RunBrettRun

Who's trying to qualify for itu worlds?

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

I love you forever for saying that .... but one of my friends said she did the maths and that you need to get top 19-20 points at least in every race ....

Yep you should just give up now and think about qualifying for next year ūüėÄ

You'll need that amount of time to convince Daz of another overseas trip. I cant actually remember where next year is.

Seriously, as MS said, finish Coffs with ankle ok, and then rest up for Mool. Reasonable finish there and all good.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Interesting reading.  So if you win a race you are not automatic selection?  

auto selection only for winning national championship race or, I think, a podium finish at previous world championships

22 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

auto selection only for winning national championship race or, I think, a podium finish at previous world championships

Just found selection criteria on tri aus web.

As i can 

Auto qual if you win 

Luke Harrop race

Podium at previous WC

Then the next part is intriguing. Selection precidence will be based on the following in order 

- the person who does the most races

before

- the person who wins or places at a qualifying event.  

This bit i dont quite understand. 

9 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Just found selection criteria on tri aus web.

As i can 

Auto qual if you win 

Luke Harrop race

Podium at previous WC

Then the next part is intriguing. Selection precidence will be based on the following in order 

before

Results from best 3 races are counted only.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Selection precidence will be based on the following in order 

before

That's if 2 people have the same number if points and are both in 25th position. Otherwise it's on points earned

6 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

That's if 2 people have the same number if points and are both in 25th position. Otherwise it's on points earned

But if race more races you will earn more points then someone who wins an event?  

Yes, they would rather have people do more races to try and qualify rather than taking someone faster who only does one race $$

6 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

But if race more races you will earn more points then someone who wins an event?  

I'd be very surprised if you had 2 people on the same points in 25th spot, one person has done 3 events and ended up on 50 points, the other 2 events and won both.  If they took the person with 3 mediocre performances over the person who won 2 races then the person who won two races would have good grounds for appeal.  

23 hours ago, AA7 said:

Yep you should just give up now and think about qualifying for next year ūüėÄ

You'll need that amount of time to convince Daz of another overseas trip. I cant actually remember where next year is.

Switzerland 

28 minutes ago, -H- said:

Yes, they would rather have people do more races to try and qualify rather than taking someone faster who only does one race $$

That is how i am thinking too.  

25 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'd be very surprised if you had 2 people on the same points in 25th spot, one person has done 3 events and ended up on 50 points, the other 2 events and won both.  If they took the person with 3 mediocre performances over the person who won 2 races then the person who won two races would have good grounds for appeal.  

But reading it, it sounds otherwise

31 minutes ago, -H- said:

Hey H, I understand what you're saying, but I (perhaps naively), want to think that it's about also recognising those who are committed. Also, and I mentioned this some time ago, race selection is critical. For example, last year someone won a selection race at a location without a lot of competitors. I then raced twice against this person in other races and beat them on each occasion (I didn't podium, but did get a top-ten twice if I remember correctly). So, by the win-and-be-selected criteria, this doesn't necessarily play-out in getting the fastest there.

10 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

they also state that they have the option of choosing the person who will perform best on the day.

8 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

You quoted point 1 above.  Point 2 states the with the highest individual placing in any single event. And point 4 the athlete who in the opinion of TANAGM has the best chance of achieving the highest result in the 2018 itu...

Both those points are also taken into cobsideration.

Keep in mind this is only for the athlete filling the 25th position all others are based on points achieved.

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Switzerland 

Ah yes, i remember now, might start saving my pennies. I'm due for another European holiday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TenPints said:

Hey H, I understand what you're saying, but I (perhaps naively), want to think that it's about also recognising those who are committed. Also, and I mentioned this some time ago, race selection is critical. For example, last year someone won a selection race at a location without a lot of competitors. I then raced twice against this person in other races and beat them on each occasion (I didn't podium, but did get a top-ten twice if I remember correctly). So, by the win-and-be-selected criteria, this doesn't necessarily play-out in getting the fastest there.

Maybe they should go on times then not placings.  

Yes some courses are faster then others.  So this can factored in.  

Is commitment based on your INCOME or your YOUR PERFORMANCE.  

For someone outside the main states Vic, NSW and QLD they may only be able to afford 1-2 races yet perform well in both.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Do they take 25 competitors per AG and gender? 

Up to.

But I can't imagine TA knocking back anybody up to that number that offers up the cash.

44 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

For someone outside the main states Vic, NSW and QLD they may only be able to afford 1-2 races yet perform well in both.  

If this is their situation then they need to decide how to set up your season. You still have a very good chance of qualifying with 1or 2 very good performances. You just need one to be the national champs.  

