Jump to content
KieranR

Your 1st race

Recommended Posts

2016 corporate tri in melbourne (yes I'm new to this).  Had to flag down a lifeguard half way not because of my swimming but because I was sure I was going to lose my timing band, and I couldn't tighten it up myself without drowning...

Got to T1, pulled bike shoes on, then realised I still needed to take my wetsuit off :D

Smashed the run pretty hard with a tiny female on my heels doing about 200 cadence to my 150.  Strava stalked her, apparently she usually races in the Elite ranks so that made me feel pretty good.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1988 Nepean. The old river swim, bike out Mulgoa rd and back up the Northern road. 12km run out through Leonay and Emu Plains. No aerobars, no wetsuit, no racing flats. A Ricardo Viva bike I'd bought second hand after my summer job. Got passed by lots on the bike, and passed lots on the run. I think 73rd o'all?? Somewhere around 2 hours.I'll need to be on the start line in 2018 for the 30th anniversary of my first tri!

OldSchool69....the Botany Bay Classic in 1990 was my first AG win, and 1st amateur. Pretty sure the pro's did a different course. I remember a vaguely XC run that couldn't have been more than 4km. I had to get a lift out there with a housemate as I didn't have transport at the time and it (La Perouse) seemed miles from anywhere (to me).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First OD race was Mooloolaba in 2009. It all went pretty well, except the swim was in the canal, and people (including me) came out of the water with black on their face, I think it was the oil from the boats we were swimming around. 

First 70.3 was 2010 Golf Coast HIM at Coomera - pretty sure it was the last time they held it. I had never ridden nor run that far before, so it hurt like hell and I swore I wouldn’t do it again (yet here I am). Weather was atrocious and wife was heavily pregnant and cranky. Could barely walk for a week afterwards. 

First Ironman was 2013 Cairns - nothing bad happened, was a good day. I trained with AP and he prepared me well for it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Mool tri I did the swim in a team, I clearly was lucky with no black face.

I TOed that GCHIM, draft busting on the back of a motorbike (my first time on a motorbike) the stretch out at the far turn around, in an open faced helmet and no wet weather gear. The weather was atrocious, and that was the last one!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A short duathlon out the back of Canberra in the pine forest in about 1987.  Came 2nd, but only cos two stupid f*ckers didn't listen to the pre-race instructions and took a short cut on the run.  I had a spew while running trying to catch them, caught one but not the other.

Ken Uren won the full-distance duathlon.  Anyone remember Ken - a Canberra cop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corporate Tri in 89 down when it was at Narrabeen. Followed by Nepean in 89. Botany Bay Classic and Nowra, Wollongong tri's soon followed. Anyone remember these...they were part of the Original Ampol series.

Nothing eventful, though no tri bars no wetsuits etc and road/ran in in Fred Perry Tennis shoes (Clogs) -great shoes...for tennis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1989, local club race. 30 odd k ride in old skool sluggos....not a good outcome. Obviously had something going for it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2day fm in mid 80's. Only entered because swim was across harbour and thought I would like to do that. Swim start was about 800 people filing into harbour off pier 1 (no wave starts) and swimming to a park just left of Luna park as you look from south to north. Ride was around north Sydney with no closed roads. Riding up between cars at traffic lights. Run was across harbour bridge and up to Sebel in kings cross. Following year they just had swim run as ride was considered too dangerous. Not sure on what order but marc dragan, mark Allen and Scott Molina filled top 3 places. I think Erin baker may have won women's but could be wrong on that one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CootaGC said:

2day fm in mid 80's. Only entered because swim was across harbour and thought I would like to do that. Swim start was about 800 people filing into harbour off pier 1 (no wave starts) and swimming to a park just left of Luna park as you look from south to north. Ride was around north Sydney with no closed roads. Riding up between cars at traffic lights. Run was across harbour bridge and up to Sebel in kings cross. Following year they just had swim run as ride was considered too dangerous. Not sure on what order but marc dragan, mark Allen and Scott Molina filled top 3 places. I think Erin baker may have won women's but could be wrong on that one.

I was working in Sydney and as a 2Day FM listener this event got me interested.  I think from memory you had to put an estimated swim time on the entry form.  I wasn't a swimmer so went to the pool for a couple of weeks and built up to swimming about 250m non-stop (or with maybe just having a short break at each end :huh:).  I took my best 250m time, knocked about 2 minutes off it and times it by 4 for my estimated 1km swim time...  I think it was about 35 minutes :o.  I rang and spoke to one of the organisers to see if that time would be ok and he basically said that I'd be shark bait.  So that together with the fact that I probably couldn't swim across the Harbour anyway killed any ideas I had of entering.  The organiser also said that they were desperately looking for volunteers so I ended up marshalling part of the run course at the Rocks, I think near where the International Terminal is now.

Anyway, my section of the run course went really well, and it was great watching some pretty impressive athletes in full flight, but apparently closer to the finish they had a few problems and I think it was Scott Tinley who ended up coming up to the finish line from the wrong direction!! :lol:.

Yes, it was definitely a strange event with open roads and riders having to stop at traffic lights in the middle of the race.  It was great to watch though.  Disclaimer - I'm a bit foggy on the facts but from memory I think it was 1984.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heh - First race was nearly 10 years ago, some random sprint distance at Black Mountain Peninsular. For our wave it was a bunch of teenagers and a whole of of novices. Being that the Teenagers all looked like they knew what they were doing, I decided to ignore them.

