Flanman

2018 Goals-what are they ?

Hoping for sub 4.30 at Busso in 4 weeks. Realistically low 4.30s, sub 4.30 is theoretically possible, but need all the stars to align i.e no heat, no wind and a properly measured swim course! I think last year it was 2.1km. Would love to podium, but some seriously quick guys in my AG that will be doing low 4.20s which is out of reach. 

should swim 27/28

ride should be 2.23/24

run should be 1.33 - 1.34

T1/T2 3/4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zed said:

Hoping for sub 4.30 at Busso in 4 weeks. Realistically low 4.30s, sub 4.30 is theoretically possible, but need all the stars to align i.e no heat, no wind and a properly measured swim course! I think last year it was 2.1km. Would love to podium, but some seriously quick guys in my AG that will be doing low 4.20s which is out of reach. 

should swim 27/28

ride should be 2.23/24

run should be 1.33 - 1.34

T1/T2 3/4

Hope it goes well mate - that would be a very impressive result, particularly the run.

I’ve got Port Mac 70.3 in a few weeks - ideally I’d like to better the Sunny Coast time (4:46), but I think the bike will be tougher on this one. If I can just improve the run to be better than 1:42 I’ll be happy.

46 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Hope it goes well mate - that would be a very impressive result, particularly the run.

I’ve got Port Mac 70.3 in a few weeks - ideally I’d like to better the Sunny Coast time (4:46), but I think the bike will be tougher on this one. If I can just improve the run to be better than 1:42 I’ll be happy.

Thanks :) So many things can go wrong on the day though...  I'd be stoked to go sub 4.30, but what you want and what you get can be very different things!

56 minutes ago, wombattri said:

I will be up there in Port. I won't be going as fast as you so no ars* slap as you ride by (hopefully I can get out before you in the swim). :D

Although it is a few weeks out, I expect we will be meeting for a Trannie swim on Friday morning (8am or 9am). We'll see.

FM

Would love to but won’t get into Port until about 2pm on Friday. 

Up for a Saturday swim if it’s on. 

On 12/30/2017 at 12:51 PM, Turtle said:

Sport:

Feb: Busselton 1/2 marathon and Jetty Swim day after. Registered. - Tick

March: Rottnest SwimRun (although Partner has pulled out...) - Tick (was amazing, highly recommended)

March: Port-2-Pub Duo - Tick (although race was abandoned 1/2 way across)

November: Considering Osaka Marathon (finances/leave dependent) - Still thinking about this.  

Non Sport:

...Let's try these again!

Don't get uptight when things don't go to plan, or people do stupid things. "Let it Go"! - need to try harder.

Not to swear (will give $ to charity when I do) - failing. need to try harder.

Not drinking during the week - fail.

Accept my singledom and be happy with who I am. - Tick.

Interesting to read these now it's April.  I seem to do better at achieving sporting goals but not personal goals.  oh well, tomorrow's a new day and a new opportunity to try again.

How's everyone else going?

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 7:27 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Personal/Work/Home

- Drink less (while it hasn't become a problem, I think I'm drinking too much)

- Do more with my son (this year has been good, next year will be better)

- Now that the kids are older, do more things with just my wife

- Keep things interesting at work. Develop the new staff.

- Build the Rainforest Grotto, and get the Heliconia gardens in. Reduce the lawn to less than 1/2 acre

Training

- Swim 750km this year

- Sub 14min for 1km (suck them apples Andrew :))

- 100 x 100 on 100

- 20km swim

- Run

- Ride

Personal Goals:

Not going too well on the first one. Lots of stress and other shit happening which isn't helping.

Going OK on the 2nd. He's off to get his learners tomorrow, so I'll be doing some time out in the car with him soon. Whilst that will help this point, it'll probably hurt the first.

3 & 4 are staying constant, so need to put some effort in there.

I've been potting up a lot of plants for the rainforest extension, and plotting it all out. Construction starts in Winter when the grass stops growing & I can do something on the weekend other than mow. I've put 2 more gardens in last month, and planned out the next 5. I've started selling flowers at a local Farmers Market, and will be trying my first real market this weekend. Looking for a big Summer later this year.

Training:

I'm a bit behind plan, having lost my mojo recently, but am still confident of making it.

Sub 14 will be hard unless I start doing some squad. OW swimming just isn't giving me the speed I'll need.

