KieranR

Your 1st race

Being a very late comer to the sport im interested to know how your 1st race went, any thing funny / embarrassing / horrible happened

I did my 1st triathlon in 2015 for my local club, it was called the Anzac 100, 1 km swim, 90 km ride and 9 km run on Anzac weekend

the swim...yeah not to great, i think about 30 mins

the ride......on my mountain bike with MTB Tyre's, i think about 3.5 hrs from memory

the run (shuffle)...not so good, got to about 5km and was done, walked a bit and then said to stop being a sook and run (shuffle)

got the award for most bravest competitor or something like that.

Since then i have done that same race again 2016, i went a lot better and i have done 2 70.3 and 1 IM since then.  I was never home to do any other races so all my triathlon experience has been in 100 km or longer races.

Nothing notable about my first tri. Did do my first season on a MTB though. 

Do you listen to the IM Talk podcast? They have a 'My first tri' section each episode that's good to listen to. Some are really funny.

• Like 1

1984 Bundy Triathlon out at Bagara SLSC - beat Hayden Kenny (which impressed the GF (who, 34 years, later probably wishes she hadn't been so impressed at the time)).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Do you listen to the IM Talk podcast? They have a 'My first tri' section each episode that's good to listen to. Some are really funny.

No I don't, never have been a big pod cast listener, i find myself falling asleep, i will find it and have a listen though

1989 Corporate Triathlon at Narrabeen. It was 500/15/5. Three in a team - you did your race then passed onto the next person. Our team of three did 3 x 500/25/5. 

I went first, came across the line, passed on the armband then went straight to a rep basketball game I was coaching. It took me about five minutes to pack up, toss my gear in the car and leave.I I didn’t know how I went or the team until I got to work the next day. 

There was only one funny thing. I took eight minutes for the swim. A mate who was in another team took eight minutes in T1. He washed, had a seat then changed into cycling gear. 

It was rather new in those days. 

FM

• Like 3

1985 Leisure Coast Tri at Lake Illawarra.

1.6/30/11km. It was considered a "sprint" at the time, as there weren't really any shorter races around, so it was a reasonable choice. Or so I thought.

It was also my intro to open water swimming. And it was ugly. Jellyfish. Lots of them.

No wetsuits back then. Continual stings to face, arms, shoulders, chest, legs. Everyone was being hammered in the swim but unknowingly I just sucked it up, thinking, "Well, it is a triathlon and they're not meant to be easy."

Triathlon Sports magazine had a race write up titled "Revenge of the Jellyfish" or something similar. First aid went through about 50 litres of vinegar.

The bike went OK, averaging 30km/hr on pretty primitive equipment. Knocked out the undulating run at 4 minute pace, which allowed me to pick up quite a few places.

I had been running marathons for a couple of years, so in many ways I found my first tri relatively easy. It was tucked in a 4 week period of racing with a half marathon, the tri, and then two marathons just 6 days apart.

The biggest recovery issue was how long it took the jellyfish scars to heal. I remember sitting on a bus in the days following,  and copping some suspicious looks from other passengers. Marks all up my forearms and cradling a cardboard box about 10 x 15 x 15 cm. I'm not sure what I was carrying in the box, but considering my condition (and my tendency to look like a bit of vagrant), I really could have chosen better box than one which read  SYRINGES 1 ml x 100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Enticer event at gold coast (400/12/3) at the end of a 6 week beginner squad. Thought that as i was the best cyclist and almost best swimmer of the beginners I'd dominate but learned a hard lesson about pacing and walked about 2km of the run... 

Loved it though and have gone from sprints to IM and pace them all terribly and walk far too much.. 

• Like 1

I did a short event at Qld Uni when I was pissed, but my first real race was an OD race at Mooloolabah in '84 that had the ride up Buderim Mtn. My bike weighed about 15kg and was far too big for me, but I can still remember pushing it past people still riding while going up the steepest part of the climb. I came in the first half of the field (just) and the bug had bitten.

