Sign in to follow this  
skel

Mobile phone cradle and GPS

My partner is setting up as an Uber driver.  He purchased a new phone yesterday (Samsung 8 I think) and we are wondering what is the best option for mobile cradle for the car.  Not sure about the stability and strength of magnetic versions and wonder if there is an option for a stronger cradle that doesn’t sit dash (can very very hot and sunny in Cairns).  

Also,  not sure on GPS.  Is google maps reliable enough or are we better puchasing a seperate GPS. We tried google maps today and it would not accept our home address when entered.

cheers  

Our cars built in GPS sux compared to Google maps. Maybe a unit you stick on the windscreen would be ok,  many of them come with lifetime map updates for free. Our cars one is like $90/yr.... Bugger that.

I find Google maps navigation far superior to it, and there is real time info on traffic (the route changes colour for busy and busier sections).  If you want my opinion, if Google doesn't have your street address, I'd be shocked if any service does!

As far as phone mounts, the best one I've had was an Exogear Exomount, which you can use one handed. The suction bit is sticky, so it really holds well.

But in our car we've changed to a fan vent mounted one. In our old car the windscreen one was ok, but in the new car, when driving to ExH's place it was really in the way.

You can get mounts that also fit into your cars cd player.  I'd get him to work out where he'd really like to place it, then see if there's a mount that will get it into that position. Since he'll be driving a lot I reckon being completely comfortable and happy with his set up will be important.

Maybe as another option (not as cheap) would be a new head unit for his car that has Android Auto built in? That way you don't really need to touch your phone as the head unit mirrors what's on your phone so you don't need to touch it.  You do have to have your phone plugged into it though, but I believe Bluetooth AA units will be coming out shortly.  You can get head units with GPS built into them, otherwise once connected they'll use the GPS from your phone (meaning you still have to have your phone in a position where it'll pick up satellites).

3 hours ago, skel said:

We tried google maps today and it would not accept our home address when entered.

cheers  

Does it pick up your neighbours house at all?  Funny thing is our first house in Melbourne in a fairly established suburb couldn't find our house on any GPS or online map.  We were No 2 Railway Parade, when we put in 1 or 3 Railway parade, it seemed to work fine.  Just tried then and still the same thing happens

Our last house was No 9, for some reason we used to get maps showing a 9A in our street, even though one didn't exist.  Didn't think anything of it other than when a taxi turned up at 3am in the morning looking for his fare from 9A and seemed upset when I told him that the address didn't exist

Uber drivers can't use Google Maps due to the licensing costs (so an Uber driver told me).

Below is the mount I use (quick photo through window as didn't have keys with me). Very adjustable and sticks extremely well. Can even be rotated to landscape. I've tried a few and this works best.

20180105_164834.jpg

just a thought, does quad lock make mounts for cars? i hear the ones for bikes are pretty good, also check out johnny Appleseed website or their stores, years ago i bought a mount for my depth sounder in my boat and it was bloody superb, cant remember the brand sorry but id check their shops and give them a call.