Sign in to follow this  
roxii

Carbon wheel testing

Bike Rumor ran a story recently about new brand ALTO testing some carbon clinchers to failure. 

The story is pretty sensational and has some pretty graphic images

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/08/alto-cycling-spark-melts-carbon-clinchers-w-multi-brand-rim-brake-test/

The responses though from some of the tested brands possibly makes more interesting reading and I think again shows the need for some sort of industry minimal standard as currently the UCI testing is only an impact test.  

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/12/14/enve-mavic-boyd-respond-alto-cyclings-carbon-rim-brake-test/

Happy reading

Interesting read, both of them.

Seems science can be the same as statistics if you want to prove a point (that your wheels are best).

• Like 1

Always the assertions by the companies that all's good now, even if it wasnt before, now it is. Maybe.  Technology improves. Still maybe.

Even if the particular test can be contested as to relevance,  there should be more independent testing of wheels and other components, either standards or maybe a levy. Two friends of mine badly broken bones through mechanical failure: a crankarm and a tyre sidewall. One is in a legal process. 

I've got a pair of Dura Ace C24s, with an aluminium braking track,  Shimano at the time apparently did not believe full carbon rims with rim braking could be reliable enough , not sure about now.  And they delayed their carbon-aluminium wheels as they reportedly had failures of the glue holding the braking track on.

Guess disk brakes might address the particular problem of carbon rims overheating and failing.  But maybe they have their own issues, and certainly they did with wheels being pulled from dropouts, hence through axles.

Edited by longshot

It was just an advert for alto? I also not they didn't test the rims with their intended brake pad. most wheels come with a "use this pad or else warning" that might be worth something...

I've never heard of alto and wouldn't buy them simply because of that. 

• Like 1

Only ever had one prob in 30 years of riding Zipps (& that wheel I suspect was damaged by an airline when racing back to back weekends interstate) big plus was that Zipp replaced the one year old wheel under (the expired) Warrenty.  Remember to clean brake blocks for longer wheel life ( bits iof crud can get wedges into the pads / block the cooling/ water shedding channels etc).