RunBrettRun

Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

7 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Sorry mate.  Have you got any groundsto appeal?

¬†Insanity perhaps! ūüėā

The rules are rules I stuffed up. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Course maps. ... but the 1.5km swim is missing? ??

Screenshot_2018-04-12-15-42-28.png

Screenshot_2018-04-12-15-43-18.png

Screenshot_2018-04-12-15-43-42.png

They know already it's gonna be a Duathlon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A2K said:

What about the mysterious Racer P, did they get in?

Tells me they are in & against all odds.

They being plantar fasciitis, shingles , over estimation of ability and poor race selection ( based on low intellect).

Also turns out 1 or 2 ahead of them where not in contention...hardly deserves a slot uh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Freak said:

1281 on the aussie team. That's a bloody joke, it's the world champs not a participation race.  Triathlon has gone soft.  I guess everyone will go home with a medal....

that would be for all of the events at TWC: OD, Sprint, (para?)....

ie There were 724 applications for the OD team (including those who missed out and those listed as reserves) with 526 being successfull for the OD (Standard Distance) team (sprint does not interest me so much) - probably more thought about it but I suspect many waited untill April 1 to put up their $75 depending on if the numbers were adding up.

In my category (M 50 - 54), for instance, 120 peolpe received points in the selection races with 46 doing multiple events (29 doing 3 +, 12 doing 4+, and 2 doing 5+ events). This with 25 selected (three of these only did two races, eg place top three at mool and anothert event basically seals the deal) plus another 5  nominated as reserves. I'd suggest pretty similar across the bulk of the categories as per normail entry deistributions across the A/Gs.

TWC is an event like no other, basically there is nobody there to: see if they can go the distance, have a good time, keep their mates company, won a spot in a lottery etc. In the main they have had to "perform on the day" at multiple events over a whole summer of racing. Everybody there will have spent months training for this event and will bring out their "A" game. 

Personally I am thrilled to be attending my 3rd TWC (each in a different decade, but all at the Gold Coast). 1991, 2009, 2018. relieved that my strategy paid off. In 2009 I peaked at the start of the selection series and went, 1st, 2nd, 5th or something - maintaining the light weight was a real strain and I kept getting injured, so this time I just planned to be at my "A" level in September '18 and trusted that the progesssive improvements along the way would see me make the list. So 10 months ago I was 88kg and running a 50+ 10k, now down to 80kg and running a 45 min 10 k, target for TWC in 21 weeks ks 74 kg and 40min. (Weight and run stats because this is my weakest leg.)

Good luck to every one who made the teams. 

Bring on September.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Cranky said:

No. She's doing 70.3

Madi?

19 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Nobody going for the opening ceremony and parade of nations?

I probably will as I'm racing sprint too

19 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Will see how it goes, having learnt from previous campaigns I believe it is best to be in your accom at least 3 nights before the event so as to give your mind time to adust to the surroundings - backed up by a sleep study I read that said one never fully relaxes the first night in a strange bed as the "primitive" mind stays on high alert for potential danger in new surroundings. So ATM looking at 7 nights, wed to wed - the early arrival for me, the late departure so as to have some quality couples time on the GC after the race (look after the sig other, something else I've learnt(slowly)).

23 minutes ago, trifun said:

Will see how it goes, having learnt from previous campaigns I believe it is best to be in your accom at least 3 nights before the event so as to give your mind time to adust to the surroundings - backed up by a sleep study I read that said one never fully relaxes the first night in a strange bed as the "primitive" mind stays on high alert for potential danger in new surroundings...

I read somewhere that a study was done on sleep prior to events and the most important night was 3 nights before the event...  could well be bullshit...

1 hour ago, trifun said:

Will see how it goes, having learnt from previous campaigns I believe it is best to be in your accom at least 3 nights before the event so as to give your mind time to adust to the surroundings - backed up by a sleep study I read that said one never fully relaxes the first night in a strange bed as the "primitive" mind stays on high alert for potential danger in new surroundings. So ATM looking at 7 nights, wed to wed - the early arrival for me, the late departure so as to have some quality couples time on the GC after the race (look after the sig other, something else I've learnt(slowly)).

Good we get paid Sporting Leave (hope that hasn't changed) 

I've already booked an AirBnB place on Marina Parade from Wed- Monday

I booked 4 weeks LSL for September at end of last year, now I can apply for a week of sporting leave and get one week of that LSL back without stuffing up the bosses workload management.

Might have to see if I can get some media accreditation and go up and visit the mother in law for a few days. :lol: 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, Freak said:

1281 on the aussie team. That's a bloody joke, it's the world champs not a participation race.  Triathlon has gone soft.  I guess everyone will go home with a medal....

So did you make the team, Freak?

On 4/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, Freak said:

It is age group racing. 

If you want only the fastest, be a pro. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turts said:

It is age group racing. 

If you want only the fastest, be a pro. 

OD team is 526

Sprint team is 590

There are some double appearances, so total could be as high as 1000 ( but if you are doing IM stats you don't include 70.5 in there), personally I think the ITU should raise a few more sponsorship $ and cap countries at 10 per AG (instead of using the AG race/s to bankroll the Pro event (in the cash budget and the numbers for the grant applications). That 1281 number (# fake news? ) looks like the total number of applications (and most did not spend the $75 until they knew they were pretty close to making it).

Remember there are a lot of AGs at the TWC where run splits required for a podium are under 35 min for 10km so and if you want to be the fastest (choose the right parents) then plan, commit and train. 

Draft legal, designed for TV armchair spectator, pro events aren't my thing.

Edited by trifun
emphasis

2 hours ago, -H- said:

So did you make the team, Freak?

Nope,  I haven't raced a Triathlon in 4 years and I've saved enough coin to buy a ferrari*

I have zero interest in rolling around to finish 50th, already got my medal.

*Almost.

Edited by Freak
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Freak said:

Nope,  I haven't raced a Triathlon in 4 years and I've saved enough coin to buy a ferrari*

*Almost.

We did it in 2009 when triathlon was hard, hey mate? 

• Haha 1

On 13/04/2018 at 11:58 AM, AA7 said:

Madi?

Yes

On 12/04/2018 at 3:52 PM, goughy said:

It'll be in the water, in case you're wondering!

Thank goodness.  Mind you, I have been training hard on my cycle swim lately

On 12/04/2018 at 4:27 PM, BogFrog said:

I will be.

After party? 

12 hours ago, Freak said:

*Almost.

So what did you expect with the race being in australia?  They are allowed to select 25 per age group which is the same every year isn't it?

Not having a go.  Serious question?

41 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

So what did you expect with the race being in australia?  They are allowed to select 25 per age group which is the same every year isn't it?  ...

Nup, normally 20. 25 allowed for Australia tjis year as we are the host country

Edited by BogFrog
Clarity