roxii

Running faster by running slower. Tips please

8 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

its about running your easy stuff easy enough that you can do your fast stuff at 3:00/k goughy.

This - years of study at the elite level of endurance athletes show the sweet spot is 80/20 for loading the body for optimum performance. This allows consistency of training over years and improved performance,  its a long term game.

• Like 1

How does this theory work for shorter distances like Sprint and OD races. at the moment I do my long run where I start easy (takes a while for the old muscles to loosen up 😄) then build slowly so the last km or 2 is at above race pace.   

4 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

How does this theory work for shorter distances like Sprint and OD races. at the moment I do my long run where I start easy (takes a while for the old muscles to loosen up 😄) then build slowly so the last km or 2 is at above race pace.   

As in faster than sprint distance race pace?

5 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

As in faster than sprint distance race pace?

My OD race pace is 5:15 - 5:20. Sprint is 4:45-4:50. Long runs vary from 60 to 90 minutes.  Start the long run at 6:00 build to what I consider a comfortable pace of 5:30  finishing off with a 5:00 - 4:50.

I think of it this way, your 10k run is a flat out 50min effort or equivalent to that.  If I considered my flat out 50min effort would I ever consider getting close to that in a long slow run?  Not a chance.  

While everyone's paces might differ it's that effort over time relevant to you that doesn't change.  

I'm not a coach and I'm relatively new to the sport compared to a lot on here but to me those paces are too quick.

On the flip side.  I also believe you've just gotta do what you enjoy.  No point grinding out slow k after slow k if that's not fun.  Everyone has a different sense of what's fun.  I can handle monotonous ks where others have to test themselves.  If you wanna run the best you can then there is plenty of info out there backing this 8020.  If you wanna have fun and enjoy yourself than just go out and do what's fun.

• Like 2

Ffs people. 

I love you all but just watch some of the running related content on YouTube by MKC. 

That's all you need to know. 

Just. Slow. Down. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm always up for something new, so might give it a go during this off season. Dunno whether 4 months will be enough time to see any changes but I'll keep you posted.  I'm inherently lazy so going slow won't be a stretch 😂

52 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Ffs people. 

I love you all but just watch some of the running related content on YouTube by MKC. 

Just. Slow. Down. 

With all due respect MKC isn't for everyone.  While I love his stuff some people just wanna go and have fun.  Performance comes second for them.  Those people aren't going to get anything from MKC cause they won't stick with it if it's boring and not enjoyable for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Well, I'm always up for something new, so might give it a go during this off season. Dunno whether 4 months will be enough time to see any changes but I'll keep you posted.  I'm inherently lazy so going slow won't be a stretch 😂

its $65 for a plan from 8020endurance.com if you have training peaks already. 

Sample week workout here https://www.trainingpeaks.com/training-plans/triathlon/olympic/tp-113279/80-20-triathlon-olympic-level-3-pace-and-power-7-to-13-hours-per-week

Edited by skinnee

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

With all due respect MKC isn't for everyone.  While I love his stuff some people just wanna go and have fun.  Performance comes second for them.  Those people aren't going to get anything from MKC cause they won't stick with it if it's boring and not enjoyable for them.

Fair call. Agree.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 8:27 AM, Cat Lady said:

My OD race pace is 5:15 - 5:20. Sprint is 4:45-4:50. Long runs vary from 60 to 90 minutes.  Start the long run at 6:00 build to what I consider a comfortable pace of 5:30  finishing off with a 5:00 - 4:50.

That seems too quick? My OD run pace is around 4.10 and my long, easy runs would be between 5 - 5.15. If you run your long runs too fast you'll be fatigued the next day and unable to run or you'll get mentally fatigued/demotivated from constantly pushing yourself or you'll get injured because of the heavy load on your body. Plus you're training in the wrong HR zone. But as Brett said you also need to enjoy your training. If you're getting frustrated with long, easy runs being too slow, perhaps to a long tempo run e.g 20kms all easy pace but with 20 - 30mins in the middle at 10km pace. 

• Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 2:05 PM, FFF1077 said:

Ffs people. 

Just. Slow. Down. 

Not everyone has 1000 USD per month

13 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

He didn't say sign up to get 1 on 1 coaching, just watch the videos.

I don't know anyone who has that sort of coin to drop on a coach.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

He didn't say sign up to get 1 on 1 coaching, just watch the videos.

I don't know anyone who has that sort of coin to drop on a coach.

True, though the video may only tell a little bit of it: 

"You'll learn training strategies and race tactics I use to generate my results as both coach and athlete...details not shared with the general public and not available elsewhere "

Could try this:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining

Edited by BarryBevan

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

True, though the video may only tell a little bit of it: 

"You'll learn training strategies and race tactics I use to generate my results as both coach and athlete...details not shared with the general public and not available elsewhere "

Could try this for free:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining

The story on Emile Zapotek is interesting.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:25 PM, BarryBevan said:

if we're talking about Matt Koorey, I get enough good info from his free FB videos and share it with patients/colleagues to watch. Consistent message seems to be stop racing in training. If he's getting 1KUS a month good luck to him.