Flanman

Christmas & New Year

Couldn't have said it better myself mate.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my brothers and sisters across the miles. Train well, stay safe, have fun.

:cheers:

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Merv said:

I become melancholy and weep during this period.

I hope you get through it then Merv. After all, you are one of the Trannie family's favourites.

FM

I was having a bit of a think last night.  There isn't much I miss about living in Oz, wide parking spaces, coffee and a decent warm water wave is about it.  I really miss my friends though and I think this is the first year that I've really thought in a general sense that I'd rather throw down that 200 tonne anchor in Oz for the family.

This time of year does funny things with your head.:wine:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As we say in Wales: nadolig llawen ffrindiau, yma a dros y mor - it's kinda like pissed Aussie speak but with another few beers thrown in (merry xmas my friends, here and overseas).

To those who enjoy it: have a ball. To those who survive it: have my thoughts.

If you're in Sydney and lonely, there's a coffee, beer or simply a chat at mine.

Swim-Bike-Run : Laugh-Learn-Live

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest FFF1077

Yes 

Merry Christmas to you all. Stay well. Hope everything goes well in 2018. 

You're a ****ing great group of people who I love sharing my passion for this sport with. 

Here's to 300 days of training in 2018. 🍻✌️

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

You're a ****ing great group of people who I love sharing my passion for this sport with. 

I second that

• Like 2

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.

whatever you are doing and whoever you are doing it with, make the best of it.

if you are alone or feeling sad, reach out, PM me or other trannies if you need a friendly ear. 

Thanks for being a great bunch of people who make running this site both easy and an absolute pleasure. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

On a Giant! LOL 😎👍

20171225_062935.jpg

Why are we all laughing? 😝😠

Ripper bike, Ivy!!

That'll get you to Kona!!

Guest FFF1077
4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Why are we all laughing? 😝😠

Ripper bike, Ivy!!

That'll get you to Kona!!

Mooj was being polite to yet another crappy Dad joke 

For lunch at work today we had the buffet of champions, where everyone brings a dish. It gets quite competitive.....  some guys have instructions to ring their wives asap with feedback.

Edited by Merv
  • Haha 1

Hope you all had a great day whatever you did. 

I think I had the best Chrissy Day in a long time. No fuss. No bother. No running from place to place.  No drunken family arguments.  No presents for the adults. Just the right amount of presents for the kids (who were appreciative and played with all their gifts).

Crossoints with ham & cheese, fruit salad, & juice for breaky. Chicken and salad for lunch. Lots of sugary treats in between. Ham & salad for dinner. 

Survived this afternoon's storm. 

Ready for a run and trainer session in the morning to work off part of the sugar I consumed today! 

Life is good. Sending Christmas cheer your way, if it's needed. 

• Like 2

Merry Xmas everyone! Nothing stressful here today, just the 2 kids the wife and I, stayed home, got my LEGO degree after 4.5hrs of building it, then it took my son 3 minutes to re design it his way 😂😂, did a 1000 piece Cinderella jigsaw with my daughter and played operation about 10 times! Prepped all our food last night so today was easy!

stay safe

kieran

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Merv said:

For lunch at work today we had the buffet of champions, where everyone brings a dish. It gets quite competitive.....  some guys have instructions to ring their wives asap with feedback.

not Xmas food but dusted off the CV recently. Smarter half is a recruiter. She was devastated when I scored 9.5 out of 10 for that section. Inconsistent capitalisation. Twice. 

Left on our my annual pilgrimage to Jindabyne a few days early this year, so spent Christmas day on the Main Range up to Kosciusko. Ham sandwich on the mountain for the unfussiest Xmas lunch ever. Merry Christmas all. 

Oh, and the husband loves his new deCadence wheels (yes, went over budget)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KieranR said:

Merry Xmas everyone! Nothing stressful here today, just the 2 kids the wife and I, stayed home, got my LEGO degree after 4.5hrs of building it, then it took my son 3 minutes to re design it his way 😂😂, did a 1000 piece Cinderella jigsaw with my daughter and played operation about 10 times! Prepped all our food last night so today was easy!

stay safe

kieran

35 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Left on our my annual pilgrimage to Jindabyne a few days early this year, so spent Christmas day on the Main Range up to Kosciusko. Ham sandwich on the mountain for the unfussiest Xmas lunch ever. Merry Christmas all. 

These two sounds like perfect Christmas days to me.

I think it's all getting a bit out of control.  ??