100x100x100 - Goal 3 is planned for the end of the year. 

20km swim - I've done a few long swims, but planning to build up to this one after Winter

With the bone on bone action in my left knee, the last 2 have taken a back seat and may never happen again. :(

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Go Easy said:

Be as good a father, friend and person as I can be.  I'm far from perfect but where possible I will aim to make this world a better place for all the other creatures we share it with (sounds like a Miss Universe statement :lol:).

Training Goals are the same as last year (since I didn't achieve any of them in 2017)...

1). Aim to run 100 Half Marathon distance runs in one year.

2). Aim to average a Lap of Lake Albert (5.5km) run for every day of the year.

3). Aim to average an Ironman Distance (3.8/180/42) each week in training.

Personally I think I've got Buckley's chance of achieving any of them but sometimes you've just got to 'bite off more than you can chew, and chew like buggary'!

Hmmm.  Started ok for the first 8 weeks, even though I didn't do much riding I was pretty much on target with the rest.  Since then the wheels have well and truly fallen off.  After having a series of minor niggling injuries I'm now sitting here with stitches in my back where yet another skin cancer was removed, and I'm expecting to get some more off in about 5 weeks time..  I'll be back, but for now I'm looking after the body and allowing myself time to recover.

Cover up guys, it's great that we get to enjoy the sport and our magnificent Australian sun, but be sensible and be safe!

• Like 3

On 06/01/2018 at 1:18 PM, FatPom said:

Not sure I've figured out my goals, my new job is still bedding in and so life is in a state of flux right now. Races on the calendar are:

Gower Duathlon 5/31/5 - late March.

20km Winchester Trail Run - late April, doing that with my running partner, so no time goal really.

Tour of Wessex 3 day sportive, possibly - late May.

Tenby LCW - mid July

IM Wales - this will be a long shot and I will see how I feel after LCW. Not entered but booked some accom just in case.

The bits in between will be peppered with some TTs, representing my CC. ( if I'm fast enough for an invite)

Also, re the watches, pace etc. I know I live in a cave but honestly, I only ever look at my watch at the end of the swim and half way through the run.

Generally, I just ride or run my bollocks off until someone tells me to stop. :lol:

Interesting reading for me.

The Gower Duathlon didn't happen as I got quite sick ( lost the entry and hotel fee :( )

I did the Winchester 10km road run in 42.33 which given the long drag hills, I was happy with. Came 93/1355.

The 20km Trail Run is on Saturday. Kind of prepared by my training partner has pulled out. Gonna be muddy and hilly. Gawd knows what time I'll do!

Tour of Wessex might happen, need some logistic gymnastics with work/home.

The rest is on track.

My best and most surprising result this year was the Eton Dorney Duathlon in Feb. Race was 5/20/5 and I came 6/106 overall and 2/34 in AG. (they only had 'Under40/ Over 40). Best thing was that I think I had the fastest bike split overall with 28.55 (course measured 18.6kms according to my watch).

Ah yes, the watch!  Got a shiny new Forerunner 935.  Love it but don't live by it.

• Like 1

My unstated plan was to do most of the races in the local sprint series (400/20/4) in 17/18.  Didn't get one done.  Though swimming & cycling are on the up, running still seems to be a problem.  Will try running again shortly with the walk/run method.  I'll aim for the 18/19 season now.....though TBH, just happy I can ride up to 40kms again and the constant pain is gone.

On 29/12/2017 at 2:50 PM, RunBrettRun said:

Tri goal - find the consistency again.

Life goals - maintain a healthy balance with life and tri and help around the house more.

Not sure i have found the consistency i was after yet.  But ive had a plan and that involved getting a whole lot more serious after the trip we leave for today.

Im still not helping enough aound the house...

• Like 1

On 30/12/2017 at 5:57 PM, FFF1077 said:

Missed on some of the 2017 goals.... 

2018 as follows 

Continue to be a ****ing great Dad and eliminate "phone in hand" while I have my daughter around, unless for photos. 

Train 300 days of the year. Up from 287 this year. 

Be happy with the process I go through at Busso in May. And ****ing empty myself in the last 10km of the run. 

Reassess where I am going in life. And how to best set myself up for the next stage in my life. 

Buy a boogie board and get out in the waves. 

