Peter

Are you a meal prepper?

I like the idea of it, and it would be a great thing for someone like me, cept I'm way too disorganised to do it. My idea of meal prepping is cooking sometime like spaghetti, chilli, or a pasta bake, where the leftovers go in the fridge to be eaten the next night.

Our would buying like 6 packs of various Latina ravioli for 4 and sauces be considered meal prepping for the week?

• Like 1

Only my lunches during the work week, find if I don't then I tend to eat out less healthy foods.  Sunday afternoon / night is about roasting up sweet potatoes and ensuring I have the ingredients required to get me through the work week - too hard to get to a supermarket during the week.  Also ensure my breakfasts are covered at the same time with ingredients.

With longer commute time now, finding I need to have the breakfast smoothie ready to pop on the machine prepped the night before - gives me more time for exercise in the morning

No we are not in our house, however we do know what we are having for the week.  Food planning is a whole family thing for us including the two kids.  My wife generally preps each afternoon while the kids are having down time in the play room.  Lunches are easy and done the night before because we have what we had for dinner for lunch the next day.

The only things pre prepped in the kitchen are our home made kombucha drinks because they take 14 days to be ready to drink, and it lasts about 3 days before its all gone, the kids absolutely love it...i think i need to start a production line to keep up with demand in our house.

When I was at uni, a mate had this Italian guy living with him, whose mum would ship him his weeks meals each week that she cooked up for him. 

When I was at uni I did a slightly different meal prep, make a big dish of pasta and meat sauce, have my meal and fill the containers with leftovers for lunch then next day, dinner the next night, lunch the day after and dinner the night after

I usually have spag bol, chicken curry and risotto in meal sized portions in the freezer for the times I can't be arsed cooking. I should be more organized with lunches too, but the fridge at work freezes everything within a couple of hours so I usually find myself across the road at woolies getting something instead.

Our daughter (foodie extraordinaire along with her BF) taught me how to do chuck steak in the slow-cooker, so have started doing that now, gives me enough for 3-4 lunches.  Leftovers also feature strongly for lunch, sometimes dinner.

Tip - don't do chuck/blade steak on the Weber.....I learned this while batching recently :blush:

• Like 1

My new year's resolution is to have more snack meals prepped to take to work. I found towards the end of last year when training quite a lot and swimming before work I would end up eating my lunch at 1100 and was then starving by 1500 and ended up gorging on snickers etc.

So now if I head to the office I am taking a "second breakfast" of egg fried rice, or dahl or similar with me. So far on the days I have been to the office I have been 100% successful avoiding snacking. *

* I have been to the office once this year. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, goughy said:

I like the idea of it, and it would be a great thing for someone like me, cept I'm way too disorganised to do it. My idea of meal prepping is cooking sometime like spaghetti, chilli, or a pasta bake, where the leftovers go in the fridge to be eaten the next night.

Our would buying like 6 packs of various Latina ravioli for 4 and sauces be considered meal prepping for the week?

This is me. And as far as lunch goes, I just take a packet of bagels and some boxes of Campbells Super Greens soup to work and nuke them each day. That's lunch, plus any snacks that I find lying around. I have a food draw at work that I accumulate stuff in. I also have cottage cheese on corn thins, yoghurt and musli, quick stuff like that. 

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

The only things pre prepped in the kitchen are our home made kombucha drinks because they take 14 days to be ready to drink, and it lasts about 3 days before its all gone, the kids absolutely love it...i think i need to start a production line to keep up with demand in our house.

What's this? 

9 minutes ago, monkie said:

* I have been to the office once this year. 

Same here. I'm going to make the effort tomorrow as well, but that's only because I have a Plasma Appointment at 7:15. :)

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

What's this? 

Get on it, its superb!

We never thought we would like it, but its been awesome.  My wife likes Coke (drink) and in an effort to get her to reduce her intake of it we thought we would give Kombucha a go, it is also good for Gut health, something particularly relevant to my son with his Coeliac diagnosis, but equally important for all of us.

This brew in the pics is what we have at home right now, Raspberry and mint, strawberry and mint, and mango and ginger and the other pic is it brewing away at about day 3, at day 10 we bottle it and add in our flavor, leave it on the bench for a further 4 days and burp it once a day (open lid), then chuck in the fridge and drink.  I have a glass at night as its refreshing, the boy will try and drink it all if we dont hold him back and the daughter tried it last night and her eyes lit up and gave us 2 thumbs up, the wife loves it and hopefully reduces her coke intake.

to make the one that size, we just boiled the kettle and poured the water into a glass container, 1 cup of sugar, stir til dissolved, then add in 5 black tea bags, let it cool down to room temp, then pour into the big jug thing (see pic below), add in the scoby which is the bacterial thingy (its quite gross) and add the liquid it was sitting in, cover the top with the cloth and leave it at room temp for 10 days (can leave longer).  then we bottle it add in our fruits and mint, leave for a few days and then cool it down and drink it.

