RunBrettRun

Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

If she is a TA member of course she gets the points and the auto qualificiation cause she was 1st.  But it wont matter cause she cannot apply to be on the team if she isn't an australian citizen.  It doesn't say you have to win the national title just the race, which she did.  it just means whoever is in 26th place will get a spot.  But in my eyes TA have done nothing wrong like was originally said?

14 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

That’s where I’m sitting as well for OD with still 2 races to go.

Im ok for the SD 

So will you do both SD and OD in September, presuming you qualify for both? Sorry but I still struggle to see how people will give it 100% on the Thursday, knowing they are racing an OD 72 hours later. 

16 minutes ago, imyoungmatt said:

So will you do both SD and OD in September, presuming you qualify for both? Sorry but I still struggle to see how people will give it 100% on the Thursday, knowing they are racing an OD 72 hours later. 

is giving 100% compulsory?

• Like 1

I did the SD worlds in Mexico 2 years ago. And noticed that some of my peers (M50-54) did both SD and OD so out of curiosity looked at their results across the 2 races. Interestingly their placings in both races were generally very similar. So whilst you might expect that their OD performance 3 days later would have suffered it didn't seem to. In fact a couple even placed a little higher in the OD race.

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

is giving 100% compulsory?

By the rules, no, but the person who finished 26th, and intended to give it 100% may be p'ed off with people "just doing the rounds".

But IMHO, you shouldn't be putting on Green & Gold if you aren't going to be giving 100%.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

By the rules, no, but the person who finished 26th, and intended to give it 100% may be p'ed off with people "just doing the rounds".

But IMHO, you shouldn't be putting on Green & Gold if you aren't going to be giving 100%.

Qantas Wallabies are you listening....? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, A2K said:

I did the SD worlds in Mexico 2 years ago. And noticed that some of my peers (M50-54) did both SD and OD so out of curiosity looked at their results across the 2 races. Interestingly their placings in both races were generally very similar. So whilst you might expect that their OD performance 3 days later would have suffered it didn't seem to. In fact a couple even placed a little higher in the OD race.

So they bludged during the SD?

31 minutes ago, imyoungmatt said:

If you are that upset about it suggest to TA that they dont allow it... point out that they will make more money if people pay for individual events rather than the 2 for 1 'special' price plus they'll sell twice as many uniforms etc... You need to speak their language ($)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, imyoungmatt said:

I'm not doing both as I don't like sprints, but I reckon I could back up after a sprint for an OD 3 days later. Not the other way around though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imyoungmatt said:

Obviously I can't say for sure you'd have to ask them but I highly doubt it. The SD is only a little over an hour long so I don't see why it's not possibly to go flat stick in a SD then recover for 3 days then go hard again in an OD.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, A2K said:

Obviously I can't say for sure you'd have to ask them but I highly doubt it. The SD is only a little over an hour long so I don't see why it's not possibly to go flat stick in a SD then recover for 3 days then go hard again in an OD.

For the younger AGs yes, but not many 50 years olds will.

• Like 1

Been in the NZ wilderness for 5 days so just catching up, interesting reading.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

For the younger AGs yes, but not many 50 years olds will.

Not necessarily Ex.  I find I've got much more endurance now that I'm a bit older.

I probably don't recover quite as well as I used to, but I've never found that a Sprint Triathlon would ever stop me from doing an OD 3 days later.  I don't think it would even worry me doing the OD the next day.  When I was racing a lot I'd often do a very fast flat 5 or 6k run the day before just to get the cobwebs out and the heart pumping...  but maybe that's just me.

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Not necessarily Ex.  I find I've got much more endurance now that I'm a bit older.

I probably don't recover quite as well as I used to, but I've never found that a Sprint Triathlon would ever stop me from doing an OD 3 days later.  I don't think it would even worry me doing the OD the next day.  When I was racing a lot I'd often do a very fast flat 5 or 6k run the day before just to get the cobwebs out and the heart pumping...  but maybe that's just me.

But you're one of the "not many". :)

Most in the top 10 of the rankings would probably do fine, but it's those last 10 that are going to find it a bit more difficult. 

The last duathlon I did was sprint (5/20/5) and I went balls out in that one, could not have gone any harder and I felt that a week later. Probably could have done an OD 3 days later but no way I could have smashed it.

Kudos to anyone that can!

26 minutes ago, FatPom said:

The last duathlon I did was sprint (5/20/5) and I went balls out in that one, could not have gone any harder and I felt that a week later. Probably could have done an OD 3 days later but no way I could have smashed it.

Kudos to anyone that can!

Is that 10k of running though?

Is this thread still going ?

Now, not trying to be a smart arse or take any thing from those who have this as a goal, but in the past...has anyone actually won any of these  ITU Worlds you talk about for 21 pages?