Be better at my job. Hard to do in such a variable environment but it is possible. 

Failed on the Busso and training goals. Busso was complicated. Training is due to injury. 

More importantly I am hardly touching my phone when I am with my daughter unless I am spamming family and social media with pictures :D

Doing well at work. Building quality customer relationships with the people who live on my round. Getting jars of home made jam and pot plants and lots of good chats. Also feed a family of Maggies each day which is good for the soul. 

Boogie Board still has to be gotten 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Also feed a family of Maggies each day which is good for the soul. 

If that doesn’t work for you come swooping season I don’t what will...!

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2017 at 1:24 PM, MissJess said:

Port 70.3 and find someone I can share my life with.

Well Port 70.3 is not here just yet, but I have entered and I am training.

The someone is not going well, I have deleted one dating app, well on my way to deleting another two and I reckon the Speed Dating thing in Penrith is not a goer, I have not seen an invite yet, which means they probably did not want me or they could not rustle up ten guys in the area who want a relationship. Frustrating. 

6 hours ago, MissJess said:

Well Port 70.3 is not here just yet, but I have entered and I am training.

The someone is not going well, I have deleted one dating app, well on my way to deleting another two and I reckon the Speed Dating thing in Penrith is not a goer, I have not seen an invite yet, which means they probably did not want me or they could not rustle up ten guys in the area who want a relationship. Frustrating. 

Don't push it. 

The right bloke will appear at the right time. 

Take care of yourself 

• Like 2

I'm setting new goals at the moment. 

Looks like I'll hit my other goals this year, depending on a couple of things that are out of my control. 

I want to beat my PB up Norton Summit. My fastest time was set 4 years ago, with a screaming tail wind, being paced by a mate and at the end of a solid Ironman man prep. 

Went up a a couple of weeks ago & missed a pb by 7 seconds. Slight head wind, tired legs, and no Ironman training. Racing crits & road races has improved my bike strength. 

On 10/01/2018 at 8:37 PM, softy said:

Finish our new home on budget. 

Stay healthy and injury free.

Stayed healthy and injury free so far, but failing on finishing our home on budget.  Ahhh well...you only live once.

kg house north elevn 2.jpg

kg house north elevn.jpg

• Like 4

14/6/2018 - close enough to the half way mark of 2018.

How is everyone going with their 2018 Goals.

Tipping FFF1077 might have a new one on his list.

Was my goal to be retired from triathlon?? 

If so I'm well in front!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The family stuff is work in progress. I'm doing more with them, and working less hours, but still want to do more.

Training-wise, I'm on my way to the 750km goal for the year. I've averaged 1.95km/day up till now, and have to do 2.1km/day for the rest of the year. It's close, but I think I should be right.

Sub 14 for 1km will be hard. I've got down close to 14:30, but with little pool swimming, I'm not doing the speed work I used to. A big plus would be maintaining swimming over Winter, which would give me a headstart on every other year lately come Spring.

I managed 50 x 100 x 100 last week. As above, if I don't break over Winter it should be doable.

I don't think I could do 20km yet, but I was comfortable doing 10 recently, so just need the opportunity to give it a go.

I ran 100m to catch the bus after swimming this morning. It hurt. :(

I rode to the village (6km) a couple weeks ago. It hurt. :(

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

14/6/2018 - close enough to the half way mark of 2018.

How is everyone going with their 2018 Goals.

Tipping FFF1077 might have a new one on his list.

No boogie board YET.... 

Less phone time is going well. 

New goal - smile for my daughter when I go past in Busso. Mainly to repay her love. 

• Like 2

I've only knocked one off the list since last time and that was the 20km trail race. Turned out to be 20.5km in pretty hilly/muddy fields and forest. I went 1:52 and came 11/93 overall.

TTs are going ok.

Tour of Wessex didn't happen, just washy logistically possible.

Next is Marlow HIM in 11 days time.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Next is Marlow HIM in 11 days time.

that's the one at henley with a shitty river swim isnt it? 

11 minutes ago, willie said:

that's the one at henley with a shitty river swim isnt it? 

No. The hint is in the name 'Marlow' :lol:

You're thinking of the defunct Challenge Henley ( the swim is in the same shitty river though. just up the road 10miles)

Late to the party, but run a half marathon after 5 years off running

400k in the pool.

400 TT in sub 5.45.

• Like 1