Flanman

2018 Goals-what are they ?

Say goodbye to that 2017 thread and hello to 2018. 

So time to lay it down. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

Top 5 at Geelong 70.3, IM NZ and IM Port Mac and a podium at Challenge Melbourne. May as well aim big. If somehow I do better than that the Kona qualification question might be on the cards, if not I'll look to capitalise on the new Kona qualification for 2019 and hit a late season race close to Kona this year.

Also, likely to start working a few days a week to get my other, better paying, career moving along so just keen to try and strike the right balance between triathlon, work and last year of uni.

Edited by lachie94
  • Like 5

Be as good a father, friend and person as I can be.  I'm far from perfect but where possible I will aim to make this world a better place for all the other creatures we share it with (sounds like a Miss Universe statement :lol:).

Training Goals are the same as last year (since I didn't achieve any of them in 2017)...

1). Aim to run 100 Half Marathon distance runs in one year.

2). Aim to average a Lap of Lake Albert (5.5kms) for every day of the year.

3). Aim to average an Ironman Distance (3.8/180/42) each week in training.

Personally I think I've got Buckley's chance of achieving any of them but sometimes you've just got to 'bite off more than you can chew, and chew like buggary'!

• Like 2

I have quite a few this coming year but all very achievable

Personal goals

1) Continue to put myself in front of the right people to help develop a career within my organisation. 

2) Develop a stronger relationship with my son.

3) Complete my engineering drafting course.

4) Work on showing more empathy instead of sympathy & become a better listener

Exercise Goals

1) Prepare and race well at Vietnam 70.3

2) Busso IM

3) Become a stronger swimmer & runner

4) Help my wife to run 5 km

General but equally important goals

1) Get my son the best treatment possible to hopefully give him some relief from his long list of allergies

2) See my dad get back to better health

• Like 5

Training goal - Consistency. Is everything, especially for the over 40s athlete. So ... aim to average 8km Swimming, 3.30hrs on the ergo bike and 25km running per week over the whole year (excluding the two weeks of active recovery after IM Cairns 70.3).

Run sub 25 minute park run by the end of summer

Swim sub 15min for 1km by end of January

Sub 1:17 Nowra Tri Sprint (21 January)

Sub 1:15 Husky sprint (18 Feb)

Sub 1:12 Farkurnell sprint (2 April)

Sub 2:40 Wollongong Olympic (March)

Sub 2:35 Port Stephens Tri (May)

Sub 6hrs - Cairns 70.3

Therafter reassess goals. Could be either a big swimming goal (Samoa Swim series, Rotto and Gibraltar channel) or stepping it back up to Ironman distance - Jervis Bay Long Course weekend, IMWA & Ironman Cairns 2019. ...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Port 70.3 and find someone I can share my life with.

Another ongoing goal of mine is also to help other people achieve their goals.  I'm already sorted on the life partner front (you wouldn't want me anyway as I'm far too old, ugly, short and boring) but I do think that we should try to have a Tranny catch up every now and then where we all make a little bit extra effort to turn up to an event somewhere and share a few lemon squashes etc.  A good value event or festival that's got something for everyone, is easy to get to, and has a range of accommodation would be ideal if anyone's got any ideas.

• Like 4

Personal / Work Goals

- Be a good husband

- Finally kick smoking for good and for ever

- Double the size of my team at work including a full time team in both Hong Kong and Singapore

Sport Goals

- Sub 11 at IMNZ

- Top 10 for the weekend at LCW

- Podium in AG for three other races 

- 2:55 in Sydney Marathon

• Like 3

Personal/Work/Home

- Drink less (while it hasn't become a problem, I think I'm drinking too much)

- Do more with my son (this year has been good, next year will be better)

- Now that the kids are older, do more things with just my wife

- Keep things interesting at work. Develop the new staff.

- Build the Rainforest Grotto, and get the Heliconia gardens in. Reduce the lawn to less than 1/2 acre

Training

- Swim 750km this year

- Sub 14min for 1km (suck them apples Andrew :))

- 100 x 100 on 100

- 20km swim

- Run

- Ride

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1st thing to do. Having a surf.Checked.

Just sitting st Soldiers Beach after a great morning. Small, smooth and beautiful in the water. I wouldn’t be dead for quids. 

FM

• Like 4

Triathlon:

Essentially goal-less.  Hoped to do some short-course racing this season, but the knees won't let me. It's clear as well as mechanical/biochemical issues, after 5+yrs of pain there are neural changes and they flare with anything that looks even vaguely like consistent tri training.  Do Noosa Tri Team swim (28:xx) with Mrs (bike) & SIL (run) in Nov and do an HIM Team swim (33.xx) with Mrs (bike) & youngest daughter (run).

