RunBrettRun

Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

Triathlon Australia have updated the Sprint Points for Luke Harrop with the final points released 12 March.

Im glad I made Luke Harrop my 3rd race with double points — I’ve just noticed some in my AG have done 5 qualifying races.

Just did 2k in the pool it's the first time I have moved at all since sundays race at coffs, had the flu.  Not a good week for it!

18 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Just did 2k in the pool it's the first time I have moved at all since sundays race at coffs, had the flu.  Not a good week for it!

Man flu? So really just a sniffle?

Fresh legs for Sunday.

42 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Man flu? So really just a sniffle?

Fresh legs for Sunday.

definitely not man flu, if it was I wouldnt be racing.

Just swam 2k straight which I havent done for years and im feeling much better for it.  Just gotta wake the legs up now.

16 hours ago, Limited said:

Doesn’t matter how many races. Only takes the best 3 results 

Not so, if a count back is required for the more competitive age groups, it's rare, but has happened once that I know of, if the last 3 to 5 qualifiers are equal on points then the TA selection committee have the right to award an additional point for each qualifier race an athlete has competed in. This usually provides some separation in the results to decide the final qualifiers.

Greyman there are more criteria to making that decision and the way I read it is not that simple.

15 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Not so, if a count back is required for the more competitive age groups, it's rare, but has happened once that I know of, if the last 3 to 5 qualifiers are equal on points then the TA selection committee have the right to award an additional point for each qualifier race an athlete has competed in. This usually provides some separation in the results to decide the final qualifiers.

I thought i read they compare the best result achieved in any race. I dont really know, that could be totally wrong.

There is a bit of grey there.  Either preference given to the athlete who completed the most races, OR the athlete most likely to do well. So even if you have five races and are sort of average, they will or may give the race to the athlete who has only maybe done 1 race, maybe championship race and placed highly.  TA decision is final.

If 25th place is held by 3 people, the person who did more qualification races will rank higher than the person who had the best placing, who will rank higher than the person who was last on the national team, who will rank higher than the person TA deem will perform better on the day. 

• Like 1

I once explained a selection policy carefully to an athlete (ie along the lines of "policy says if you win national champs you're automatically selected as long as you are a member and meet the residency requirements" etc), next thing  I knew I was "asked" to exit the national selection committee for telling someone they were on a team before it was officially announced.

who needs the grief.....

Someone said you have to wear an itu legal suit (zip at the back). True?

2 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Just wear your suit backwards.

Not true. Well maybe it is technically, but they wont be enforcing that rule.

24 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Was that someone working at the Scody stand..? (Where they were selling such suits...)

😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

This is the same sort of stuff that was going round at robina.  If you race under itu conditions then yes but it was made clear by TA that all the qualifying races will be raced under TA rules and not Itu so you can wear a speed suit and also a suit with a zip on the front.

I'll be wearing my tri suit with the zip at the front and unzipped on the run just enough to show a hint of nipple.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, pieman said:

Was that someone working at the Scody stand..? (Where they were selling such suits...)

😁

Lol. No. A friend's hubby.

2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

This is the same sort of stuff that was going round at robina.  If you race under itu conditions then yes but it was made clear by TA that all the qualifying races will be raced under TA rules and not Itu so you can wear a speed suit and also a suit with a zip on the front.

Thanks. 

Managed 7th in 3034 today.  Pretty stoked with how I executed and very happy with the run split.  Unfortunately it will mean only a couple of points as the time was not competitive at all against the earlier wave.

Well done to everyone out there smashing through the conditions!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Managed 7th in 3034 today.  Pretty stoked with how I executed and very happy with the run split.  Unfortunately it will mean only a couple of points as the time was not competitive at all against the earlier wave.

Well done to everyone out there smashing through the conditions!

2.06? Wow I'd have to do a Robson to do that.. good effort..

Do you think the conditions were a factor?  Serious question as i didn't take much notice of if it got windier/hotter as time went on.. was pretty changeable during my race though but crap all round..

Some impressive times 

Edited by Peter

4th again for me, but 1st place is Canadian and 3rd is aging up. Haven't looked at the age group below yet but should get some decent points 

• Like 4

On 01/03/2018 at 5:45 PM, FatPom said:

And somebody in the main states with a couple of kids has the same kind of restriction with the added restriction of time.    You could argue that having kids is a choice and I'd counter that with saying that where you live is a choice also. Having a higher income doesn't automatically translate to a world of choices. Ask yourself why their income is higher, then look at the outgoings. Things are rarely this black and white.

Everyone does the best with the hand they are dealt. I wanted to do Haute Route Rockies this, guess what, I can't afford the justification but don't wish anyone that can go anything but a good time.

Good luck to all who are trying to qualify. :)

And without wanting to generalise.... higher income often means tougher work schedule. Like you say FP, not black and white!

• Like 2

Did what I needed to do, with what looks like a 5th in the qualifying age group. At least 3-4 of us in the top 10 in the M35-39 are aging up. 

I have now got 6 months to get my run together. 

2:17:38 & 11th pending the “age ups”....

so  prob not good enough after my last two blow outs but not so bad as to force a resignation, guess I’ll have to try for one more race......(and make that a good un)

or resign from the process, finish the masters, and have another track in 2 seasons time  (no study, and I’ll age-up :)  ), but was really hoping to do a 3rd GC WTC .

2 hours ago, pieman said:

2.06? Wow I'd have to do a Robson to do that.. good effort..

Do you think the conditions were a factor?  Serious question as i didn't take much notice of if it got windier/hotter as time went on.. was pretty changeable during my race though but crap all round..

Yes definitely