Jump to content
RunLong

Running iPods

Recommended Posts

How is using technology/gadgets being in your own little world.  These things actually are controlling you IMO

 

How many people here actually focus on what they are doing?.  Listening to their feet hit the ground, controlling their breathing.  Looking at reflections in shop windows etc, checking body alignment, even chat to another runner.  

I use to be the self absorbed knob that would ignore everyone around me.  Not worth as it me you are not really enjoying it.  I will now say gday to everyone, give some encouragement, be present.   This is no matter what intensity running at.  Maybe still that guy but speaks instead.  

It is amazing how a few at the gym have changed their ability and process since i told them to ditch the headphones and phones and make the most of their gym time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexholbrook said:

Ditto Goughy. The time I spend exercising is time I spend in my own little world. It let's me destress, refreshes me and gets me going for the day ahead. 

This is me, running is me time, but i do it without headphones etc. This is the only real time i am available from external inputs. I rarely carry my phone, even though i am on 24hr call.

Therefore like Alex and FB how each person gains time in their own world is different. It is funny as when i run sometimes i close of the outside world to much and am in more danger of an accident, than when i have external stimuli (music, podcasts, etc).

I have a commute which is where i listen to music and podcasts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

How is using technology/gadgets being in your own little world.  These things actually are controlling you IMO

 

How many people here actually focus on what they are doing?.  Listening to their feet hit the ground, controlling their breathing.  Looking at reflections in shop windows etc, checking body alignment, even chat to another runner.  

I use to be the self absorbed knob that would ignore everyone around me.  Not worth as it me you are not really enjoying it.  I will now say gday to everyone, give some encouragement, be present.   This is no matter what intensity running at.  Maybe still that guy but speaks instead.  

It is amazing how a few at the gym have changed their ability and process since i told them to ditch the headphones and phones and make the most of their gym time. 

For some, running is an escape from being "on".  It has little to do with improving and nothing to do with focus, in fact the opposite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2018 at 10:12 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

Genuine question.  Why do we need something to listen to when we are running or cycling on the road.  

 

Music is a great tool to improve leg speed - I have a huge playlist of 180bpm tracks that I use on the treadmill. The positive psychological effects of music for swimming and running are well researched. If you find training to music uplifting, far better to use it if it gets you out there.

I'm against using music during run races but if you have a favourite piece of music that you train to, you can still think of that track during the race to help manage cadence and control pain.

Safety issues when running and cycling on the roads are a different issue.

Edited by The Customer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

It is not you that it bothers.  It is the one's who have no awareness of their surroundings.   The ones you are running up behind saying I am about to pass yet they continue to drift all over the place.  The ones who carry a small laptop in their hands (apple phone $1500 device that you drop and it is ****ed) are even worse.  The walkers with their heads down, ears blocked staring at a screen oblivious to the approaching or the people behind them trying to navigate to their destination.  That is my beef and see it everyday.  

and old people walking dogs that have gone deaf.... you come up behind them, they jump three feet because you have scared the bejesus out of them, and there is zero you can do other than walk slower than them and their dog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Music is a great tool to improve leg speed - I have a huge playlist of 180bpm tracks that I use on the treadmill. The positive psychological effects of music for swimming and running are well researched. If you find training to music uplifting, far better to use it if it gets you out there.

I'm against using music during run races but if you have a favourite piece of music that you train to, you can still think of that track during the race to help manage cadence and control pain.

Safety issues when running and cycling on the roads are a different issue.

**** I have been doing it all wrong. 

The last sentence I agree with.  What is your stance on taking selfies while riding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a chill pill, FB. Accept that people have differing opinions/methods and are not trying to attack you - life will be less stressful if you understand this.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Customer said:

Take a chill pill, FB. Accept that people have differing opinions/methods and are not trying to attack you - life will be less stressful if you understand this.

I don't run with music but have done in the past in the gym.  The pavements in my town are very narrow, so avoiding others usually means stepping into the road, good to have your hearing wits about you.

