Cranky

Laptop needed for 8 year old at school

HP $338
Intel Celeron N3060 dual core processor (1.60 GHz up to 2.48Ghz, 2MB L2 Cache)
2 in 1
4GB RAM
Touch Screen
32GB emmc

vs

Dell $399
Intel® Pentium® Processor N3710 (2M Cache, up to 2.56 GHz)
Not 2 in 1
4GB RAM
Not touch screen
128GB SSD

:wallbash:

Dell.

Has better processor (Pentium Vs Celeron)

SSD hard drive is also better than the HP , which basically has a built in USB stick.

Just now, Tyno said:

Dell.

Has better processor (Pentium Vs Celeron)

SSD hard drive is also better than the HP , which basically has a built in USB stick.

Great! Thanks. That's the way we were leaning. The only thing it doesn't have is touch screen. But I guess she'll just have to tough it out for a couple of years till she gets an upgrade.
Thanks!
See you Sunday?

Ok, so my 37 yr old wife is studying uni again and now wants a laptop, however we really dont know what we need, hence im here asking.

All we want is something she can do her uni on and be flexible where she studies, so not stuck at home on the desktop PC we have.

Can anyone here offer up something very simple that will be OK for her to use whilst studying, researching,doing assessments etc.  no need for things such as video editing. 

Would something like what Cranky ordered do the job, or something simpler.  We dont feel the need to spend shitloads of $ on it.  We are very simple persons when it comes to computers

10 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Ok, so my 37 yr old wife is studying uni again and now wants a laptop, however we really dont know what we need, hence im here asking.

All we want is something she can do her uni on and be flexible where she studies, so not stuck at home on the desktop PC we have.

Can anyone here offer up something very simple that will be OK for her to use whilst studying, researching,doing assessments etc.  no need for things such as video editing. 

Would something like what Cranky ordered do the job, or something simpler.  We dont feel the need to spend shitloads of $ on it.  We are very simple persons when it comes to computers

if she doesn't want to be stuck at home then battery life will be a key thing to look at.. (as well as size..)

Id go for a ssd as I cant handle the boot up and processing time of my non ssd laptop... its a nightmare

• Like 1

Yeah, one of the little 2-in-1 things would be the go.  Similar (but not restricted to) to the feel Inspiron 11" and 13" 2-in-1's.  Very light, small.  Ssd's and quick boot times, plus battery lasts like 6+ hours.  My daughter has the 11" as she doesn't need anything special for school, my son the 13" with i5 as he will want to do some IT subjects.  A 13" like his will be my next laptop if I can somehow kill my wife's is one I'm using.

Plenty make ones like this (Lenovo Yoga's etc).  And they cover most budgets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Would something like what Cranky ordered do the job, or something simpler.

No need for video editing doesn't define much.

There is a trend in education towards using online services - google docs etc - and if everything can be done that way, then you could consider a Chromebook - basically a very simple notebook that boots Chrome-OS with the browser (Chrome) being the core application and now with some ability to run android apps. Chromebooks can be had for for as little as a few hundred bucks up to $1500 for the really top-of-the-line models.

• Like 1

great thanks, being as useless as i am with this, do you have any links i could browse specifically what you are talking about Goughy and XCOM!

51 minutes ago, goughy said:

A 13" like his will be my next laptop if I can somehow kill my wife'

You shouldn't put this type of stuff online Goughy. You never know who is reading it. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't really know much about Chromebooks Xcom, do they require an internet connection to pretty much do anything?  As in, all the apps are basically online.

While I mentioned the 2-in-1's Kieran, as Cranky did, you can buy a basic laptop version of them.  I (and my kids) like the 2-in-1's as you get a touch screen, and you can flip the screen right over and use it like a windows tablet.

http://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/scc/sc/dell-tablets/inspiron-2-in-1?~ck=mn

Also, while we like Dell's in our house, about every company will make these things.  This is just an example.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

What do you define as not shitloads of $$$?

~$500 or ~%1 k? More? :D

29 minutes ago, Tyno said:

What do you define as not shitloads of $$$?

~$500 or ~%1 k? More? :D

If i can get something under 1k we'd be happy

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I don't really know much about Chromebooks Xcom, do they require an internet connection to pretty much do anything?  As in, all the apps are basically online.

Chromebooks are internet (as in Google) centric, but can work off-line using apps that have an off-line mode - e.g. G-Mail, Google-Docs, Android-apps. https://www.google.com/chromebook/

Obviously it's highly dependent on what apps you "must" be able to run, but if it's all internet and web oriented, then a Chromebook starts to become a serious option.

If i can get something under 1k we'd be happy

If..... easy as really.  Just have to decide what you really want, then decide if you want to spend 500 or closer to 1k.

Before my daughter started high school we got her a 15" i7 laptop with 1gig HDD, 8g ram etc.  When he school went byod it was too big and the battery didn't last long enough so we bought her an 11" for about $600 that she just loves.  

So you'll find something easy, just what features you/she wants and exactly how much you really wanna spend is all you have to decide.  And pretty much every brand will have something.

She wants a mac book apparently, although probably has no idea on how to use one (neither do I)  nothing i say will convince her otherwise apparently

Thanks for all your help though

So you weren't serious about the sub 1k price then ;)

At least it narrows the field for you 👍

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

So you weren't serious about the sub 1k price then ;)

At least it narrows the field for you 👍

Ha! I was totally serious about the 1K price.......she has different ideas, she can barley use her bloody mobile phone.

Ha! I was totally serious about the 1K price.......she has different ideas, she can barley use her bloody mobile phone.

Yeah but macbooks are what all the cool first years are using...  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

She wants a mac book apparently, although probably has no idea on how to use one (neither do I)  nothing i say will convince her otherwise apparently

Thanks for all your help though

Kieran

While i try to avoid Apple products, the MacBooks seem to be well made and last. Both my kids have ended up with them.

the 13" screen has a solid hard drive which is more suited to being moved so better for the kids who take them around. Battery life is good. If often sitting using at desk, get the smaller one 13" and a screen. 

I at one stage had a 2nd hand one which lasted a few years (longer than the average windows laptop), Kogan have a sale on refurbished at the moment. 

If not sold out yet you won't find a better deal @ $999

11 minutes ago, Rog said:

If not sold out yet you won't find a better deal @ $999

Thats the same as what Kogan have them for, i showed my wife the other night, so am probably going to go this way

Kogan owns the  Dick Smith brand now, so will be the same stock.

• Like 1