RunBrettRun

Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

OK I have done my analizing of the results and I am pretty confident I will end up on 67 points. 

4th at Robina  = 22

7th at Coffs = 19

13th at Mooloolaba = 26

Hopefully that is enough, I will be looking forward to this whole process being over and just worrying about my own race again that's for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cowboy said:

Athletes are only going to be allowed to race either sprint or standard, TA won't let anyone do both, it looks likely you will get a spot once everyone decides which race they want to do

Incorrect.

2 hours ago, imyoungmatt said:

Nah mate, straight from the TA website:

Athletes will be able to compete in both the age group sprint distance triathlon and age group standard distance triathlon events at the 2018 International Triathlon Union World Championships. 

I stand corrected

2 hours ago, cowboy said:

I stand corrected

I emailed them -TA - and you can do both - Sprint on the Thursday and OD on the Sunday

4 hours ago, Greyman said:

I gotta say that the Vicotr Harbour races were very well organised and run. Everything was low key and ran like clockwork. The swim is a good location and the transition area looks a little bit tight, but it all work well with the way the scheduled events. I think they would be screwed if another two hundred competitions entered. Great weekend and good race. 

That would have been a race to do -- only 14 in my AG that were TA members

With all the cancelled swims aquathon qualification will be at your local Parkrun next week ;)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Peter said:

What's the story for aquathon qualification? 

It isnt at the Gold Coast. Denmark.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, imyoungmatt said:

Standard distance $360USD, sprint $340USD or both $560USD

:blink:

I'm looking at about 63 I think. Changing age groups so nothing is for sure.

19 Robina

22 Coffs

22 Mba

16 hours ago, imyoungmatt said:

Bargain.  Seriously is that the cost.   

17 hours ago, imyoungmatt said:

Wow. Plus a rego fee? 8%?

"All registrations for the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Gold Coast must be made through the national federation of the participating counties. "

So there will be costs on top of that I'd say - to pay for team doctor, team mechanic, etc etc etc

Even the cheapskate in me would pay that to be part of a world's team.

Luckily for the cheapskate in me I'm shithouse!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

"All registrations for the 2018 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Gold Coast must be made through the national federation of the participating counties. "

So there will be costs on top of that I'd say - to pay for team doctor, team mechanic, etc etc etc

The most expensive race per K you can do! 

40 minutes ago, goughy said:

Even the cheapskate in me would pay that to be part of a world's team.

Luckily for the cheapskate in me I'm shithouse!

If money isn't an option, Go to the worlds in Lausanne next year.  We will be lucky to send 5 in each age group.  You could be the worst athlete in Australia and you'll get a start.  There will be people that have done the world champs for years that are slow that always go but can't this year because people are too fast.

I think the last time it was hard to qualify was when the ITU were in Hawaii and Kona was the week after.  

But 2019 is for you. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

If money isn't an option, Go to the worlds in Lausanne next year.  We will be lucky to send 5 in each age group.  You could be the worst athlete in Australia and you'll get a start.  There will be people that have done the world champs for years that are slow that always go but can't this year because people are too fast.

I think the last time it was hard to qualify was when the ITU were in Hawaii and Kona was the week after.  

But 2019 is for you. 

ITU TWC GC 2009 every man and his dog wanted to go to the Gold Coast

ITU TWC GC 1991 teams were only 6 per ag (only 3 for the non host countries) and some Pros would race a qualifying race or two A/G just to get WTC on their resume.

Lausanne if past years are anything to go by, should have a few more than the following year's WTC as there will be folks who got as fit s they could for this year but missed out so made that a target instead (but some will be just to broke after this summer). The following year (Edmonton 2020) should see the team thin right down as you suggest (plus it can be pretty cold in Canada ).

Last years itu sprint champs had next to no one. For example just random picking an age group. 3 men in the 30-34 from Australia. 

8 women in the 45-49. The more cashed up ag that can travel. 

Still far short of 25. 

Basically if you wanted to go you could. 

IMG_1386.PNG

IMG_1387.PNG

52 minutes ago, trifun said:

ITU TWC GC 2009 every man and his dog wanted to go to the Gold Coast

ITU TWC GC 1991 teams were only 6 per ag (only 3 for the non host countries) and some Pros would race a qualifying race or two A/G just to get WTC on their resume.

Lausanne if past years are anything to go by, should have a few more than the following year's WTC as there will be folks who got as fit s they could for this year but missed out so made that a target instead (but some will be just to broke after this summer). The following year (Edmonton 2020) should see the team thin right down as you suggest (plus it can be pretty cold in Canada ).

Edmonton 2020 will probably be a duathlon so if you can run but not swim that's perfect.

7 hours ago, Peter said:

But 2019 is for you. 

Lausanne you say! Take your wetsuit as the swim will be cold. Bike ride is a bit lumpy too.

This is where Jo King won her title (1997?) yeah couldn't be bothered looking it up.The only time she stayed with the front pack in the swim in her ITU career. 

Should have gone to SA, finish an od in 3 hours and get 11 points!

22 minutes ago, trifun said:

Should have gone to SA, finish an od in 3 hours and get 11 points!

You seem surprised?  (and a few others have expressed similar things). 

If you want to get to the Worlds, you do your research on the best races to do.  

Its easy to do a little resarch on entry numbers and times for all these events from previous years, and plan your qualifiers.

It aint rocket science. And it aint nothing new. 

Maybe some people like to play the matyr by standing on the sidelines saying they're beter than those racing in the green and gold because they failed to qualify at a bigger race?  WTF?