Sign in to follow this  
yoyo

Are there races anymore ?

Hello,

i have been out of the game for a while now, but just needed to check in and see if there has been something huge that I have missed.

Do people actually do organised races anymore? 

Reason I ask is, an acquaintance of mine has sent me a picture of their Garmin, claiming a 2:57 marathon.  I congratulated them and asked what race it was in and they then proceeded to tell me that it wasn't in a race, they ran it themselves, garmins are accurate therefore it's the same because "42k is 42k..." 🤔

What have I missed ? 

You've missed nothing... he showed you something on his Garmin which means nothing! Now if he showed it to you on his Strava account, that would be a different story. Cause, you know, if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

You should have congratulated him. It was probably a Boston Qualifier.

Maybe when he applies to run Boston he'll discover that 42 km isn't necessarily a marathon.

I assume he did run the additional 195 metres. And of course he factored on the short course prevention factor of 1.001 for another 42 metres. :P

You've got a big mouth Yo-Yo - I suppose I won't qualify for Boston with my Garmin selfie now :wallbash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, monkie said:

This just seems like the most pointless thing in the world... races are FUN!

I think the selfie at the end of each workout would out rank this as more pointless B)

17 minutes ago, AP said:

I think the selfie at the end of each workout would out rank this as more pointless B)

And we end the year agreeing on something. 

Mind you stopping mid run for a selfie might be worse. 

Using anything more than a Heart rate monitor when running is just being a slave to the " wank factor " in our sport. If it appears on strava, you know it's bullshit.

28 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Using anything more than a Heart rate monitor when running is just being a slave to the " wank factor " in our sport. If it appears on strava, you know it's bullshit.

bah...heart rate monitors! If you wear a watch you're a wanker.

Measure your run by the movement of the sun and stars.

Shoes are optional too.

25 minutes ago, Tryline said:

Was it said with a “#” in front of it with a picture of their shoes or something!?!?

No, but a cute yoga pose in very tight lycra.

12 hours ago, yoyo said:

Reason I ask is, an acquaintance of mine has sent me a picture of their Garmin, claiming a 2:57 marathon.  I congratulated them and asked what race it was in and they then proceeded to tell me that it wasn't in a race, they ran it themselves, garmins are accurate therefore it's the same because "42k is 42k..." 🤔

Was he wearing active wear and carrying a protein shake. Was this meeting in the School drop off zone?

3 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Was he wearing active wear and carrying a protein shake. Was this meeting in the School drop off zone?

so he was a triathlete, compression socks too I suspect.

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No, but a cute yoga pose in very tight lycra.

Don't forget on tippy toes.

Check the photos.  They are always on tippy toes.

54 minutes ago, Peter said:

Don't forget on tippy toes.

Check the photos.  They are always on tippy toes.

And looking for the $2 coin on the ground.

As I keep telling the guy at my local coffee shop, running the distance one day is fine, but the challenge is running it on THE day. 

There was talk that this was one of the issues leading to lower numbers in MTB racing these days. 

8 hours ago, roxii said:

There was talk that this was one of the issues leading to lower numbers in MTB racing these days. 

I heard the races were too cheap, so people didn't think the races were special enough to enter, bit like a club triathlon....lol