Flanman

2018 Goals-what are they ?

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even where a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

Yep.

• Like 1

I remember when I first started tri.  I had a towel socks nutrition hat sunnies watch etc all piled up in transition.  This kid rocked up beside me and put his bike on the rack.  Helmet on top and shoes beside the bike.  I looked at his and looked at mine and thought something is wrong here...

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even wear a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

Pretty sure Kienle won Kona with no watch, PM etc.  He raced by feel.  

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even wear a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

I always race to feel, crit, TT,  iM, whatever. The watch I use is just a digital watch, nothing else. Crit races you don't get chance to drink half the time, let alone look at a watch and in road racing they serve no function.

Having a watch on and racing to feel are not mutually exclusive.  Me knowing my time at two points on a tri adds little value other than curiosity.

9 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

There's a shitload of pros that have overcooked races and that's with PM, HRM & GPS, I'd imagine there's very few pros that can pull off a successful race purely based on feel. 

45 minutes ago, zed said:

There's a shitload of pros that have overcooked races and that's with PM, HRM & GPS, I'd imagine there's very few pros that can pull off a successful race purely based on feel. 

Dave Scott

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Dave Scott

did they even have garmins or PMs back then?

In Rocky IV, the guy who won was training low tech (eg chopping wood in Siberia) in the montage (vs training in a leading soviet facility) leading up to the showdown between Rocky and Drago...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, trilobite said:

In Rocky IV, the guy who won was training low tech (eg chopping wood in Siberia) in the montage (vs training in a leading soviet facility) leading up to the showdown between Rocky and Drago...

That's a good point. :)

Edited by zed

8 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Mark Allen would get his mile splits using his watch and the 26 mile markers, pretty much the same as a a GPS watch with 1 mile alerts.

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Dave Scott

True. I guess he was pretty old school, Mark Allen was on aero wheels, aero bars etc while he was on a roadie with gears on the down tube! 

He did run the first 16km of Kona 89 at 3.37 min/km pace - would he have gone that quick with a watch?

Sport Goals

- two 24 hr solo events, with hopefully a good crack at Nationals in september

- keep training and finding new places, adventures, tapping away at limits

Personal

- complete overhaul to ensure life is heading in the right direction

• Like 3

On 08/01/2018 at 6:58 AM, zed said:

Mark Allen would get his mile splits using his watch and the 26 mile markers, pretty much the same as a a GPS watch with 1 mile alerts.

Yeah but mafffssss and shit.... LOL 

On 08/01/2018 at 7:11 AM, Shrek said:

Sport Goals

- two 24 hr solo events, with hopefully a good crack at Nationals in september

- keep training and finding new places, adventures, tapping away at limits

Personal

- complete overhaul to ensure life is heading in the right direction

Love the personal stuff mate. Great honesty with yourself there B)

Finish our new home on budget. 

Stay healthy and injury free.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2018 at 9:30 PM, Fitness Buddy said:

Considering i dont think she actually does any training by feel i will stand by my advice.  

Speed work shouldnt be governed by a watch it should be governed by intent while maintaining body position

Ran my Robina race without looking at my watch. No real time difference but I did feel mentally better. I didn' have a chance to beat myself up because I was under pace.

On 07/01/2018 at 11:14 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

On 08/01/2018 at 8:48 AM, Cat Lady said:

No nutrition in a bottle either, according to my hubby who continues to put shit on me every time I place my Infinite order. 

12 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Ran my Robina race without looking at my watch. No real time difference but I did feel mentally better. I didn' have a chance to beat myself up because I was under pace.

Welcome to my world B)   (I still beat myself up though :lol:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

No nutrition in a bottle either, according to my hubby who continues to put shit on me every time I place my Infinite order. 

Don't listen to Daz, listen to Jase :D

• Like 1

On 30/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, Bored@work said:

My goals. 

Continue to travel.

Buy a new house. 

Wash my cars more. I know it's a stupid goal but when I was training for IM my cars were always filthy. I'm enjoying waking up on a weekend, drinking coffee and washing the cars while listening to music. I'm enjoying driving a clean car. The smell of dirty training gear is almost gone.

Boom!!!!! after 5 years of looking for a house that my wife & I could both agree on!!!  We have finally found a place we both like. 2.2km from my work & 9km closer to the city and airport. With a great bakery & coffee shop in walking distance. 

Our house sold first open, dead smack in the middle of our asking range. Negotiated hard but fair over the price of the new house. Lost it to a lower price that wasn't subject to sale, only subject to finance. Then the other buyers couldn't get finance. Vendor than agreed to take our price subject to sale. I said the offer was no longer on the table, it's now $7k less (the cost of a new Canyon) with subject to sale of our place and a longer settlement. After 3 days they accepted our offer. (wife almost killed me thinking we had missed out on the house over $7k)  

I have also been washing the cars a lot more.  We were going to Europe in April but that's on hold now because of having to move into the new house. Another trip to the USA & Canada in September. 

Cars are still nice & clean.

So it's not even the end of Feb & it looks like my 2018 goals are all done & dusted!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Boom!!!!! after 5 years of looking for a house that my wife & I could both agree on!!!  We have finally found a place we both like. 2.2km from my work & 9km closer to the city and airport. With a great bakery & coffee shop in walking distance. 

Our house sold first open, dead smack in the middle of our asking range. Negotiated hard but fair over the price of the new house. Lost it to a lower price that wasn't subject to sale, only subject to finance. Then the other buyers couldn't get finance. Vendor than agreed to take our price subject to sale. I said the offer was no longer on the table, it's now $7k less (the cost of a new Canyon) with subject to sale of our place and a longer settlement. After 3 days they accepted our offer. (wife almost killed me thinking we had missed out on the house over $7k)  

I have also been washing the cars a lot more.  We were going to Europe in April but that's on hold now because of having to move into the new house. Another trip to the USA & Canada in September. 

Cars are still nice & clean.

So it's not even the end of Feb & it looks like my 2018 goals are all done & dusted!!!

Nice - buying/selling and moving house can be so stressful, plus all the cr@p that accumulates over the years!

So the new Canyon arrives when?

On 23/01/2018 at 9:52 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

1 quiet goal ticked off this morning

What was that?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Personal goals:

Weight down to 80kg and maintain it to the end of the year - booked in for the 3 month detox that did it last time later this month (might be worth a thread on the experience of this one)

10 more subjects done at uni and pull my GPA back over the 3.0 mark.  If I achieve this will be on track for graduation in early 2020 (and straight into MBA)

Get 40 fruit bearing trees in at home and be producing at least 30% of the families food at home

2 more steps towards these goals this morning

Firstly, weight loss is one third of the way there, doing okay but need to improve it.  3 month detox was deemed too much by the nutrionist so only did 4 week one with results not as good as expected

Uni - just smashed the first 2 subjects for the year and GPA is above the 3.0 mark - now setting the goal to make Deans list by end of the year

5 trees in so far, just placed an order for another 8 Hazelnut trees which will go in this weekend.  First raised garden bed of 6 square metres is going in as well, another 4 the same size to follow over winter

• Like 3