You can get a scoby off some one who already brews it as the scobys grow babies so we give the older one away and keep the new ones.  you know if a new scoby is growing as the top of the brew gets quite cloudy and bubbly, you can also cut the existing scoby and share to someone else, they get quite large

26170166_10155216293746769_1634424271087862108_o.jpg

25734112_10155193043346769_8458383842656776289_o.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

plus any snacks that I find lying around. 

Amazing what you can find in the schools communal staff fridge....  

Working from home can be a blessing and a curse on the did front.  So easy to graze when your feeling peckish...

2 hours ago, goughy said:

or "confiscate" from the kiddies.  "Johnny, you know mars bars are not permitted at this school, hand it over"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/01/2018 at 1:14 PM, goughy said:

Ooooo no. I share a fridge only with my teaching partner. 

I don't prep food or cook.  

There is a chance I will need to do a 10 week trip away for work this year. Instead of eating at the hotel every night. I'm going to book a self contained unit with a kitchen. Then I'll be using something like http://www.freshactive.com.au/pricing $233 a week delivered to the door. I get $100 a day meal allowance. It's quick easy & I can get it delivered to the apartment. 

Then I can spend the rest of my meal allowance on bike parts.  

• Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 8:57 AM, Bored@work said:

I don't prep food or cook.  

There is a chance I will need to do a 10 week trip away for work this year. Instead of eating at the hotel every night. I'm going to book a self contained unit with a kitchen. Then I'll be using something like http://www.freshactive.com.au/pricing $233 a week delivered to the door. I get $100 a day meal allowance. It's quick easy & I can get it delivered to the apartment. 

Then I can spend the rest of my meal allowance on bike parts.  

Who does it all for you? And how do you get away with not doing anything?!

11 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Welcome to the world of the 1960's Cranky. :)

ps: I hardly ever do either. Although do cook on a BBQ, and do the occasional B&E for breakfast. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'm a PIG of a human & make my wife do all the cooking. It's her job she is the female (is that the response you were looking for?)

I work full time & my wife works 9:30 till 2:30 most days. So after school pick ups she comes home & cooks dinner. I will do the dishes and clean up etc (or leave them to the next day)

I have started cooking the BBQ a bit more lately but my wife normally enjoys doing that. Her main gripe is having to decide what to cook each night for dinner.

We have a cleaner come in once a week & a gardener every week or two.  My wife works a half day every second Saturday & I do a scheduled week of on call every month. That pays a lot more than the gardener/cleaner costs us. 

We are making the most of our time with daughter why she still wants to hang out with us. For example I could have painted the house over the Christmas break but paid someone to do it. My wife was working so my daughter & I did mini trips everyday. Shopping, go-garts, coffee shops, dog walks, bike rides etc.

• Like 2

My mate gets home 90+mins before his wife so he's generally making dinner.

Me, the last time I wasn't the one to cook dinner or be the one to go collect it, was late 2014, when I had my wisdom teeth and the back half of the rest out. My wife cooked soup the first night, then made me jelly and cup a soups the next few.  Otherwise it's always me (and I'm a shit cook so our meals suck).

The only time I ever cook is on the Weber, I light the heat beads up at 3 pm each Sunday, pop the roast in 45 mins later and close the lid, take it out 2 hours later and pop on the bench. I also make my eggs every morning before work.  apart from that I am not welcome in the kitchen except for cleaning up, i do the dishwasher each night.  My wife likes her cooking and enjoys it,  She also doesn't believe that I'm capable of producing something decent in the kitchen.   I get in her way so to save her nagging me i just avoid the place, shes happy, Im happy, the food is fantastic.....everyone wins.

• Like 3

Yes, prefer to over cook every 3 to 4 meals, then it does lunches and dinner.  Tonight whipped up a nice saffron and mango chicken slow cooked in the clay targine.. Layered on sweet and normal potato and a tin of chick peas.  Six pieces three meals.  

Last night was turkey mince bolognese, same deal. Two dinners and two single service lunches.  

On 08/01/2018 at 1:12 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Welcome to the world of the 1960's Cranky. :)

ps: I hardly ever do either. Although do cook on a BBQ, and do the occasional B&E for breakfast. 

I want a wife!

On 08/01/2018 at 1:35 PM, Bored@work said:

I'm a PIG of a human & make my wife do all the cooking. It's her job she is the female (is that the response you were looking for?)

I work full time & my wife works 9:30 till 2:30 most days. So after school pick ups she comes home & cooks dinner. I will do the dishes and clean up etc (or leave them to the next day)

I have started cooking the BBQ a bit more lately but my wife normally enjoys doing that. Her main gripe is having to decide what to cook each night for dinner.

We have a cleaner come in once a week & a gardener every week or two.  My wife works a half day every second Saturday & I do a scheduled week of on call every month. That pays a lot more than the gardener/cleaner costs us. 

We are making the most of our time with daughter why she still wants to hang out with us. For example I could have painted the house over the Christmas break but paid someone to do it. My wife was working so my daughter & I did mini trips everyday. Shopping, go-garts, coffee shops, dog walks, bike rides etc.

Sounds like you've got it all sorted 

• Like 1