Having said that, I agree with what TC has written above. Everyone is different and gets their motivation in a variety of ways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

**** I have been doing it all wrong. 

The last sentence I agree with.  What is your stance on taking selfies while riding?

11 hours ago, The Customer said:

Take a chill pill, FB. Accept that people have differing opinions/methods and are not trying to attack you - life will be less stressful if you understand this.

FB, As the Customer said, people aren't trying to attack you. You have a different opinion to others, and others will agree with you. Running with music is something that I enjoy. I run on trails in Wagga which most people don't use other than the people houses that back onto it, so I very rarely have to worry about being in someones way. Music makes me happy and it's an interest of mine. I can't play an instrument, but I'm always in awe of those that can play music instruments and play music .

I don't take selfies while riding, in fact, I hardly use instagram anymore and you probably use it more than I do. I find it actually quite annoying when people take their phones out and take a selfie while riding given that it's against the law for drivers to do this. Hey, we agreed on something. Isn't that great. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, alexholbrook said:

FB, As the Customer said, people aren't trying to attack you. You have a different opinion to others, and others will agree with you.  

But sadly every time a question re iPods etc comes up, this same crap comes up without failure. As soon as I read post 6 I knew this thread was going that way also. 

Edited by Slunnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slunnie said:

As soon as I read post 6 I knew this thread was going that way also. 

Just the title was enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2018 at 2:44 AM, Slunnie said:

But sadly every time a question re iPods etc comes up, this same crap comes up without failure. As soon as I read post 6 I knew this thread was going that way also. 

I knew it was always going to happen as some people just can't help themselves. 

 

In regards to ipods, Ivr been using an iPod shuffle for a the past few years. I love it but I know that they're discontinued so getting a replacement when I kill this one will be difficult. There is however a device called Bemighty. Give it a Google and the website should come up. Basically it's connected to your Spotify account and you download the playlists at home and can then listen to them without your phone needing to be in range. It also has an AUX port for normal headphones but also has Bluetooth capabilities. You do however have to have Spotify premium, so it does add up over time. However, Spotify is all I use these days so it'll most likely be my next purchase. 

 

Hope this helps with your initial question though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always ran with music, well for my long runs and over the years have had a ton of mp3 players as well as a few minidisk players. Few of them last more than a year as generally they are not fit for purpose i.e a bit of sweat and they pretty soon die. I actually had my gen 7 Ipod nano replaced 9 times (yes 9) because they kept on dying. I think a sweaty finger on the touch screen meant moisture would get in or through the lightening port. Apple were a PITA to deal with initially, but after the 4th or 5th replacement I became quite the expert on Australian Consumer Law! The last time it died they replaced it with the Ipod touch as they no longer made the nano, I gifted that to my daughter as it's too big to run with. Which meant I was on the search for a new mp3 player. There aren't that many around, I'm guessing because most people just use their phones? I went with a Sony NW-A35, awesome quality and sound, bit heavy, but unfortunately this went the same way as the nano, the screen went a bit crazy and then died. Sony replaced it, so I still have it, I need to find a way of waterproofing it. I've also bought a budget sandisk mp3 players, very basic, but it has bluetooth and more importantly is water resistant. Sound quality is average, but it does the job. I've also got an old Shuffle, those things are pretty much bullet proof. Just too basic for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely get to listen to music and absolutely love to listen to some classic EDM when running.  My iPod shuffle died a few months ago so I've been running without music for a few months.  Will have to transfer some music to my phone once I'm organised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

Damn was gonna buy a 935 today but might wait and see if the price comes down..

I like it! Are they for sale? I'd sell my F5 for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zed said:

I like it! Are they for sale? I'd sell my F5 for that!

Just saw estimated availability is 5-8 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Just saw estimated availability is 5-8 weeks.

Cool. 

Ah - so it has a 5 hour battery when music is played and 12 hours with GPS, so half what the Fenix 5 is. 

 

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't have an OWS or Tri mode either.... bummer

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×