• Like 1

2001 BRW Sydney.   Oracle entered 4 teams, I should have been one of the fastest on my team but I missed he briefing at work and did an extra lap on the bike.:whistling:

• Haha 1

Mine was a Gatorade enticer - 350/10/2.5

St Kilda Beach in April, no wetsuit, swam polo style because I didn't want to get my face wet.

Had a tub of water in transitions to wash my feet after the swim :D

Just had to go and look it up! Thanks! I was late to the party with tris too, so 2013 Nepean. Nothing embarrassing happened. I was new, had no wettie and was on a 6 month old Roadie. Bug bit hard :-)

2009 Huski sprint. Knew I was going to struggle to do any good in tri's when the outright winner was in my AG! (Thanks @coach :lol:). Worst thing is I just looked up the race, I haven't really gotten much quicker :huh:

First tri was the AIrlie Beach sprint.

Got pulled out of the water at half way in the midst of a tight wetsuit induced panic attack. 3 weeks later I did my first HIM at Coomera Waters on the Gold Coast. HAD A ****ING BALL and I was HOOKED. Slow time but funnily enough still my PB 6:59:32....LOL yes for a half.....LOL A very young Tim Berkel won the 18-25 AG that day. And I bullshitted our way past the traffic wardens with Sunnygirl in the Ute telling them I had one of the Pro Women in the Ute and she was running late !!!! LOL we ended up with a great parking spot near transition!!! LOL

True story B):D:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, KieranR said:

No I don't, never have been a big pod cast listener, i find myself falling asleep, i will find it and have a listen though

They keep me occupied on my long runs. 

Did my first tri in 88 and thought fark that I was 12 at Coffs Harbour never thought I would do one again

went back to just surfing with my mates and mucking around .1990 I did the school x country and went all right The old man said I should do a tri again by this stage he was a full blowin gaylord triathlete shaving his fricken legs!

So I did it it was the Cannon Botany Bay Classic out at larparouse I came about 300th in the age group race .Marc lees won it I said to the old man I could win and beat those dudes he said ok if you win overall next year I'll buy you a bike 

Still got the Cadex Giant in the shed..lol

IMG_0443.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1st race was a sprint and I did OK. First 70.3 was a complete clusterfnck

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

Started training to do my first tri in '92.  Did my first tri in '09 (why rush these things) which was the goldie brw.  Followed that up by doing 8 legs of the tour de tri at kawana in a team and decided to do the '09 GCHIM because of that, with no long training and not a single clue what I was doing.  To this day it still stands as my most successful long course tri (with the exceptions of tour de tri's), probably because I now think I know what I'm doing but in reality have no clue what so ever, and what's more dangerous than having no clue - thinking you have a clue :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Youngest of three boys growing up in a poor family.  My first race was the easter egg hunt. My brothers were brutal & sharing was not an option. 

My first tri was a local come & try race. 100m/ 7km/ 1.5km run.  Wore board shorts & a rash vest. Went home and slept the entire afternoon. 

• Like 2

1991 canobolas tri at orange.

1-30-8 

Was won by Tony (jabba) Unicomb.

for me and a few mates this was our first tri.

we got to orange and went out for a pasta feed the night before the race as you did back then. We all ordered orange juice to go with our food till one of the boys  said , “ah stuff it, I’ll have a beer” so we all changed our order and had a few beers with dinner. Waking back to our accommodation reasonably early we passed a pub that seemed to be “rather lively”  so we nipped in there for “a quick one”.

we left the pub near midnight and had a dodgy kebab from a kebab van in a servo and went home and slept very soundly. 😀 .

race was rather uneventful although it wasn’t easy. A few mates dropped back to the shorter distance on race morning due to feeling a little worse for wear. 

We drove back home that afternoon and I vividly remember that by the time we hit the blue mountains the car was a cramp fest. 

Simpler times and lots of fun.

