Flanman

2018 Goals-what are they ?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even where a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

Yep.

• Like 1

I remember when I first started tri.  I had a towel socks nutrition hat sunnies watch etc all piled up in transition.  This kid rocked up beside me and put his bike on the rack.  Helmet on top and shoes beside the bike.  I looked at his and looked at mine and thought something is wrong here...

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even wear a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

Pretty sure Kienle won Kona with no watch, PM etc.  He raced by feel.  

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even wear a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

I always race to feel, crit, TT,  iM, whatever. The watch I use is just a digital watch, nothing else. Crit races you don't get chance to drink half the time, let alone look at a watch and in road racing they serve no function.

Having a watch on and racing to feel are not mutually exclusive.  Me knowing my time at two points on a tri adds little value other than curiosity.

9 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

There's a shitload of pros that have overcooked races and that's with PM, HRM & GPS, I'd imagine there's very few pros that can pull off a successful race purely based on feel. 

45 minutes ago, zed said:

There's a shitload of pros that have overcooked races and that's with PM, HRM & GPS, I'd imagine there's very few pros that can pull off a successful race purely based on feel. 

Dave Scott

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Dave Scott

did they even have garmins or PMs back then?

In Rocky IV, the guy who won was training low tech (eg chopping wood in Siberia) in the montage (vs training in a leading soviet facility) leading up to the showdown between Rocky and Drago...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, trilobite said:

In Rocky IV, the guy who won was training low tech (eg chopping wood in Siberia) in the montage (vs training in a leading soviet facility) leading up to the showdown between Rocky and Drago...

That's a good point. :)

Edited by zed

8 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Mark Allen would get his mile splits using his watch and the 26 mile markers, pretty much the same as a a GPS watch with 1 mile alerts.

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Dave Scott

True. I guess he was pretty old school, Mark Allen was on aero wheels, aero bars etc while he was on a roadie with gears on the down tube! 

He did run the first 16km of Kona 89 at 3.37 min/km pace - would he have gone that quick with a watch?

Sport Goals

- two 24 hr solo events, with hopefully a good crack at Nationals in september

- keep training and finding new places, adventures, tapping away at limits

Personal

- complete overhaul to ensure life is heading in the right direction

• Like 3

On 08/01/2018 at 6:58 AM, zed said:

Mark Allen would get his mile splits using his watch and the 26 mile markers, pretty much the same as a a GPS watch with 1 mile alerts.

Yeah but mafffssss and shit.... LOL 

On 08/01/2018 at 7:11 AM, Shrek said:

Sport Goals

- two 24 hr solo events, with hopefully a good crack at Nationals in september

- keep training and finding new places, adventures, tapping away at limits

Personal

- complete overhaul to ensure life is heading in the right direction

Love the personal stuff mate. Great honesty with yourself there B)

Finish our new home on budget. 

Stay healthy and injury free.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 9:30 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

Considering i dont think she actually does any training by feel i will stand by my advice.  

Speed work shouldnt be governed by a watch it should be governed by intent while maintaining body position

Ran my Robina race without looking at my watch. No real time difference but I did feel mentally better. I didn' have a chance to beat myself up because I was under pace.

On 07/01/2018 at 11:14 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

On 08/01/2018 at 8:48 AM, Cat Lady said:

No nutrition in a bottle either, according to my hubby who continues to put shit on me every time I place my Infinite order. 

12 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Ran my Robina race without looking at my watch. No real time difference but I did feel mentally better. I didn' have a chance to beat myself up because I was under pace.

Welcome to my world B)   (I still beat myself up though :lol:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

No nutrition in a bottle either, according to my hubby who continues to put shit on me every time I place my Infinite order. 

Don't listen to Daz, listen to Jase :D

• Like 1