KieranR

Help building a 70.3 plan

At the moment I feel like my current form would warrant a slap, punch or getting fired.  Ruley can you please help me draft a plan to work my way to option 5 and ultimately option 6?  I am willing to keep a diary and work hard at small changes to allow my body to absorb the changes necessary to accomplish my goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And of course this is only part of the picture and includes whether your genetics lie on the spectrum between Matthew McConaughey and Clive Palmer.

Best line on this thread B)

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

At the moment I feel like my current form would warrant a slap, punch or getting fired.  Ruley can you please help me draft a plan to work my way to option 5 and ultimately option 6?  I am willing to keep a diary and work hard at small changes to allow my body to absorb the changes necessary to accomplish my goal.

Step 1) buy a razor

I want before and after photos

17 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

you sound like my girlfriend

He probably is 

So AP if your giving away free programs I wouldn't mind a crack.

Just a year would be fine. 

I've always been interested to know what you would change but never enough to actually pay for it.:lol:

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

you sound like my girlfriend

transvestite.jpg

Your girlfriend wants you to do ultraman

On 12/18/2017 at 2:57 PM, prizna said:

nothing positive to add except i love that you know your ftp yet dont 'know' how to train

Actually, there is a good message there behind the glibness.

Too many people over-think the sport, look for high tech solutions and silver bullets.

But look at two recurring themes:

On 12/18/2017 at 1:37 PM, zed said:

I've been injury free for a year now ..... being injury free has meant consistency......

On 12/19/2017 at 3:26 AM, Buggeracup said:

the improvement comes through volume and consistency. ........... It's about aerobic consistency over a long period that will get the results.

18 hours ago, Stikman said:

I you don't need anything more than consistency ........ Avoiding injury is key to consistency,........ It shouldn't be overly complicated.

Achieving those will be your keys to improvement.

Whatever other tools, sessions and techniques AP employs in his training programs for his athletes, you can bet a large part of his success as a coach comes down to his knowledge and ability to structure programs that keep his athletes injury-free and motivated to train consistently all year round.

The basics are, not so surprisingly, pretty basic! Especially so for beginners. But so many manage to over-complicate things.

Train consistently, don't get injured.

Then when you are ready to taper, it's time to set a goal time based on your new-found fitness and what you have achieved in recent training sessions and races.

Other than a being a motivator, choosing a goal time now is putting the cart before the horse.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Whatever other tools, sessions and techniques AP employs in his training programs for his athletes, you can bet a large part of his success as a coach comes down to his knowledge and ability to structure programs that keep his athletes injury-free and motivated to train consistently all year round.

Right on Paul - it's interesting that 98% of all athletes who have had success in my squad and have moved on to either try another coach or do their own thing fail to equal the performances they enjoyed in the squad. Most have a feeling that they should be doing more, but when they go out and do more, their results are not as good.

A strategy I employ to encourage consistency is to change the routine about every 6-8 weeks (keep it interesting - and I've found most gains are achieved in 6-8 weeks - then it's time to work another angle) - and keep it fun - we always have a good banter going and we finish most sessions with a coffee stop.

The single over riding factor in our training is the continual focus on core strength, technique in all sports and endurance B)

On 20/12/2017 at 4:55 PM, AP said:

Right on Paul - it's interesting that 98% of all athletes who have had success in my squad and have moved on to either try another coach or do their own thing fail to equal the performances they enjoyed in the squad. Most have a feeling that they should be doing more, but when they go out and do more, their results are not as good.

A strategy I employ to encourage consistency is to change the routine about every 6-8 weeks (keep it interesting - and I've found most gains are achieved in 6-8 weeks - then it's time to work another angle) - and keep it fun - we always have a good banter going and we finish most sessions with a coffee stop.

The single over riding factor in our training is the continual focus on core strength, technique in all sports and endurance B)

I would be interested to see how you would tailor a program for Kdog considering his relatively weak swim and run

"40 min Swim, 2:40 bike, 2:10 run "

I reckon a lot of coaches would simply chuck a 3/3/3 program at him. Does it risk their credibility if they say told him to run 5/6 times a week, but only ride once? Is it easier to go for a more conventional training program? Less risk?

3 minutes ago, zed said:

I would be interested to see how you would tailor a program for Kdog considering his relatively weak swim and run

"40 min Swim, 2:40 bike, 2:10 run "

I reckon a lot of coaches would simply chuck a 3/3/3 program at him. Does it risk their credibility if they say told him to run 5/6 times a week, but only ride once? Is it easier to go for a more conventional training program? Less risk?

He probably doesn't have the running background to run 5-6 times a week - I'd ask for video of his swimming and running - then I'd get him to do some test workouts to see what he's short of immediately (power - strength - endurance - ticker) half of all performance issues are between the ears - whether it's lack of self belief - lack of commitment - plain old "too soft a spring on his relief valve" - all these issues can be overcome by gradually giving him "confidence building experiences" - to go through these confidence building experiences you have to believe in the coach and believe in the plan - a lot of this comes from communication 

Maybe the 3 - 3 - 3 program is what he needs - but the pieces that make up the 3 x 3 all need to be specific to his needs - there are a lot of guys out there who just need to forget their excuses and get out the door for 9 sessions a week - and do it week in - week out for a few months without giving up - it's amazing what you uncover when you get out that door 6 days a week B) 

• Like 1

I dont have any running back ground, I played goal keeper for soccer as a teen because i couldn't be bothered running, then i raced go karts for a couple of years, then i ate junk food and drank copious amounts of beer.  I started running maybe middle of 2015.  i still have no idea about it, but i run 4 times a week currently.

I also have no swimming history, I tried for 50m in 2015 and got out at 25m absolutely buggered.  but i swim 3-4 times a week now

I have no riding history up until 2015 also, my mountain bike got stolen in 1998 and i didn't worry about getting another one until December 2015 (Road bike).  but i ride approx 3 times a week now.

Im building my own program and after reading everyone's posts and other research I hope to find what "works for me at the moment" I guess ill find out in Vietnam but will happily adjust as i feel i need to.

To those that have sent PM's, thanks so much and to all the comments above, ive read them plenty,  I have a lot to learn....turning up each day committed is the first step i guess.

1 hour ago, AP said:

He probably doesn't have the running background to run 5-6 times a week - I'd ask for video of his swimming and running - then I'd get him to do some test workouts to see what he's short of immediately (power - strength - endurance - ticker) half of all performance issues are between the ears - whether it's lack of self belief - lack of commitment - plain old "too soft a spring on his relief valve" - all these issues can be overcome by gradually giving him "confidence building experiences" - to go through these confidence building experiences you have to believe in the coach and believe in the plan - a lot of this comes from communication 

Maybe the 3 - 3 - 3 program is what he needs - but the pieces that make up the 3 x 3 all need to be specific to his needs - there are a lot of guys out there who just need to forget their excuses and get out the door for 9 sessions a week - and do it week in - week out for a few months without giving up - it's amazing what you uncover when you get out that door 6 days a week B) 

Cool thanks for the response AP :)

That wasn't a loaded question BTW, just curious!

Edited by zed