Flanman

2018 Goals-what are they ?

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

EC?

Nah.

I have to wait till the youngest finishes school. 

a/ No chance of affording it till then.

b/ Too big a disruption in his senior years.

I still have to talk to a couple of people regarding the logistics, and will discuss it after that.

FatPom.

I'd love to do something like that. My two loves, OWS & trail running, but unfortunately my running days are pretty much over. Otherwise this & Otillo would be my dream events.

Edit to add: With the timing of that event FP, It'd slot in perfectly with a channel swim. Now I'm really depressed.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Im thinking of doing Fitz Challenge, Canberra , October. Anyone done it? Any tips would be appreciated - thanks in advance

Did it years ago, circa 2003. Back then it was the longest ride (160km?)  I think there is a longer one called Fitz Epic or something.  They make a big deal about Fitz Hill but they don't mention the hundreds little killer bastard ones in between!

I also remember one aid station at the bottom of a big descent which you then have to turn around and climb back up, full of cake.

Starts cold but warms up very quickly.

On 09/08/2018 at 9:27 PM, FatPom said:

Did it years ago, circa 2003. Back then it was the longest ride (160km?)  I think there is a longer one called Fitz Epic or something.  They make a big deal about Fitz Hill but they don't mention the hundreds little killer bastard ones in between!

I also remember one aid station at the bottom of a big descent which you then have to turn around and climb back up, full of cake.

Starts cold but warms up very quickly.

http://www.fitzs.com.au/about-the-challenge/

Thanks FP, The Extreme is 255k & was the one I was thinking of. I know there are some nasty hills around that area but how bad or hard is Fitz Hill?  Graphs dont always tell the true story 

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

http://www.fitzs.com.au/about-the-challenge/

Thanks FP, The Extreme is 255k & was the one I was thinking of. I know there are some nasty hills around that area but how bad or hard is Fitz Hill?  Graphs dont always tell the true story 

It isnt that bad it just came later than I thought it would. Every big hill that arrived I was asking my mate if it was Fitz Hill, which it wasn’t. Then we came to it and he said ‘don’t look up’.

i remember it being hard to attack but ok if you settled in.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

It isnt that bad it just came later than I thought it would. Every big hill that arrived I was asking my mate if it was Fitz Hill, which it wasn’t. Then we came to it and he said ‘don’t look up’.

i remember it being hard to attack but ok if you settled in.

Thanks FP, shame youre not here, we could grovel up that hll together 😊

• Like 1

There’s nothing out there that is too bad. I used to train out that way a bit before the era of Garmin 😮 

its hard because there shitty annoying climbs everywhere along the way. Don’t bonk out here, it’s a long way home if you do (talking from experience...)

I did a ride with A few very handy guys out there. Tuggeranong - Tharwa - Corin - Tharwa - Fitz’s - Tharwa - Tuggera. Hardest day I’ve ever done in the saddle. Circa 205kms of pain. 35km limp home from Fitz’s. 

Achieving the budget goal is out the window. Not the same kind of pain as riding hills but will be worth it in the end. Scaffold down, tiling and interior Barestone panels underway.

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

South elevation with bwk.jpg

• Like 3