Chuckie M

The Last Jedi

I saw the Last Jedi at midnight screening and again this morning at 9.30 am. (life long fan) :D I liked it. What are your thoughts?. Don't want to spoil it for the uninitiated :huh:

Life long fan too, I'll get there at some stage!

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

Never a fan .... think it's best covered off by this .... 

I think it's probably going to be the same as the previous 36!

Saw it last night. I need to see it again (and again!) to make an informed decision but based on one viewing I think;

- there seemed to be a few too many cheap, corny jokes that, while funny, weren't required and weren't a fixture of previous instalments.

- there seemed to be too many sub-plots going on. Additionally, these sub-plots didn't really have any relevance to the main story line. Again, confusing and not really required.

- the introduction of several new characters in this instalment seems superfluous when there is only one more movie to go. 

3 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

when there is only one more movie to go.

Do you really think so?

And think of all the extra toys they can sell.

I stopped watching after the 3rd one.... Empire strikes back..... I was young back then......... now....I just don't get it!!

I thought it was freaking awesome and I’m no Star Wars fan. 

• Like 1

Not normally a big fan either, usually too schmaltzy and/or silly for me but, even while sticking faithfully to its genre, this is a great flick.

Yep, I'm not gonna get there till next weekend!

On 16 December 2017 at 10:49 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do you really think so?

And think of all the extra toys they can sell.

While I'm sure there will be numerous spin-offs in a similar ilk of last years, "Rogue One", there should only be one more official film in the 'series'. Of course, Disney now own all the rights so I guess they can do what they want. However, based on this movie, they are getting away from what made the originals great and they also risk diluting the brand. I assume that was part of the reason for all of the meaningless sub-plots in this movie and the introduction of new characters with no relevance to the series storyline - so that they can spawn other spin-off movies.

They've said the will only be the one more "official" star Wars movie, ep9.

But we have the Han movie coming out next year, and the Boba Fett one may be back on the cards for after ep9. And Disney have announced another trilogy will be made, but based on a different part of the galaxy with no relationship to these.

Money train departing, platform 1

Given the money Disney are spending at Disneyland for their star wars park, I'd expect a shitload more movies to come.

They have already made back the 4 billion they bought star wars for from Lucas Films.  

They are 

money.jpg

>2009: Disney buys Marvel 
>2012: Disney buys Lucasfilms
>2017: Disney buys 21st Century Fox
>2019: Disney buys Paramount Pictures
>2022: Disney buys Universal Studios
>2027: Disney attempts to buy Warner Bros, Warner Bros tells them to **** off
>2028: Disney, being highly pissed off, acquires their own private military
>2029: Disney storms headquarters of Warner Bros, killing many, and taking the company by force 
>2032: Disney buys nukes from black market terrorists
>2034: Disney buys Microsoft
>2036: Disney declares war against the entertainment industry
>2037: Skirmishes between private militaries occur in Hollywood and other places around the country
>2038: Disney nukes Hollywood
>2044: Disney buys the United States of America
>2045: Disney reorganizes the American government into a totalitarian dictatorship, deemed "The People's Republic of Disney" 
>2047: People's Republic of Disney moves to annex Mexico and Canada with the military might of Mickey Mouse
>2051: PRD buys celestial bodies such as the moon and Mars
>2056: PRD colonizes Mars
>2059: PRD colonizes rest of the solar system
>2064: PRD starts construction of Dyson Sphere in the Sol System 
>2075: PRD scientists discover a form of FTL space travel
>2078: First PRD voyage to Alpha Centauri system is successfully completed 
>2079: PRD successfully establishes a one world government
>2080: PRD sends millions of military warships out throughout the galaxy, conquering extraterrestrial life on every planet and solar system
>2092: Dyson Sphere in Sol System is complete 
>2100: PRD reaches type 3 civilization status, creating a Galactic Dictatorship under the people of Disney
>2104: Marvel and X-Men fans are still excited about new movies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are the gonna be more X-Men and Marvel movies! Awesome..... (that's all I took away from all that)

On 19/12/2017 at 3:30 PM, Peter said:

>2009: Disney buys Marvel 
>2012: Disney buys Lucasfilms
>2017: Disney buys 21st Century Fox
>2019: Disney buys Paramount Pictures
>2022: Disney buys Universal Studios
>2027: Disney attempts to buy Warner Bros, Warner Bros tells them to **** off
>2028: Disney, being highly pissed off, acquires their own private military
>2029: Disney storms headquarters of Warner Bros, killing many, and taking the company by force 
>2032: Disney buys nukes from black market terrorists
>2034: Disney buys Microsoft
>2036: Disney declares war against the entertainment industry
>2037: Skirmishes between private militaries occur in Hollywood and other places around the country
>2038: Disney nukes Hollywood
>2044: Disney buys the United States of America
>2045: Disney reorganizes the American government into a totalitarian dictatorship, deemed "The People's Republic of Disney" 
>2047: People's Republic of Disney moves to annex Mexico and Canada with the military might of Mickey Mouse
>2051: PRD buys celestial bodies such as the moon and Mars
>2056: PRD colonizes Mars
>2059: PRD colonizes rest of the solar system
>2064: PRD starts construction of Dyson Sphere in the Sol System 
>2075: PRD scientists discover a form of FTL space travel
>2078: First PRD voyage to Alpha Centauri system is successfully completed 
>2079: PRD successfully establishes a one world government
>2080: PRD sends millions of military warships out throughout the galaxy, conquering extraterrestrial life on every planet and solar system
>2092: Dyson Sphere in Sol System is complete 
>2100: PRD reaches type 3 civilization status, creating a Galactic Dictatorship under the people of Disney
>2104: Marvel and X-Men fans are still excited about new movies

As the Dark Side rises, so the Light to meet it!

You forget:

>2046: 110 year old Jedi Knight Obi-Bernie-One-Sanders joins forces with JK Rowling and Silicon Valley refugee Jonathon Ives to form ‘The Tech Resistence’ Rebellion. Together they invent “Goodness through MagicalThinking”, aka TheBern

>2048: Mickey Mouse is feel’n TheBern and Disney begins to fall apart. Spontaneously.

>2050: Everybody is living on the Universal Basic Income, high on TheBern (which turns out to be an uber narcotic of pure happiness) happily watching reruns of StarTrek (original series), TJ Hooker and M*A*S*H ...

The end. 

it was okay. more of the same. too many fight scenes I thought. 

it also seems to have been written to satisfy the diversity freaks. we now have a lead character being a woman, we have a Blackman who was 'white' once and now we have an asian. only a matter of time before we have a character with a disability, a muslim and a transgender. And for those on the twitter sphere suggesting Luke is gay, he is just neat and prefers comfortable clothing...

I thought ST was spose to be ahead of its time back in the day, though looking at it today it may not be seen as such.  But a major african american character who shared a kiss with the white male star, in the 60's.  Actually, the new series Discovery I think is getting some attacks regarding racism.

And thanks for the no spoilers - still gonna be a few days before I get a chance to see it!  So far I've only been caught with one!

4 hours ago, Parkside said:

Did you express racist and sexist tendencies about Star Trek in the 70's?

yes, if you read my comments from this forum in 1971, you will find I did.   

Star Trek started with these characters though. Star Wars is clearly introducing them to be "diverse'. I am also sure the stormtroopers belong to a militant union. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

watched it. thought it was going to be a remake of Empire. Pleasant surprise. Having only watched once, I'm going out on a limb and saying it's my favourite of the lot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, don't have to hide your spoilers from me now! Don't know who else hadn't seen it yet though.

Me and the fam enjoyed it. My wife and son think it's their favourite so far!  I loved it, but can't really say as yet where it sits in the order of love.  I have an affinity for them all!  I even loved Rogue One.  And can even watch EPs 1, 2 and 3.  I can't wait to see where the next one goes from here. I think it has the same director.

On 27/12/2017 at 11:52 PM, goughy said:

Ok, don't have to hide your spoilers from me now! Don't know who else hadn't seen it yet though.

Me and the fam enjoyed it. My wife and son think it's their favourite so far!  I loved it, but can't really say as yet where it sits in the order of love.  I have an affinity for them all!  I even loved Rogue One.  And can even watch EPs 1, 2 and 3.  I can't wait to see where the next one goes from here. I think it has the same director.

I loved the suicide mission fatalism of Rogue One as a counterpoint to the usual Star Wars whimsy. 

I need to see The Last Jedi again before I can rate it. However it is certainly about Eps 1, 2, 3 & 6 ...