Mjainoz

Vale Rory O'Donoghue. Aka Thin Arthur - Aunty Jack Show

Sorry to inform you that Rory of Thin Arthur fame in Aunty Jack (and much more in between being a good AG (68) Warringah tri club member) has passed away. I don’t have any details as yet beyond he was in hospital. He was active on Facebook a few days back with a lovely photo holding his Grandaigher. Ran a 5 k pb a few months back. I assume a few old dudes here would remember him or raced with him in recent years). 

Edited by Mjainoz
Added Aunty Jack

Oh no! That’s terrible news.

Had a few quick chats with him as have a few mutual friends. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy and an involved club member. 

Thoughts are with the Warringah crew and his friends and family. 

• Thanks 1

Only met him the day that you introduced him at the Aus Champs race down at Wollongong.

These things tend to make us realise our own mortality.  It sounds like Rory had a full and interesting life, and hopefully it was also a very enjoyable one.  Thoughts are with all who were close to him.

• Thanks 1

I saw his name in results from time to time and always wondered  whether it was the same person.

Very sad.

A tribute:-

• Thanks 2

He and I had to exchange trophies after Ballarat 70.3 a few years ago as they had mixed them up at presentation.  Being of his vintage, I was very much a fan of his role in The Aunty Jack Show.  I noticed that he had entered the recent WS 70.3 but did not attend.  Very sad for him to decline so quickly with such an apparently healthy body.

Never met him but watched him on the telly in Aunty Jack show. Funny bugger. RIP Thin Arthur.

I thought a bit about posting this...  but given what his daughter has bravely shared, and when we look a the mental health issues shared here...  this what happened.  below...
So bloody sad....  as it always is...

“Many of you are asking what happened and how Dad died. We feel it’s important to share that Dad had suffered from severe depression and mental illness for many many years. He sadly took his own life while being treated in hospital. Dad had a long battle with his demons and despite his amazing life, talent and success, he was not able to overcome the illness that plagued him. We hope that by sharing this we can bring more awareness to the serious issue of mental illness and that we can support those in need. If only Dad could have read all your lovely words and thoughts. He touched so many people with his light and talent. He was surrounded by so much love, it’s such a tragedy that his illness prevented him from feeling it. Your love and best wishes are deeply felt by all the family and very much appreciated.

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

8 hours ago, Ted said:

I was a huge fan of Aunty Jack and one of my favourite songs from the show was a Thin Arthur song where he was sitting on a park bench and drank some maple syrup and tree roots started growing out of his feet.

A passer by asks him how he feels and he replies "I feel rooted"

Passer by says " you look fine"

i feel rooted all the time , really rooted , really really rooted 

and so it goes on in the nonsense style of the show, trust me it is a great song.

Anyway when Rory did his first Ironman at Port there was some mention of him in the local paper , I was pretty excited and thought how good would it be to meet Thin Arthur.

In the dark on the run course I found myself beside him ,and I thought this is my big chance. So I said G'day Rory, ask me how I feel.

He said how do you feel ?

I said " I feel rooted"

He said you look fine, then together we sang the whole song.

We spent the next couple of Km's chatting about Aunty Jack.

Still right up there as one of my favourite memories of Ironman.

The Black Dog is a terrible thing and it strikes where we least expect it, we all need to keep a good eye on our mates. A year ago we lost a club member and it bites very hard.

RIP Rory

Great memory to have Ted, pity there s no chance to make more with Rory. 

What a great memory to have, seriously put a smile on my face.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2017 at 11:17 PM, Ted said:

I was a huge fan of Aunty Jack and one of my favourite songs from the show was a Thin Arthur song where he was sitting on a park bench and drank some maple syrup and tree roots started growing out of his feet.

and so it goes on in the nonsense style of the show, trust me it is a great song.

Anyway when Rory did his first Ironman at Port there was some mention of him in the local paper , I was pretty excited and thought how good would it be to meet Thin Arthur.

In the dark on the run course I found myself beside him ,and I thought this is my big chance. So I said G'day Rory, ask me how I feel.

I said " I feel rooted"

He said you look fine, then together we sang the whole song.

We spent the next couple of Km's chatting about Aunty Jack.

Still right up there as one of my favourite memories of Ironman.

The Black Dog is a terrible thing and it strikes where we least expect it, we all need to keep a good eye on our mates. A year ago we lost a club member and it bites very hard.

RIP Rory

That is a great story.  I hope you dont mind, I will share it on the Warringah Tri Club site.  I am sure many will get a laugh.
A few of us are going to a memorial / service for him tomorrow at Riverside theatre parramatta.  He had a one man show out there a few years back.

• Like 1

He was an amazingly talented man, I did a search on You Tube and just spent the past couple of hours enjoying some of his music and watching some of his 'one man shows'.  Wow, so much talent.  Even though it is obviously such a tough time for his friends and family it must be really comforting to know his legacy will live on.  I will be listening to some more of his stuff, not just because he's passed away, but also because I like it.

• Like 1

Always sad to hear such stories. As a kid I had memorised the Aunty Jack album along with my now deceased cousin Dante and we'd replay it over an over gaining so much childhood enjoyment from it all, much of which was Rory's Work.

The songs were so fun. Always takes me back to special childhood memories of time spent with my dear cousin.

Rory - you brought joy to so many - may you rest in peace.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2017 at 11:17 PM, Ted said:

I said " I feel rooted"

Ted. I shared the story. Many people loving it. Rory’s wife said. 

“What a lovely memory Michael. Thank you for sharing”

The most amazing 2 hour long tribute today to an enormously talented man. 

What a shame that a light can burn so bright that all can bask in it, but within there is just dark.

Farewell.