1 hour ago, softy said:

Now, not trying to be a smart arse or take any thing from those who have this as a goal, but in the past...has anyone actually won any of these  ITU Worlds you talk about for 21 pages?

Lots of different people win each year. But life isnt about winning anymore is it? 😉

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

eh?

In your sprint duathlon was the total distance you ran 10km? 

2 hours ago, softy said:

So you're saying don' enter or attempt to qualify for something you won't win?

Not being a smart ass just trying to understand where you're coming from.

3 hours ago, softy said:

I'm not going to Worlds this year as one of my son's is getting married the following week and I reckon I'd get divorced if I cleared off for a triathlon the week before.  But I think it's fantastic that there is so much interest in it here on Trannies.  I don't remember anywhere near this much interest in Age Group Worlds on this site before.

And as far as it being easy to qualify in certain age groups, or not giving it 100% if you do qualify, well that's just the way it is...  It will never be perfect for everyone, but I think it's fantastic that so many people get to experience it.

For the record, yes Coach@ has won at Age Group Worlds - several times!

(Edit - I was in the same race when he won 3 of them!)

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, A2K said:

In your sprint duathlon was the total distance you ran 10km? 

ah gotcha, yes 10km in total.

8 hours ago, A2K said:

Is that 10k of running though?

My thoughts exactly. You can recover from a 5K run race within a day, but a 10K is a different story...

The swim is negligible and 20K bike shouldn't add too much to the 5K run

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

I'm not going to Worlds this year as one of my son's is getting married the following week and I reckon I'd get divorced if I cleared off for a triathlon the week before.  But I think it's fantastic that there is so much interest in it here on Trannies.  I don't remember anywhere near this much interest in Age Group Worlds on this site before.

And as far as it being easy to qualify in certain age groups, or not giving it 100% if you do qualify, well that's just the way it is...  It will never be perfect for everyone, but I think it's fantastic that so many people get to experience it.

For the record, yes Coach@ has won at Age Group Worlds - several times!

(Edit - I was in the same race when he won 3 of them!)

I think the interest is more than ever because this site has moved from being members that do ironmans yearly to members that now race shorter and much less ironman. 

Mainly due to time to train for ironmans and the cost for ironmans. 

I think if you did a poll you wouldn't even see that 50% have done an ironman in the last 3 years. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

My thoughts exactly. You can recover from a 5K run race within a day, but a 10K is a different story...

The swim is negligible and 20K bike shouldn't add too much to the 5K run

You've seen me swim, right? :lol:

So for all the Olympics and comm games etc, where swimmers etc back up multiple distances, sometimes even  in multiple strokes, and they refer to the timing of their events and ability, or not, to recover and give 100%.......one event only each from now on? 

4 minutes ago, Turts said:

So for all the Olympics and comm games etc, where swimmers etc back up multiple distances, sometimes even  in multiple strokes, and they refer to the timing of their events and ability, or not, to recover and give 100%.......one event only each from now on? 

Yeah don't tell Michael Phelps he cant swim more than one event well.... 

8 minutes ago, Turts said:

How many are over 50, and train under 10 hours a week. They're the ones we're talking about.

I'm over 50 and a good week sees me doing about 10 hours a week.  I will be racing both sprint and OD and do not intend to leave anything on the table in either event.  Wont be anywhere near the podium but I intend to enjoy every single centimetre (well maybe not so much the swimming :lol:)  I have a pretty solid base fitness and the only time I've felt the after affects of a sprint race is if it's been filthy hot & humid. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Go Easy said:

I'm not going to Worlds this year as one of my son's is getting married the following week and I reckon I'd get divorced if I cleared off for a triathlon the week before. 

Hmmmm. Priorities? 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Yeah don't tell Michael Phelps he cant swim more than one event well.... 

Don’t think his events go for 60mins & then 2hours plus!! 

1 minute ago, imyoungmatt said:

Don’t think his events go for 60mins & then 2hours plus!! 

so you're saying you couldn't back up or no one can back up?

I raced 2 OD races two sundays in a row and feel like I raced the second one better than the first.  3 days...yeah I cant see anyone under performing in the longer race as long as it's second.

19 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I raced 2 OD races two sundays in a row and feel like I raced the second one better than the first.  3 days...yeah I cant see anyone under performing in the longer race as long as it's second.

People do 70.3 races 4 in a row in the USA and their times usually get faster.

And then Ironman in AUS and NZ used to be 3 weeks apart.  

I've seen people race sprint tris back to back for months in Vic.  They just love to race.

27 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Nah mate not at all, people do 50 Ironmans in 50 days right. 

• Haha 1

So cos I had a few spare minutes here's a comparison of the athletes in M50-54 at Cozumel a couple of years ago. SD placing versus OD placing. A few have faded badly in the OD, one went from 5th to first and a couple gained or lost 1 or 2 places.

