Flanman

2018 Goals-what are they ?

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If you are going to do 45min for 10km off the bike, you should be aiming for close to 20min for a parkrun.

6 hours ago, BogFrog said:

^^^What they said.  Our times are very similar Cranky - a 20min flat parkrun is a 45min 10K triathlon run

And you can still get faster - I've got a few years on you and I'm still getting faster...

OK.  Well I can't see me running a 4 min km! :( I'm sure I couldn't do that in 2005. Oh well.  Let's just see what happens. 

Help others get better.  Rehabilitate from Surgery or Injury.  Get people moving better.  Learn and educate, share knowledge.  

Personally all of the above.  If someone is getting better at a skill, movement, or stronger and fitter then the day before then that makes me happy.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If you are going to do 45min for 10km off the bike, you should be aiming for close to 20min for a parkrun.

8 hours ago, goughy said:

That's what I would have thought!

8 hours ago, BogFrog said:

^^^What they said.  Our times are very similar Cranky - a 20min flat parkrun is a 45min 10K triathlon run

I'll go against the flow (Pisceans are sometimes like that) and say that if she can do a 21:40 Parkrun, it's very possible that she could run a 45 minute 10k in an Olympic Triathlon.

There are plenty of well trained triathletes who are able to run close to their stand alone run times, especially so if they don't have a particularly fast top end speed in the first place.  When I was fit, my flat out 1km Run Time Trial pace was about 3:45 minutes, but I could maintain a similar pace for the 14km City to Surf or the run leg of a Sprint or Olympic Distance Triathlon.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time that the Crankster has proven people on this forum to be wrong!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AA7 said:

And maybe you should be reconsidering 1hr45min long slow runs if you're trying to get faster for OD.

Personally I think long runs like that are great.  It' all about building the aerobic capacity.  2hr+ is still a very aerobic event for the majority of people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Personally I think long runs like that are great.  It' all about building the aerobic capacity.  2hr+ is still a very aerobic event for the majority of people.

They have their place. I'm just not sure a few weeks out from an OD race where someone is trying to improve their run time is the right place. 

On 03/01/2018 at 2:48 PM, Tryline said:

And It's just farkin to expensive.

This.... So this it's not funny anymore. 

9 hours ago, AA7 said:

They have their place. I'm just not sure a few weeks out from an OD race where someone is trying to improve their run time is the right place. 

Depends how you train I guess, obviously it isn't how you like to train but for a lot that's perfect timing.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, January 03, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Tryline said:

This is it.

To time consuming with a young family, its almost selfish!

And I feel like the sport is turning towards who has the latest bike, the most expensive equipment, the most followers/likes. Not healthy for future generations in the sport! 

And It's just farkin to expensive.

It has become a equipment centric sport like golf.  

And farkin expensive hence i love the training but forking a small fortune on a race to get a finishers medal.  

I understand there is a journey towards a race achievement.  But for me the journey is enough.  Is it a race though? Overcrowded fields tend to impact on actually going hard.  

On Wednesday, January 03, 2018 at 9:13 PM, Cranky said:

OK.  Well I can't see me running a 4 min km! :( I'm sure I couldn't do that in 2005. Oh well.  Let's just see what happens. 

Love to see what you could without a watch on your wrist telling you what pace you are running.  Considering your times have not improved that much on the run the garmin maybe your limitation.  How about do park run without a watch and just go for it.  Uninhibited

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Love to see what you could without a watch on your wrist telling you what pace you are running.  Considering your times have not improved that much on the run the garmin maybe your limitation.  How about do park run without a watch and just go for it.  Uninhibited

Cranky won't excel at that till she's used to running fast. No offence to Cranky, but if she hasn't run 4min km's, then she doesn't know how to go at that pace in a parkrun. 

I think she'd be better off using the watch/garmin, and setting out at 3:58 pace and seeing if she can bring that home. If not, she can always slow down 10 seconds in the last km and still make it. :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

It has become a equipment centric sport like golf.  

Not sure who you're playing golf with but everyone I play with don't really have the latest or greatest. Only reason I got new clubs was a break in. They gave me a voucher for replacement set. 

Triathlons the same. You can do it on the cheap and enjoy it. Just focus on what you want from the sport and not worry about everyone else.

Each to their own and all that. 

29 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cranky won't excel at that till she's used to running fast. No offence to Cranky, but if she hasn't run 4min km's, then she doesn't know how to go at that pace in a parkrun. 

I think she'd be better off using the watch/garmin, and setting out at 3:58 pace and seeing if she can bring that home. If not, she can always slow down 10 seconds in the last km and still make it. :) 

Considering i dont think she actually does any training by feel i will stand by my advice.  

Speed work shouldnt be governed by a watch it should be governed by intent while maintaining body position

• Like 1

2 hours ago, willie said:

Triathlons the same. You can do it on the cheap and enjoy it. Just focus on what you want from the sport and not worry about everyone else.

