BarryBevan

Cost of events

4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Club races are not real triathlons, they are glorified training sessions.

Disagree 

the top 10 at our club race are total guns. 

Head to head against your club, they would school your 10 best. 

5 hours ago, FatPom said:

We have some trail races, fun runs, half and full marathons, and a ton of bike racing and TTs near me. With Flipper starting school and family holidays in school time at an astronomical premium (at least over here), I do think the big ticket spend should be on stuff we all could enjoy.

Out of interest, what's the cost of your average trail run?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Disagree 

the top 10 at our club race are total guns. 

Head to head against your club, they would school your 10 best. 

That's all right, you are allowed to disagree, it is a forum.

I'll book ten air fares now and fly ten peeps down to do a club race.... ah fark it, all ten just told me they prefer the $529 return special to Beijing ex SYD  on the red roo rather than flying to Melbourne for a club race.  Tough market, maybe next time.

When I started with this circus we had QSTS events  were $20 a pop (including tshirt & results and certificate), the courses (from goldie to airlee) were nearly all out and back or single loop  bike rides/runs (none of this 8 *5km lap shit) and we would race OD events 6 to 12 times a year.

But race promoters were, by and large, in it for love and as for investment funds owning chains of sports festivals (see how I left out the term "races") ha.

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Yes it is amazing how much bike skills you lose when on the trainer a lot.  Good to mix it up if can. 

Also riding a roadie, mtb, TT, track bike are all different. It would be good to get out on the roadie a few times before racing on it

Yes, agree, IM and HIM is expensive, particularly if need to travel. But if local not so bad - Melbourne still has two local HIMs. Being local was a big factor to do IM, even if Ironman Melbourne is not recognised as not quite the full bottle, it 'only' cost ~$1000. Who knows, maybe another will pop up locally. My interest has swung a bit to longer cycling events, some of which are cheap or free, at least in terms of entry fees. But high cycling kms is high risk, even if on gravel, quiet roads etc.

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

Out of interest, what's the cost of your average trail run?

Around here, between £15-20

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Yes it is amazing how much bike skills you lose when on the trainer a lot.  Good to mix it up if can. 

Absolutely this. I love to as many things on the bike as I can. Croats, TTs, road race, tri, track racing, sportives and camps. It keeps it interesting and your skills up. Only thing I've cut down on is riding in the worst of the U.K.  winter but that was only this year and mainly for family time reasons.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I love to as many things on the bike as I can. Croats, TTs, road race, tri, track racing, sportives and camps.

Does your wife know about Kiserlovski?

Costs are crazy and pretty much priced me out of competitive races. 

For at least the last 5 years my yearly calendar consists of two club run long course races and a handful of club run sprint races.  $5 crit races whenever they fit in.  Mooloolaba OD if I am feeling rich.

I love IM but can't justify the cost to race one every year like I used to.  I am doing an IM program at the moment but I won't be paying the thousands of dollars that it would take to actually race it.

with races not selling out, and not filling quickly would have thought prices would adjust. Suppose the running of halfs and fulls on the same day helps them hold pricing.

Long term they have a problem. Here in Canberra we don't have much in the way of club races an the OD are over $200. As said above I can do a race every month on a bike and knock out some park runs and the odd local half marathon for about the same money.

I can afford it, just don't want to drop thousands anymore. 

2 hours ago, longshot said:

Yes, agree, IM and HIM is expensive, particularly if need to travel. But if local not so bad - Melbourne still has two local HIMs. Being local was a big factor to do IM, even if Ironman Melbourne is not recognised as not quite the full bottle, it 'only' cost ~$1000. Who knows, maybe another will pop up locally. My interest has swung a bit to longer cycling events, some of which are cheap or free, at least in terms of entry fees. But high cycling kms is high risk, even if on gravel, quiet roads etc.

Yep I’m doing 2 half ironmans this year. Both ill drive to on race day. 

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yep I’m doing 2 half ironmans this year. Both ill drive to on race day. 

That's the sweet spot

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Does your wife know about Kiserlovski?

Haha. Stupid phone and 5am to Luxembourg flight. Zzzzz

I guess it depends how you wanna do the races.  We're heading to moo tri with 2 other blokes from port.  Sharing a car and a 3 bed apartment.  200 entry, fuel plus 200 each for 2 nights.  Food is hard cause you gotta eat anyway.

400 for a weekend plus a little cream on top for the food and a major oly tri.

Went to western Sydney.  400 entry 400 for 2 nights in a cabin up the road.  Same again with food.  That was with my partner and her son.  800 for a half is alright.

I am lucky I have an ironman that starts 1500m from my front door.

If you wanna take the family and stay a week plus be comfortable yes it' excy but it doesn't have to be.

I'm so cheap I can't even afford to comment in this thread!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Just Entered Rockingham Sprint Race this weekend in WA...$87.00

Qualifier for queensland.

As a former long time RD i know what these things cost to run....no one in WA is getting rich doing it.

The way i look at it they are closing the roads for a bunch of us to ride all over with no traffic issues......ill pay $87 bucks for that any day.

• Like 1