulu.

If I were to spend one week (or even two) in Hawaii, I'd choose to spend it on Kauai.

Pearl Harbor too, think everybody that goes there should pay their respects at least once.  

think you have to book direct  a bit out or do a tour company.

beauty of Hawaii is its tropical meets first world.  It will never be Asian tropical paradise but it is what it is and that’s why it’s a tourist Mecca. 

Been to Maui for a friends wedding, or as they said, to be with them when they got Maui'd and then went to Kauai.  Kauai was amazing. North east of Maui was like Jurassic Park

Pearl Harbour + Missouri battleship (Missouri not included in standard memorial visit), hire a car for a day and drive around the island visiting the north shore as noted above, do a Luau, visit the Polynesian cultural centre, Alama Moama mall, hire a surfboard, have a long swim coz you can on Waikiki trying not to get hit by a surfer, visit the Army museum if you like that sort of thing, it's down the end near the marina.

Maui is good, bit different to Oahu though - more like driving down the NSW coast rather than staying in a hotel on the gold coast.  Very nice to drive around with great scenery as noted looking like Jurassic park, but not hustle and bustle.  You can drive up to the 10,000ft volcano and walk around there to try work on your high altitude training too.  Accommodation in Maui is fairly expensive, it would be probably around a $2-3k side-trip to go there for 4 days.

Most of the Waikiki hotels are good enough and not too far from the main street, you can't go too far wrong.  I've stated in Waikiki Gateway (since renamed), also the Waikiki Joy, Waikiki Circle and the Hilton.  Circle was really cheap and cheerful, but good for kids at the beach with sandy feet when you get back.

Speaking of Jurasisc park, you can do a tour on Kauai and possibly Oahu to see where they filmed parts of Jurassic park.

Been to Hawaii many times over the years - as recent as last year where I had my 40th and we took the kids (they were 3 and 6). I also snuck in the 70.3 race which is on in early June on the big island if you’re keen. Great race.

Plenty of great things to do on Oahu (as noted in the above responses), but Kona and Maui are my picks. Get out to them if you can, they are such amazing places. You can easily do day trips to Lanai and Molokai from Maui. Kauai is also very beautiful but far more laid back than any of the other islands.

NFI on cost sorry, wife handles that.

32 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Goofy 002

foot, goofyfoot 

Anyway, no time for surfing, I got some nice new stubble holders that need testing. B)  You're a legend Mick, thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks all - had to adjust some dates so only now got 7 days which I reckon we can fill on Ohau relaxing and doing the sites with day trip over to Kona to see a volcano.  Being after the Canada drive I don't aim to move too much (the whinge factor may be too much to bear) as we can always go back and hit up the other islands.