Yep, spot on.  For many years I rode a $300 bike, paddled a $300 Kayak (still do) and compete in 10 plus hour events that only cost $180 to enter...  It doesn't need to be an overly expensive sport, and I can't imagine too many people would enjoy it as much as I do.

9 hours ago, willie said:

Not sure who you're playing golf with but everyone I play with don't really have the latest or greatest. Only reason I got new clubs was a break in. They gave me a voucher for replacement set. 

Each to their own and all that. 

I had a golf forum (which I gave to a mate) where about the most active section is the trade section - the stuff people go through is insane!  But as owners, me and the other guy pretty much just hang on to what we have.  Nearly, if not every club in my bag is over a decade old and still great clubs, and his is not much different (at least he got to mid single figures unlike me).  But triathletes have nothing on some of those guys, in the equip stakes!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Fastest I've run was just trying to stay within a few metres of a really good athlete at a club run. I knew that I was waaayyyy above what I had ever done by the feeling, and I didn't look at the garmin once, not until the last km when I couldn't go with his final acceleration and I saw we were already doing 4min kms...... LOL and I am 84kg and solid.... Not a slight runner type at all.... LOL 

Totally just stayed in the moment and ran like ****. One of the most fun things I have ever done. 

Edited by FFF1077
Left out details
  • Like 2

I sometimes train sans Garmin, but reckon I’d not race as well without one. Number of times I’ve run way too quick off the bike, saved by my Garmin, plus times I’ve been running slower than I thought. I seem to know roughly what pace I’m going in training, but races are very different.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

It would be interesting! !

21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hmmmm. That would also be interesting

11 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Fastest I've run was just trying to stay within a few metres of a really good athlete at a club run. I knew that I was waaayyyy above what I had ever done by the feeling, and I didn't look at the garmin once, not until the last km when I couldn't go with his final acceleration and I saw we were already doing 4min kms...... LOL and I am 84kg and solid.... Not a slight runner type at all.... LOL 

Totally just stayed in the moment and ran like ****. One of the most fun things I have ever done. 

Good idea. I might try and hold onto someone tomorrow (not literally)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Any sub-4 min km advice I might offer is likely unreliable, as I haven’t qualified for Kona...

3 knee surgeries later, I’d like to get back to that pace this year.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Good idea. I might try and hold onto someone tomorrow (not literally)

And seriously find a person who is WAAAYYYY above your ability and bury yourself. Hope it goes well 😎🤘YEOW 

• Like 1

Running.....Some carry over from 2017.

1) 5km in 19.59.  Started 2017 at 22.07 and ended the year, well October, at 20.51

2) 1500m in under PB time.....did one race in 2017 in 5.48 and loved it. 

3) Smash a 1km pb, currently 3.53

3) 10km in under 45....got to 45.41 in 2017

Work....

1) Keep making a difference in little people’s lives by getting schools and early years services to work better together.

2) Finish my essay and hopefully achieve a distinction......and not lose it again.  Consider using this credit to enrol in my Masters.

Other...

1) Keep growing veggies

2) Remember to use a keep coffee cup, if needing take away, otherwise dine in.

3) Finish my craft project I started in 2017.  And with Cat Lady, get back to my knitting. 

4) Connect with some long lost friends.....well...make proper contact not FB contact. 

That will do. 

Edited by skel
  • Like 6

On 03/01/2018 at 11:02 AM, Turts said:

And more to triathlon than Ironman

I so agree. But it seems coaches out there don’t agree. 

17 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

And seriously find a person who is WAAAYYYY above your ability and bury yourself. Hope it goes well 😎🤘YEOW 

Thanks FFF. Stayed steady at the start then continued to pass people which was nice.  Feeling smashed now so I must have done a little digging! 3rd female but I don't think that means much. It's just whoever turns up on the day. 5 sec slower than my PB.

17 hours ago, skel said:

Running.....Some carry over from 2017.

1) 5km in 19.59.  

Holey cow. Go you! 

• Like 3

Not sure I've figured out my goals, my new job is still bedding in and so life is in a state of flux right now. Races on the calendar are:

Gower Duathlon 5/31/5 - late March.

20km Winchester Trail Run - late April, doing that with my running partner, so no time goal really.

Tour of Wessex 3 day sportive, possibly - late May.

Tenby LCW - mid July

IM Wales - this will be a long shot and I will see how I feel after LCW. Not entered but booked some accom just in case.

The bits in between will be peppered with some TTs, representing my CC. ( if I'm fast enough for an invite)

Also, re the watches, pace etc. I know I live in a cave but honestly, I only ever look at my watch at the end of the swim and half way through the run.

Generally, I just ride or run my bollocks off until someone tells me to stop. :lol:

Edited by FatPom

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Also, re the watches, pace etc. I know I live in a cave but honestly, I only ever look at my watch at the end of the swim and half way through the run.

Generally, I just ride or run my bollocks off until someone tells me to stop.

When I was actually racing OD & shorter stuff, I wouldn't even wear a watch during the race. You raced to feel, and seriously, if you couldn't stay with the guys you were trying to beat, then a watch certainly wasn't going to help.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1