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

It isn't just income FB, it could be family, or workload that restrict people from travelling.

Thinking out loud: if it was just on times, why bother with selection. I can pretty much look at a start list and see the blokes in my AG that I know will be at the pointy end - just do it by invite. However, I love the fact that triathlon is inclusive and gives the MoP'ers like me a chance (keeps me loving the sport) through the "have a go" channel.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

And somebody in the main states with a couple of kids has the same kind of restriction with the added restriction of time.    You could argue that having kids is a choice and I'd counter that with saying that where you live is a choice also. Having a higher income doesn't automatically translate to a world of choices. Ask yourself why their income is higher, then look at the outgoings. Things are rarely this black and white.

Everyone does the best with the hand they are dealt. I wanted to do Haute Route Rockies this, guess what, I can't afford the justification but don't wish anyone that can go anything but a good time.

Good luck to all who are trying to qualify. :)

• Like 1

preliminary 50 - 54 M  point-score after coffs:

(have about 4 or 5 on three races, one person capped having done 4),

I'm screwed if Mooloolaba does not go exceptionally (after sickness and injuries (on top of carry over fatness) have led to and below planned training and weight goals resulting in poor performances to date this season)

Rank First Name Last Name Total Points
(Best 3 Races)
1 Darren ADAMS 59
2 Richard SCOLYER 51
3 Tim LANG 50
4 Michael RIGGALL 47
5 Mark BLENCOWE 45
6 Richard Palmer 44
7 Ken Kirk 43
8 David LOVELL 43
9 Darrell CRIMSON 42
10 Peter BLACK 41
11 Michael RADECKI 41
12 Hal CROSS 39
13 Kevin HALSE 38
14 Neil PARSONS-YOUNG 35
15 Dominic TOOLE 33
16 Craig ODEWAHN 31
17 Steve Williams 31
18 Tony SYME 30
19 Colin STOLLERY 29
20 Magnis Linder 28
21 Brian MILLETT 25
22 Frank OSTINI 25
23 Paul OYSTON 25
24 Joe Westhuizen 25
25 Trevor BUCHANAN 24
26 Mick Marony 24
27 Glenn TOREPE 24
28 Neil BOWMAN 23
29 David Sullivan 23
30 Scott TAYLOR 23
31 Perry BLACKMORE 22
32 Peter Walker 22
33 Paul Worroll 22
34 Craig SLOAN 21
35 Mark Fisher 20
36 Victor Lendzionowski 19
37 Michael LENNON 18
38 Cameron MCGILL 18
39 Peter DENNIS 16
40 Darren Dillion 16
41 Paul Potocnik 16
42 Roger Belmar 15
43 Ron ACUTT 14
44 Kerry BAXTER 14
45 Stuart Low 14
46 Michael Vandergraph 13
47 Craig McDermott 12
48 Steve Thompson 12
49 Robbie Andrews 11
50 Steve BOTTOMLEY 11
51 Anthony FAAHAN-SMITH 11
52 Paul GRAHAM 11
53 Tony Williams 11
54 Ross Durham 10
55 Eric LEACH 10
56 Stuart WHITE 10
57 Rod ARMSTRONG 9
58 david leckenby 9
59 Andrew Speedie 9
60 Richard Cahill 8
61 Garath Jones 8
62 Graham PEMBERTON 8
63 Trevor Brown 7
64 Peter Coogan 7
65 Steven GOOSSENS 7
66 Phillip Viles 7
67 Paul Composton 6
68 Chris Davis 6
69 Ian Donald 6
70 Sean HAMPSON 6
71 Scott MCHUGH 6
72 Darren Ingram 5
73 Simon Merideth 4
74 David Williams 4
75 Mark Griffiths 3
76 Eric JANSEN 3
77 Rick O'BRIEN 3
78 Michael Wilson 3
79 Mark Baker 2
80 Grant Johnston 2
81 Adam Kaplan 2
82 Andrew Fox 1
83 Phillip Hoare 1
84 Brett Mills 1

Those serious about trying to get Sprint points could have gone down to Seven Mile Beach in Tassie.

Only M 35-39 went any lower than last place still getting 9 or 10 points.

For those that say it's only worth it if you're racing the best, most pros in any sport pick their races and events/tournaments to some degree.  

TS put n a great low key event.  The race location is right near the airport, and there is a caravan park and fancy resort right there.  So accom and transport is easy.

Or Bunbury for the OD (if you didn't pan for/perform at Tville), I'd go but I have Com Games Baton duty that day so its Mool or bust...