• Like 3

Spent most of the day cleaning in the garage, and more so re-organising some of my work shed.  Then made a cheesecake, tossed salad and headed to the bil's for xmas dinner which we finally wanted at our place but they insisted.  Luckily fil brought two cheap woolies chickens with him, because even though the bil gave us a list of what he would supply and what he wanted us to bring (coleslaw and maybe a dessert), they forgot to get anything other than breadrolls (they were supplying other salads and all meat), so if we'd listened to them dinner would have been rolls and coleslaw.  But we ended up taking a few salads, cheescake and Rob made a pav.  Next year xmas is at our place and if they can't make it (with divorces etc, they have about 5 families to fit in) I couldn't care less.  Then got home and watched shows about extreme hoarders and something I've never seen about some narcissistic family that confirmed they are the biggest waste of time around, then took my teeth out and went to sleep.  With a massive amount of work to get done in the next two weeks my wife banned me from working the last 4 days so am grumpier than ever.   If by the end of the day I can get Jas's car in our garage it'll be worth it all.

Edited by goughy

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

Spent most of the day cleaning in the garage, and more so re-organising some of my work shed.  Then made a cheesecake, tossed salad and headed to the bil's for xmas dinner which we finally wanted at our place but they insisted.  Luckily fil brought two cheap woolies chickens with him, because even though the bil gave us a list of what he would supply and what he wanted us to bring (coleslaw and maybe a dessert), they forgot to get anything other than breadrolls (they were supplying other salads and all meat), so if we'd listened to them dinner would have been rolls and coleslaw.  But we ended up taking a few salads, cheescake and Rob made a pav.  Next year xmas is at our place and if they can't make it (with divorces etc, they have about 5 families to fit in) I couldn't care less.  Then got home and watched shows about extreme hoarders and something I've never seen about some narcissistic family that confirmed they are the biggest waste of time around, then took my teeth out and went to sleep.  With a massive amount of work to get done in the next two weeks my wife banned me from working the last 4 days so am grumpier than ever.   If by the end of the day I can get Jas's car in our garage it'll be worth it all.

What the ....

Teeth? 😂

48 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I think it's all getting a bit out of control.  ??

I agree, although this year was pretty good for us and not as silly as the past few.

But, we have just been talking about possibly doing a Christmas Cruise next year to escape the madness.  No real prep required and let someone else do the catering and cleaning up.  I've never done a cruise of any kind so I'm keen to see what it's like.

Has anyone done a Christmas Cruise?  Is it a good idea?  I figure if I'm going to spend a small fortune anyway, and take a forced break from work and training, then I may as well get to enjoy it.  Plus it's an easier time of year for us all to get some holidays at the same time.

Thoughts???

2 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

I agree, although this year was pretty good for us and not as silly as the past few.

But, we have just been talking about possibly doing a Christmas Cruise next year to escape the madness.  No real prep required and let someone else do the catering and cleaning up.  I've never done a cruise of any kind so I'm keen to see what it's like.

Has anyone done a Christmas Cruise?  Is it a good idea?  I figure if I'm going to spend a small fortune anyway, and take a forced break from work and training, then I may as well get to enjoy it.  Plus it's an easier time of year for us all to get some holidays at the same time.

Thoughts???

I'll never cruise. I'm scared of ice burgs. Other than that, sounds like a great idea!

15 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'll never cruise. I'm scared of ice burgs...

Haha, not too many Ice Burgs off the Queensland Coast.  Possibly a few icy cool Ironman athletes, and maybe even Burgs doing his IM training, but not too many of the one's that would sink the Titanic! :lol:.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'll never cruise. I'm scared of ice burgs. Other than that, sounds like a great idea!

Same here, though not scared of ice burgs, i just can't fathom being stuck on a ship, small rooms, over priced everything and quite possibly shit weather, and with a wife who gets sea sick in a bath tub, i just cant see it being a good holiday for me.  Not to mention the all too frequent stories ive heard about gastro smashing their way through everyone on board.

Yet despite all this the wife still claims she would enjoy a cruise.

• Haha 3

Did a cruise once. Hubby had a period of ill health so we couldn't do anything else really. Got to see the fjords in Norway which we would probably never have seen otherwise, but I wont do one again unless I'm decrepit. Felt like a sheep being herded this place and that...

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

Are they like Hey Burgs, bit even more chill (if that's possible)

50 minutes ago, goughy said:

Are they like Hey Burgs, bit even more chill (if that's possible)

Yes. Very very scary! 

5 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Thoughts???

Cruises are full of bogans that stuff themselves at the buffet and sink grog. 

