With just over four weeks to HOTW - it's time to get on it 

This is the best race on the calendar to set you up for a good season - I've looked back over my most outstanding years in this sport and the years where I placed in my age group in Hawaii, the year started with a better than usual result in HOTW - I have done HOTW 24yrs in a row and some years I had better results than others

If you've been to HOTW and had a less than satisfying result, it was not Goondoowindi's fault, it was your fault, you either let yourself down mentally and let the conditions get to you, or you didn't prepare as well as you should have - the answer is to go back and face your fears - your strength as an endurance athlete is gained by beating your demons - the more demons you face and beat - the fewer demons are left out there to challenge you B)

There is no better race to prepare you for a good Ironman season - a good Ironman is 70% mental - mental strength is gained by facing the greatest challenges - face them early in the season and nothing will phase you as the season unfolds B)

The other thread on 2018 goals is full of excuses and soft targets - if you're serious about real goals for 2018 - get out to Gundi and start the season on the right foot B)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AP said:

This is the best race on the calendar to set you up for a good season - I've looked back over my most outstanding years in this sport and the years where I placed in my age group in Hawaii, the year started with a better than usual result in HOTW - I have done HOTW 24yrs in a row and some years I had better results than others

If you've been to HOTW and had a less than satisfying result, it was not Goondoowindi's fault, it was your fault, you either let yourself down mentally and let the conditions get to you, or you didn't prepare as well as you should have - the answer is to go back and face your fears - your strength as an endurance athlete is gained by beating your demons - the more demons you face and beat - the fewer demons are left out there to challenge you B)

There is no better race to prepare you for a good Ironman season - a good Ironman is 70% mental - mental strength is gained by facing the greatest challenges - face them early in the season and nothing will phase you as the season unfolds B)

The other thread on 2018 goals is full of excuses and soft targets - if you're serious about real goals for 2018 - get out to Gundi and start the season on the right foot B)

Thanks Al , and the hotw needs the support of all you trannies ( grass roots triathletes), our numbers are reducing under the pressure of destination races where you get a down stream swim or a large draft pack on hot mix .

We need your support, this is a race run by Goondiwindi tri club under nearly full volunteers steam . We get great local support, in a friendly town that are actually over the moon to have crazy triathletes visit our town . 

There are plenty of athletes on this site that have raced with us before and we appreciate your support , Al been doing it for quarter of a century . 

So please spread the word and come race the 27th edition of HELL OF THE WEST . You will be tested but you will always remember it , promise 

www.hellofthewest.com 

the open race is going to be cracker

Amberger , jake Montgomery , Callum Millard , Lindsay wall , Sam Betten , Dainel Stein , Ryan Waddington 

the womens race might be lobsided with Sarah Crowley going for title number 5, Boys will need to be on their game. 

Enter now 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AP said:

Why don't you put your goals on that thread tigerman?

• Haha 1

He always forgets to mention he is the only one in his age group when he does mention he has won his age group 73 years in a row. 

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You forgot to mention how many times you have won your age group. 

He always forgets to mention he is the only one in his age group 

Of the 2,000 readers of this forum there are two fleas - it would be nice if they backed their sledges up with an occasional race entry B) I would like to toe the line with them in friendly rivalry 

But that's right there is more to life than triathlon (this is unfortunately a triathlon chat forum)   

• Like 1

Best race you could do. 

Accommodation can be tight. Contact the organisers and they will help you out if you are thinking about this race.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AP said:

Of the 2,000 readers of this forum there are two fleas - it would be nice if they backed their sledges up with an occasional race entry B) I would like to toe the line with them in friendly rivalry 

But that's right there is more to life than triathlon (this is unfortunately a triathlon chat forum)   

The truth hurts you AP  

Im doing geelong 70.3 and then challenge melbourne in April. Happy to have a friendly race. 

Come on down. 

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

I’m racing a local crit in an hour.

What distance triathlon is a crit? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AP said:

If you've been to HOTW and had a less than satisfying result...

I was pretty happy with my results there, but yes I agree if you aren't prepared this race it could bite you!

It's a great race though and I echo the thoughts of the others that it's a race you've gotta do at least once.  Even if you're not fully prepared it's worth having a crack but just be sensible about it.  I guarantee you'll love the experience.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gundy said:

I'll buy the some beer for any visiting trannies 

I can back that up. About 4 years ago you shouted our crew many beers after the race which was greatly appreciated. We even swapped some shirts. 

I wont be there this year but definitely plan on being back for number 5. 

• Like 1

I’me in, 3 of us from Port coming over, were 8 of us but you know the rest lol........

trannie meet up??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willie said:

What distance triathlon is a crit? :P

There is no better way to get your leg speed up for a good Ironman season. That and park runs. 

Do they still do teams there? I might bring the family and do the swim/bike and the wifey do the run as i have knee issues and haven't run 20ks in 5 years.....

Yes teams available , just email admin@hellofthewest.com can help find people if need another team member for any legs . Also introducing Saturday events this year that includes 5-10km run and enticer and kids tri 

• Like 1

Have you entered geelong 70.3 yet AP or are you just all talk?  

You know,  you thru out the challenge. I accepted. Or are you just a keyboard captain? 

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

Have you entered geelong 70.3 yet AP or are you just all talk?  

You know,  you thru out the challenge. I accepted. Or are you just a keyboard captain? 

It's an awful long way to go for a half - why don't we meet half way at Port for the "mans race" the full Ironman - bring your mate who's building his leg speed in the crits and park runs :lol: see how it works out for him

Your challenge was for me to do a race. I've given you 2. 

Your retired. Give the mrs a holiday. Come on down. 

4 minutes ago, AP said:

It's an awful long way to go for a half - why don't we meet half way at Port for the "mans race" the full Ironman - bring your mate who's building his leg speed in the crits and park runs :lol: see how it works out for him

I'm retired, sold all my stuff. Your comments and nasty barbs have hurt my feelings. I'm off sooking with IVP. We both walked in a race & don't deserve to race against such a legend of the sport. 

#blessed #Kona

22 minutes ago, AP said:

From Brisbane it's probably just as quick to get to Geelong as it is to HOTW.  Just saying.  But yes, Port would be more interesting :D

Port is a 2 day drive for me. 4 hours for AP. 

But he thru the challenge to enter a race. Given 2. 

Knowing full well he never would. All talk. Typical keyboard warrior.