Swim started and a pack formed and disappeared into the distance. Then there was me and two others, and then a fair way behind, the rest of the masses. I thought I was doing well, and I think that still might be my best placing in a swim. I was really happy at that stage, thought I might be able to do better in future races, when I stepped up to longer distances. I didn't lose that many places on the bike ride either. Was nearly stone cold last by the end of my walk... (As I have said before, The first time I ran 5k without stopping would have been about 4 years later, AFTER I had already completed IMMelb)

What I had forgotten about that swim, and why I am never in the top half of a swim since then, is that the reason people start at the shorter distances is that many of them are scared of the water, swimming is their worst sport. Add in LBG, where on a clear day you MIGHT be able to see your elbows, and this just show why I can 'sort of' swim. Faster and more confident than the novices, but slower than those who have gotten over their fears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the enticers in Melbourne in the Summer of 2003/2004 by my guess.  Hadn't done aerobic exercise in any form for a while, came off a 10km fun run that I did in 63 minutes without training and thought I'd give one of these tris a go.  Didn't have a bike so bought one on ebay for $40 that I had to catch the train clean across Melbourne to go collect, put a couple of new tyres on it, a minor service and entered online.

Did okay, nothing to set the house on fire but was hooked.  Listed that bike back on ebay and got $50 for it, put in a couple hundred more and bought a Merida with tri bars on the standard handlebars (but these ones had gear changers on the handlebars, not the top bar like the last one), bought some elastic laces and set about figuring out which flavour of GU was the best.  Got onto all the important stuff first :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Go Easy said:

I was working in Sydney and as a 2Day FM listener this event got me interested.  I think from memory you had to put an estimated swim time on the entry form.  I wasn't a swimmer so went to the pool for a couple of weeks and built up to swimming about 250m non-stop (or with maybe just having a short break at each end :huh:).  I took my best 250m time, knocked about 2 minutes off it and times it by 4 for my estimated 1km swim time...  I think it was about 35 minutes :o.  I rang and spoke to one of the organisers to see if that time would be ok and he basically said that I'd be shark bait.  So that together with the fact that I probably couldn't swim across the Harbour anyway killed any ideas I had of entering.  The organiser also said that they were desperately looking for volunteers so I ended up marshalling part of the run course at the Rocks, I think near where the International Terminal is now.

Anyway, my section of the run course went really well, and it was great watching some pretty impressive athletes in full flight, but apparently closer to the finish they had a few problems and I think it was Scott Tinley who ended up coming up to the finish line from the wrong direction!! :lol:.

Yes, it was definitely a strange event with open roads and riders having to stop at traffic lights in the middle of the race.  It was great to watch though.  Disclaimer - I'm a bit foggy on the facts but from memory I think it was 1984.

I thought it was 1984 but was unsure. As it was my first Tri I wasn't keen getting caught in the crowded swim so took off to one side and ended up on my own out under the harbour bridge so shark bait crossed my mind at the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Corporate Tri in 89 down when it was at Narrabeen. Followed by Nepean in 89. Botany Bay Classic and Nowra, Wollongong tri's soon followed. Anyone remember these...they were part of the Original Ampol series.

Nothing eventful, though no tri bars no wetsuits etc and road/ran in in Fred Perry Tennis shoes (Clogs) -great shoes...for tennis.

Yep the old man did them all I did the gong race in 91 I think but it was Dihatsu series then the old man forged my age so I could do it !haha swam on top of the jellyfish the whole way... lol

Heaven forbid if a 15 year old kid tried to do an Olympic distance race these days... lol

On 29/12/2017 at 11:31 PM, garf said:

1988 Nepean. The old river swim, bike out Mulgoa rd and back up the Northern road. 12km run out through Leonay and Emu Plains. No aerobars, no wetsuit, no racing flats. A Ricardo Viva bike I'd bought second hand after my summer job. Got passed by lots on the bike, and passed lots on the run. I think 73rd o'all?? Somewhere around 2 hours.I'll need to be on the start line in 2018 for the 30th anniversary of my first tri!

OldSchool69....the Botany Bay Classic in 1990 was my first AG win, and 1st amateur. Pretty sure the pro's did a different course. I remember a vaguely XC run that couldn't have been more than 4km. I had to get a lift out there with a housemate as I didn't have transport at the time and it (La Perouse) seemed miles from anywhere (to me).

Yes mate the pros went after on a different course by memory Benny won it in a sprint finish with Shane Johnson not sure on the years 

Marc lees won the amateur race the first year I did it in pretty sure that might of been 91 then I won it 92 I think and mud guts Paul Obrien took the silver haha 

we then went wake boarding and got in trouble of the msb for swamping kayakers and egging them .... haha ahh teenage boys

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But on to the big question - Do  you still have the shirt?

(for me that's a yes - but it seems to have shrunk slightly :mellow:)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have the shirt from the first proper race I attended... NSW Club Champs. Still one of the best race experiences and subsequent hangover ever. It's the day I stopped being an athlete and became a sportsman

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had singlets /shirts for years at mums plus pretty much every tri mag of triathlon sports ( less the entry forms from the back pages) 

they moved house 

mum

"do you want them son "

me

"what would I want that shit for  just chuck it out"

......DOH!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, trifun said:

But on to the big question - Do  you still have the shirt?

(for me that's a yes - but it seems to have shrunk slightly :mellow:)

Through the 2day fm a few years ago. My son was wearing my Dubbo Tri singlet the other day that I thought I threw out. I think it was Peter Deacon Dubbo Triathlon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duck18 said:

Thought this would be a good place to introduce myself. Just did my first Tri last night. After starting to ride my bike in a local bunch ride this year and doing the local parkrun a few times I thought I would have a go at the my local club's Wednesday night tri (Echuca Moama Tri club). Loved it. I need to start swim training as I was worn out after 100m!

A great time of year to take up the swim training, especially with that moniker - welcome to the pond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first Triathlon was the 2004 Matilda Bay Sprint (Crawley Bay near UWA Perth), which I recall was a 400 Swim/18km Ride/5km Run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×