BarryBevan

Cost of events

It's been done before, but for me it is timely and starting to bite. The expense of doing an event is out of control. I'm not homeless or anything, but hundreds of dollars for an event. Costly accomodation, fuel, food, time to travel are all biting.

Ironman is a 3-5 K outlay, an interstate half not too far behind.

Local events take those costs out, allowing for that an Olympic is still over $200 just enter. Can do a bike race each month for $15 and a veterans race if keen for about the same. Park runs are free and there are cost effective run races around over longer distances.

Assuming there is some supply demand thing going on here do the high prices reflect sold out races and high demand? I'm not seeing sold out and over subscribed events though. Are tris too expensive 

Yes probably. If people can't afford it, they wont do it.

I've entered Tenby LCW again this year but only because we are turning it into a family long weekend. The entry has risen by £50 over last year. I've booked a refundable hotel for IM Wales weekend ( it doesn't sell out) with the mindset that I'll see how I go over the summer but honestly, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to drop £500 for entry and another £450 on hotels for a race I've already done.

I don't mind spending big money on experiences but I really feel like its only worth it if you see something/somewhere different. That's why things like cycle camps appeal more and more, loads of variety in terrain, packages and location.

We have some trail races, fun runs, half and full marathons, and a ton of bike racing and TTs near me. With Flipper starting school and family holidays in school time at an astronomical premium (at least over here), I do think the big ticket spend should be on stuff we all could enjoy.

Edited by FatPom

I still enjoy Ironman distance racing and living in SE Qld travel and accomodation is always needed wherever I choose to race. I only do one full race per year partly due to cost and then race locally for the other events - SC70.3, HB100, HOTW. Not that the races have ever been cheap but in the 5 years I have been doing them the value has certainly been stripped out of them. Small things like the net transition bags, numbered swim caps and the sit down events all made for a greater experience and made it all seem a bit more special. Throw in the misfortune of a cancelled swim in Busso this year and not sure I’ll be paying for another trip to WA anytime soon.

Always feel I have a love hate relationship with Ironman - love the race but hate spending the $$$

• Like 2

I've said it before.  For the cost of 1 Ironman you can do about 10-15 races a year.

Why did you get into the sport?

To train all year and do ONE race a year or to actually do Triathlons?

Don't get me wrong, I've done 10 Ironman's.  Traveled to all but 1. Paid a crap load.

People should still do them, but if it's your only race each year and maybe 1 or 2 others then maybe you have picked the wrong sport.

You are an Ironman.  Not a triathlete.

BTW I just entered the WSTC race in Vic. $25  Sprint distance. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

I've said it before.  For the cost of 1 Ironman you can do about 10-15 races a year.

Why did you get into the sport?

To train all year and do ONE race a year or to actually do Triathlons?

Don't get me wrong, I've done 10 Ironman's.  Traveled to all but 1. Paid a crap load.

People should still do them, but if it's your only race each year and maybe 1 or 2 others then maybe you have picked the wrong sport.

You are an Ironman.  Not a triathlete.

BTW I just entered the WSTC race in Vic. $25  Sprint distance. 

Club races are not real triathlons, they are glorified training sessions.

• Like 1

Just now, Oompa Loompa said:

Club races are not real triathlons, they are glorified training sessions.

Ironman is a long catered day out.

3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Ironman is a long catered day out.

Yes, yes it is...... lets be real honest, there are half dozen people racing to win the race in any triathlon, the rest are just making up the numbers - participants. Which is one of the reasons why mobs like TA have members walking away in droves, think it was over 5% last year, it is a participation sport and the value proposition is better for a lot of other things, whether a fun run, ocean swim, spartan, meal at the pub, plane ticket  whatever.   

It is a market place, you can trade of peoples passion and love for so long but eventually you have to review your product offering or pay the price, and at the moment, that price is people walking away such as the 5% less TA members and less sold out races as barry said in the original post.  

I kind of agree with Peter, but think most got in the sport to get fit.

Club races, bike rides and Trail runs are my go to these days, might do the odd independent half IM in the future.

I get two great regional clubs to do races at, generally $25 - $40 depending on the distance.  Only thing off putting about them is once you do enough races, you get bent over by the Membership fees from our governing body

Bike Rides - I do a couple of good ones where the fees are not that bad, usually Bass Coast Ride and the AMG ride - both same time of year.  Stuff Around the Bay, do Around the Other Bay instead - facebook search it for something different.  4Cs ride from Pakenham is another great one - only downside is they all fall within a 2 month time frame

Trail runs - well supported and the RDs in general are pleasant to deal with.  Colleague at work had to withdraw from 2 bays this weekend after doing this ankle last week - lost $20 only on the withdrawal.  When was the last time a Tri RD had those sort of Refund policies?

Must admit, I love paying $15 for a Wed night crit race. A nice little mid week hit out. It's a lot of fun hanging with my mates & talking crap. A few of the families have started coming out to watch and we are all going out for dinner afterwards. As others have said there is more to life than Ironman.

Having said that I have probably paid more than most to enter an Ironman race and don't regret it for a second. I have been to some great places to race. Places I had never heard of before entering the race.  

Does anyone on here do crit races at Nundah (Brisbane)?

13 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Not sure why you are asking but if you're worried about racing, Don't be.  Just rock up & say "Hi, I would like to try racing a crit" make sure people on the start line know it's your first race. They will help you out & will be very supportive.

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Not sure why you are asking but if you're worried about racing, Don't be.  Just rock up & say "Hi, I would like to try racing a crit" make sure people on the start line know it's your first race. They will help you out & will be very supportive.

I'm scared. I need someone to hold my hand! 

48 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I used to. Just drop Willow (Wayne Wilson) an email and he should be able to tell you when the next race is. They may be having a few weeks off over the holidays. He will be able to give you the low-down on grading, what time to turn up, etc, etc.

His details will be on the Hamilton Wheelers website.

Yep......totally agree. Pretty stupid that Sprints are over $100 and OD's over $200.

Very hard to justify, and is no doubt why short course racing is pretty dead when compared to 10 - 15 years ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Go over to a cycling forum and start a million threads... 😁

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

You should be scared. Crits = crashes. 

Comparatively, id be interested to see what "discretionary income" is spent on things such as meals out, alcohol, movies, netflix etc. 

Races may be pricey, but if it's what you enjoy.......

One $15 bottle of plonk a week is more than an IM entry.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AA7 said:

You should be scared. Crits = crashes. 

probably from tri noobs with no bike handling skills............

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

probably from tri noobs with no bike handling skills............

Yep, ones that do the vast majority of their bike training on a trainer.

• Like 1

I'm only raising in the lower grades at the moment & it's nice & relaxed. People give you space and help you learn what wheels to follow etc.

The intermediate team racing is a different story. Guys are chopping wheels & diving all over the place.

21 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yep, ones that do the vast majority of their bike training on a trainer.

Yes it is amazing how much bike skills you lose when on the trainer a lot.  Good to mix it up if can. 

4 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Didn't know you could do crits on a time trial bike 🤓

She has an old Malvern Star I think

• Haha 1