• Like 7

https://imgur.com/a/e9Vjg

My first was in 1983 in Canberra where the Federal Police (in the form of Ken Uren) organised a 'forces' triathlon comprising emergency services personnel as well as Defence Force personnel.  Consequently there were not crowds of competitors and,  because the sport was in its infancy, there was no infrastructure nor closed roads..  Transition was a grassy knoll on the edge of the lake where you lay your bike down.  As in the attached picture taken at Atlanta in 1989, there were no cycling shoes, only running shoes held on the pedal by a leather strap.  In the 1983 event my wife waited by my bike until I came out of the water and helped me put on my gear. 

Aaah ... those were the days.

Edited by Jon
  • Like 3

Basically, I started doing tri's in 1994 with the sole intention of only ever doing one race, the Forster Ironman in 1995.  I’d seen the MMM Triathlon at Manly in the early 80’s on TV and I vowed that one day I’d have a crack at it.  Forster was the only race that I actually wanted to do, and I only wanted to finish it, so I just focused on doing enough training to finish each leg within the cut off times.

You didn't have to qualify for Forster way back then but it said on the entry form that you had to write down an event that you’d done just to show that you knew what you were doing. I contacted the phone number on the entry form and they said any race would do but mentioned that the NSW Sprint Champs was the 'Richie Walker Memorial Triathlon' at Kurnell and it was on soon, so I thought it would be a good one to do.  I wasn't super keen on doing a 'State Championship' race as I felt totally out of my depth, but I turned up on my old steel Repco bike and had a go. I was hopeless and during the race I kept thinking about how there is no way I could do this sport as it was just too hard!

I made it through the race and finished well back in the field, but was feeling pretty happy with myself for making it through a full triathlon. Over the PA they were giving updates about some bloke named 'Greg Welsh' who was about to win the Hawaiian Ironman.  He was a Shire local and Richie Walker was the guy who introduced him to triathlon in the first place.  The crowd went off and the atmosphere was amazing. There was a lot of cheering and carrying on and I guess I just got suckered in to the whole thing. I’d picked a really cool race to do as my first ever triathlon.  It was a pretty special day and I've been hooked on the sport ever since!

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 4

Corporate games Kurnell 2013 - 300m/20km/5km got encouraged to do it by a work mate. At least the swim was only 300m, would have died otherwise! ^_^

First tri was Rotorua 1/2 Ironman in 2006.

I had been doing run/bike/kayak endurance racing for about 12 years prior to this, had wanted to do an Ironman since early 90's when i flatted with some others who did them. I couldn't swim, never really learnt as a kid. The distances were short compared to some multi-sport events, so went in super confident

Mid 2006, went to the local pool and swam? 25m, stopped rested, swam back to the start of the lane, repeat. First swim was probably 300m in 40min. Continued to go back several times a week and drag myself up and down pool. No squad, no lessons, no technique, just brute strength and determination. I think I watched some video of swim technique and maybe read a book.

I got pneumonia about 4 weeks prior to the December race, so that meant my tapper was long. Started the race with this is a learning and can/will pull out if need/want to.

Swim was in beautiful fresh water lake (Blue Lake), so when i got dunked on the start line and had a panic attack, at least i drunk fresh water. Got swum over by all the following waves. But i survived so thought it would go well from there

Bike was a steep hill out of T1, grabbed a handfull of jet plains and shoved into mouth as got on bike, couldn't chew, breath and climb so swallowed the lot. Then felt like throwing up the rest of the bike, trying to drink with this solid lump in the stomach.

Run, ran with stitch from the start until had to walk, just wanted to throw up, but kept going. walked most of the run (did 2 1/2hrs) (considering i was in 90 min 1/2 marathon form in October)

Cross the finish line and slowly drinking a coke, stood up and threw up in some bushes, felt so much better, and got applauded by those around me.

Certainly came away with a great list of things to improve on. And my ass handed to me on a plate

The 1991 Captain Triathlon at Pykes Creek just outside of Ballan on the road to Ballarat. Had a panic attack and was dragged from the water.

Mum and Dad were quietly pleased that this phase of my life was now over....

• Haha 1