Guest FFF1077
2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Bali on the water?? :huh:

Staying at Mt Beauty, great view of Mt Bogong. Riding up and down mountains.  Reminiscing about hang gliding, which I was into 30 years ago. Coast goes crazy, mountains much quieter. Yes, Xmas nearly out of control. Just my partner and self this year. Respectful Xmas day, no  over indulgence, contemplative, count your blessings or just simple good fortune etc. Can't help but feel lucky to be able to ride up Mt Buffalo, near spiritual experience, certainly mindful. (Reminds me of a post years ago here by The Grinch, no idea who she is/was)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Did a cruise once... but I wont do one again unless I'm decrepit.

7 hours ago, AA7 said:

Hmmm...  Sounds like it's right up my alley!   :wine::wheelchair:

• Haha 1

If you want to cruise in style then one of the river Christmas cruises in Europe are worth it.  Several of our clients have done them and rave about the beautiful food, scenery and the incredible Christmas markets.  You have to enjoy the cold tho, and I am pretty sure there are not many icebergs.

• Like 1

Not my smartest day!

Went down the 'Bidgee near Canberra chasing cod with my 19yo nephew.  Farked up big time and went in & out the steep hard way, got trapped by 7ft walls of blackberries mostly on the way out and torn to bits....and got no fish as we did not have the right lures.  To rub salt into the wounds, we came across two other guys who did have the right lures and were catching 10 to the dozen.....and who had come in the easy smart way from the opposite side of the river.....which is what we'll be doing today.

Thought we might be spending the night there at one stage as it was getting late & we kept finding ourselves in a cage of wicked blackberry bushes.  Crawled through a few animal gaps to get out on the way back, as could not find the easier track we'd come in on.  Might invest in a GPS!

Still, was nice to know I'm still fit enough to keep up with my nephew.  If we'd had a big fat bugger with us, they were gorrneee.

Getting in was easy -  should see the legs & hands after coming out!

BQATnRn.jpg

Trying to keep up with the young bloke

CwEYEeU.jpg

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Spent Christmas day with the mother in law near Derby in Tasmania. Caught the boat over to Melbourne Christmas night arriving in time to go to the boxing day test. Not a bad Christmas.

• Like 2

The family and I did a Xmas cruise 3 years ago.  Flew to Auckland on the 19th.  Poked around there then boarded on the 23rd.  Bounced down the east coast, Milford Sound then Hobart for NYE before a day ashore in Melbourne (we just strolled down to Luna Park and St Kilda shops because we have been a few times).  Finishes Sydney so one way flights only.

Was a great minimilist Xmas.  Small presents for the kids.  Lunch with no cleanup.  No other relos.  I enjoyed it as a once off.  

Ive done two cruises.  I dont mind them as long as they are 4-5 years apart.  I am happy running laps of the ship and hitting the weights room, plus quite happy to get messy on the drink every now and then so it is ok for me.  If you are a health freak it wont be your thing.  Food is like eating in a shopping centre food court for a week or so.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've written this and deleted 3 times...my first without my boys being with me on Christmas day and the first without a call to my mother...

...but I spoke to them, ate a load, made too many amazing espresso martinis, cooked some awesome food, including for two 90+ year olds who told me it would be their last Xmas, in a good and entertaining way, and I actually spun my legs on my new Cycleops Hammer...Plus I turned a non-cyclist into a cyclist by buying them a bike...won trivial pursuits...and I went to bed a little pissed and awoke with a Boxing Day hangover (ok, it was a lot more than a "little pissed")!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TenPints said:

I've written this and deleted 3 times...my first without my boys being with me on Christmas day and the first without a call to my mother...

Thinking of you 

That looks weird. You know what I mean! !

Edited by Cranky
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Thinking of you 

That looks weird. You know what I mean! !

LoL! Thank's Cranky, means a lot - and I know what you mean.

• Haha 1

Hey Stu, sorry you didn’t get to see your boys this year mate, that must have been tough. 

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation though.

thoughts are with you mate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hey Stu, sorry you didn’t get to see your boys this year mate, that must have been tough. 

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation though.

thoughts are with you mate. 

Cheers Roxii, really appreciated. It was tough but was lucky to have some great company. Counting days until I see them for new year.

• Like 1

My daughter moved out during the year. It was probably needed, as her mother & her were just tearing each other apart and it was hurting all of us. She came back over on Xmas eve & stayed till she had to go to work Boxing Day morning. Whilst Xmas is still stressfull, with 2 groups of families and 2 big meals to prepare, it was really good to have her back for the couple days. I didn't realise how much I missed her.

Mind you, some things don't change. a couple hours after she'd headed off, I went into her bedroom, and the light was on, the fan was on, the bed was a mess and there were clothes all over the floor. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1