Peter

Geelong 70.3 Enter now

Is AP racing against you? or will it be Challenge Melbourne. Let me know I'll book flights & come across. I'll buy a him a coffee.

I doubt AP will do it.  

Thru out the challenge.  I accepted. 

But he's just a keyboard Captain.

All talk.  No backup.

I'm in.  6:45 or better.

32 minutes ago, dazaau said:

$400 - unreal. It's rediculous when you think about it. 

Id like to see a breakdown of where the %s of that goes. Permits, traffic control, tucker, fluffy finish lines, suppprt infrastructure, paid employees etc.

Might make it easier to take if legit. 

Or not......

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turts said:

Id like to see a breakdown of where the %s of that goes. Permits, traffic control, tucker, fluffy finish lines, suppprt infrastructure, paid employees etc.

Might make it easier to take if legit. 

Or not......

The finishers t shirt or towel i think. 😆😆😆😆

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Agree. Haven’t told the wife yet. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dazaau said:

Yeah it is 

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

The finishers t shirt or towel i think. 😆😆😆😆

And medal?

4 hours ago, Peter said:

I doubt AP will do it.  

All talk.  No backup.

I will probably be on course somewhere on the motorbike. There will be coffee and donuts onboard,........... But not for you,grasshopper! Hahaha

33 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I will probably be on course somewhere on the motorbike. There will be coffee and donuts onboard,........... But not for you,grasshopper! Hahaha

Is scotty going to be your pillion?

13 hours ago, Peter said:

I doubt AP will do it.  

All talk.  No backup.

6.45 or better ? If I can do Port way better than that then you should. Take away another hour. 

FM

The entry fees are ridiculous. and they say they need local council contributions to make IM races viable?

4 hours ago, MissJess said:

What's the swim like? I reckon I might be a starter for next year.

My best HIM swim was Geelong, 33mins. I have also had a 40min swim there.

Just depends on which way the wind is going, and how strong. There has been years of little waves, but nothing like what I have seen in other parts of the bay. It is sheltered a bit by the yatch club as well.

Sight lines are good, and as it is the bay, a little warmer than it is 10km south in Torquay.

Clarity is... significantly better than anything I get locally, but that is not saying much, in LBG, it is clear if you can see your elbow... if no wind then you can see the bottom.

I did the race last year. Temperature didn't get above 18 degrees and it was very windy. The swim is well marked and as mentioned, sight lines are good.  The bike course is completed closed off from traffic (they shut down one side of a dual lane highway) and it is quite tough if the wind picks up (which it is likely to do). 

Happen to also live in the greater Geelong region and the weather at that time of the year is a complete crap shoot. Do recall it being the high 30's a few years back. 

Good event but not entering this year (got a free entry via work last year ;)). $400 is a bit rich. Likely to do the Sufferfest race in Warrnambool in April for less entry.

I think I have done it 4 times, one year we had no wind (it was... odd...), another it averaged 45km/h westerly with gusts over 75km. Just as there have been cold years, as markso1077 says, other years have been high 30's. 

Always good fun.

Is it the ugliest bike course in the known universe? That bit out to the turn around at pt henry road is very unattractive. 

23 minutes ago, sme1414 said:

Is it the ugliest bike course in the known universe? That bit out to the turn around at pt henry road is very unattractive. 

The old Qld Road TT course at Pinkenba took the cake. Start near a container wharf, then past the oil refineries, and turn around at the sewerage treatment plant. Filled all the senses.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, sme1414 said:

You clearly never did ironman forster. 

11 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

My best HIM swim was Geelong, 33mins. I have also had a 40min swim there.

My best swim was there also, also around 33m I think. I say it was all the jellyfish that year - I could not wait to get out of the water!! Nothing like fear to motivate you lol. 

I am happy to take up the challenge Peter - but flying to Geelong to do a HIM is out of the question - I'll make a counter offer which will suit both of us - whatever time you do at Geelong we'll double and I'll beat that time at Port IM B)

No need for any prize purse - we'll just race for honour :lol:

• Like 2