SDOD.jpg.253d4b37bf168b26a32362f6af87959c.jpg

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

You must have "bludged'  the first one...

3 minutes ago, imyoungmatt said:

Nah mate not at all, people do 50 Ironmans in 50 days right. 

So what are you saying?  Are you on verge of qualifying but might miss out if people double up?  Interested in your angle..

3 minutes ago, pieman said:

So what are you saying?  Are you on verge of qualifying but might miss out if people double up?  Interested in your angle..

Nice pick up, but lets face it they will probably be quicker over two races than I would be over one. 

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I did too. Raced much better in the second one.

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How many are over 50, and train under 10 hours a week. They're the ones we're talking about.

So are you going to analyse the times of the person that came 26th and only wants to do the OD against the person that beat them, but wants to do both? How will you calculate anticipated slowdown from fatigue to determine whether 26 is a better chance than 25th?  Or is it just about giving everyone a shot at one thing.

I'm not analysing anything. I'm not trying to qualify.

I'm just saying that as you get older, it takes longer to recover from a race over an hour long where you have given absolutely everything, than it does for a young person who trains 4 hours a day to recover from a 10 second to 15 minute effort.

2 hours ago, A2K said:

So cos I had a few spare minutes here's a comparison of the athletes in M50-54 at Cozumel a couple of years ago. SD placing versus OD placing. A few have faded badly in the OD, one went from 5th to first and a couple gained or lost 1 or 2 places...

Good work, that's an interesting comparison, although you still can't really tell if the intention was to race both races flat out or just use the Sprint event as a warm up etc.

From experiences (and without trying to offend anyone) in the past when they were both non-drafting events and you could only chose to do one of them at the World Champs, I found the Olympic Distance to be a fair bit more competitive than the Sprint Distance event.  Once again, it's just my experience but there was a big difference.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter said:

I think the interest is more than ever because this site has moved from being members that do ironmans yearly to members that now race shorter and much less ironman...

Yep, you're probably spot on.

I've done a few Ironman events (five in the past 23 years) and although I love racing Ultra endurance stuff my heart is still with the grass roots and shorter events.  I have way more interest in seeing people just out enjoying themselves than what I do following the elites - although it's especially great when the elites seem to be having a good time as well.

Kona's great, but so are ITU Worlds :thumbsup:.

33 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Good work, that's an interesting comparison, although you still can't really tell if the intention was to race both races flat out or just use the Sprint event as a warm up etc.

From experiences (and without trying to offend anyone) in the past when they were both non-drafting events and you could only chose to do one of them at the World Champs, I found the Olympic Distance to be a fair bit more competitive than the Sprint Distance event.  Once again, it's just my experience but there was a big difference.

I should have added that the SD at Cozumel was draft legal.  So maybe for some at least they might have been able to save their legs a bit on the bike. 

Re SD versus OD qualifying depth, at least in my age group, Mooloolaba was a way bigger and deeper field than Luke Harrop.

7 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I'm over 50 and a good week sees me doing about 10 hours a week.  I will be racing both sprint and OD and do not intend to leave anything on the table in either event.  Wont be anywhere near the podium but I intend to enjoy every single centimetre (well maybe not so much the swimming :lol:)  I have a pretty solid base fitness and the only time I've felt the after affects of a sprint race is if it's been filthy hot & humid. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. My analogy was more around whether I personally could do it and have two optimal performances, which I don't think I could. I'd give it a crack though :)

I know it's not the same, but in 2009 I did both the aquathlon and OD on the Gold Coast.  The aquathlon was only going to be a warm up for the triathlon, but I found myself in 2nd place going into the second run so decided to go for it.  I felt the effects in the OD a few days later and finished 8th - but at least I have a silver medal, whereas if I'd saved my legs for the second race I might have ended up 5th (or something) in both races and got nothing.

22 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

So you're saying don' enter or attempt to qualify for something you won't win?

Not being a smart ass just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Not necessarily. World Championships are....well, the World Championships as the name says. I would expect that there would be a good bunch of people who are seeking to qualify a. as the course suits them b. they know they will have the time to be well prepared and c. as they think they will be competitive and have a chance of podium or at least top 5 in their AG.

I'm sure people aren't going to put the time and the money in, just so they can finish 33rd in their AG and be a few grand worse off. I know I'd be disappointed if I finished even more than 10 minutes behind the AG winner in the OD. I'm sure you are looking at placing very high in your AG RBR.

Edited by softy

25 minutes ago, softy said:

...c. as they think they will be competitive and have a chance of podium or at least top 5 in their AG...

Right, so you are saying there is no point in entering a race if you don't think you'll place in the top 5?

I certainly wont be placing top 5 on the Gold Coast, but I'm still planning on going.  Even the pros on the ITU circuit compete when they know they have no chance of a top 5 (barring a Bradbury moment)