Exercise/health:

Find a protocol to stay very fit & more or less pain-free for everyday life & guiding, that hopefully includes MTB 2x/week as I'm finding that way more fun than tris....though the knees perceive it as a lot like tris :huh:.  Lose 2kgs of gut fat (diet changes? less grog!) and get back down to 65kgs.

Work/family:

Give the new guiding ideas a good crack as part of a move toward making it a reliable semi-retirement income for the Mrs & I, and it will help firm up our semi-retirement location.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Find a protocol to stay very fit & more or less pain-free for everyday life & guiding, that hopefully includes MTB 2x/week as I'm finding that way more fun than tris....

I still think we should be looking at putting some Trannies teams together for the multiple leg events like the Tripple Tri in Canberra (9 legs and up to nine in a team - 3 Swim, 3 MTB's, 3 Runs) and the Multisport Classic at Jindabyne (12 legs and up to twelve in a team - 3 Swims, 3 MTB's, 3 Kayak, 3 Runs).  The legs are all different distances so there's something for everyone, especially the ones who can't run any more, and we can double up on a few legs if we are short on team members.  These are both great team events and the results don't really matter it's just a great excuse for a fun day out.

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Lose 2kgs of gut fat (diet changes? less grog!) and get back down to 65kgs...

Yep, I might add that as one of my goals as well.  It may be a bit more than 2kg though so we'll see.

• Like 1

Work & family - same as 2017.

Triathlon - Mooloolaba tri, Port Mac 70.3, Bris Marathon, Sunny Coast 70.3, New York Marathon. 

I have certain goals in mind for each, but I think the best thing I can do is simply do whatever my coach tells me to do, and the rest will fall into place.  

16 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

- cut out booze and have a generally better diet

Awesome goal. I have been sober three years. Been battling the bottle since I was 20. Had a few stretches of 2 years sober but this is the longest stretch with out a drop. 

My goals. 

Continue to travel.

Buy a new house. 

Wash my cars more. I know it's a stupid goal but when I was training for IM my cars were always filthy. I'm enjoying waking up on a weekend, drinking coffee and washing the cars while listening to music. I'm enjoying driving a clean car. The smell of dirty training gear is almost gone.

• Like 6

Sport:

Feb: Busselton 1/2 marathon - cancelled

March: King Island Imperial (32km) - tick

April: Pyongyang Marathon - tick

September: (maybe) Medoc Marathon, Bordeaux - tick

Non Sport:

Don't get uptight when things don't go to plan, or people do stupid things. "Let it Go"! - not so tick

Not to swear (will give $ to charity when I do).- fail

Not drinking during the week...yikes. - Fail

Sport:

Feb: Busselton 1/2 marathon and Jetty Swim day after. Registered.

March: Rottnest SwimRun (although Partner has pulled out...)

March: Port-2-Pub Duo

November: Considering Osaka Marathon (finances/leave dependent)

Non Sport:

...Let's try these again!

Don't get uptight when things don't go to plan, or people do stupid things. "Let it Go"! 

Not to swear (will give $ to charity when I do)

Not drinking during the week

Accept my singledom and be happy with who I am. 

Edited by Turtle
  • Like 2

At the moment my tri goal is just to shake this bloody injury and manage to actually complete a race before the season is out.

new physio this week so hoping for some new direction.  

• Like 3

I didn't even come close to meeting my 2017 goals, so 2018 goals can get ****ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't want to be unrealistic so my goal is to drink more.  I drink a lot as it is, but more shouldn't be too hard. 

I'll do my best🍺

• Like 1

Missed on some of the 2017 goals.... 

2018 as follows 

Continue to be a ****ing great Dad and eliminate "phone in hand" while I have my daughter around, unless for photos. 

Train 300 days of the year. Up from 287 this year. 

Be happy with the process I go through at Busso in May. And ****ing empty myself in the last 10km of the run. 

Reassess where I am going in life. And how to best set myself up for the next stage in my life. 

Buy a boogie board and get out in the waves. 

Be better at my job. Hard to do in such a variable environment but it is possible. 

• Like 1

FFF, you are after a boogie board. A bit of trivia. I bought the 1st boogie board kit in Oz back in the mid 70s. I paid $45 and built my own. My fav tshirt of all time was my “Morey Boogie Fever”.  The hair of the booger turned into the wave he was riding. I stopped wearing it when there were more holes than solid in it. 

FM

• Like 1