Jump to content
Cranky

Laptop needed for 8 year old at school

Recommended Posts

Our old school struck up a deal with JB Hi-fi.  Parents had the option to go through them or anywhere they wanted with the specs, price was pretty good and for another $49 or something got 3 years on site repairs at the school.  Think we used it twice in the 1.75 years the oldest was still at the school, to start with we just placed the order and the laptop etc was waiting at the school on the first day for distribution to the kids.  Get your P&C onto sourcing a similar deal, increased buying power and you can all save

New school they get an ipad, think the laptop was a much better option.  But at least the new school puts a bit of emphasis on the kids being able to spell, write and do basic maths which the old school seemed to drop as soon as the computers came into the picture

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

I still don't understand why any primary school kid needs a laptop?  

I think a laptop trolly (which we used to have years ago) to share between 4-6 classes would do.  Then you could still teach them IT stuff without the expense. You just booked when you wanted to use them. It would suit my class. Was a bit of a pain moving the truly between rooms but wasn't expensive for the parents! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Prince said:

I still don't understand why any primary school kid needs a laptop?  

Mate you would need to ask the bureaucrats that question. There is a lot of research to say that they actually inhibit learning rather than enhance it. Everything we do in the classroom is political - some politician or bureaucrat has decided it looks good in the eyes of the public. What we do has NOTHING to do with best teaching practice. As a Primary school teacher, I have to teach the new national curriculum. In my school, I am not only told what to teach, but how to teach it, when to teach it, and in many cases the exact words I need to say when I am teaching it. Teachers know it doesn't work, the results keep going down down down but we have to do what we are told. I spend so much of my school day collecting useless data ...did you know there are more people working in the Data section of the department of education than there are in curriculum? Governments are obsessed by it, and its a waste of time.

Now all teachers are being "accredited". More paperwork. Hundreds of hours of paperwork. I spend more time collecting paperwork for my accreditation than I do teaching kids. I got a letter this week to say I am accredited as a proficient teacher. Thanks for that, Ive only being doing it successfully for 30 years. Oh, and I have to pay $100 to the system for the privilege. This is all so politicians can say that they have weeded out all the $hite teachers. Only problem is that the $hite teachers could still fudge the paperwork. And in 30 years Ive never met one of these underperforming teachers. They are all amazing. Trying to do their best with their hands tied around their backs, with no resources and no time.

Anyway Im having a rant. And Im not supposed make critical comments on the internet. So I will delete this post shortly.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Derny Driver said:

Mate you would need to ask the bureaucrats that question. There is a lot of research to say that they actually inhibit learning rather than enhance it. Everything we do in the classroom is political - some politician or bureaucrat has decided it looks good in the eyes of the public. What we do has NOTHING to do with best teaching practice. As a Primary school teacher, I have to teach the new national curriculum. In my school, I am not only told what to teach, but how to teach it, when to teach it, and in many cases the exact words I need to say when I am teaching it. Teachers know it doesn't work, the results keep going down down down but we have to do what we are told. I spend so much of my school day collecting useless data ...did you know there are more people working in the Data section of the department of education than there are in curriculum? Governments are obsessed by it, and its a waste of time.

Now all teachers are being "accredited". More paperwork. Hundreds of hours of paperwork. I spend more time collecting paperwork for my accreditation than I do teaching kids. I got a letter this week to say I am accredited as a proficient teacher. Thanks for that, Ive only being doing it successfully for 30 years. Oh, and I have to pay $100 to the system for the privilege. This is all so politicians can say that they have weeded out all the $hite teachers. Only problem is that the $hite teachers could still fudge the paperwork. And in 30 years Ive never met one of these underperforming teachers. They are all amazing. Trying to do their best with their hands tied around their backs, with no resources and no time.

Anyway Im having a rant. And Im not supposed make critical comments on the internet. So I will delete this post shortly.

That's OK. We don't know who you really are anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it also appears teachers are asked to educate as well as "parent" or pick up the gaps as to what parents are meant to teach their kids. tough gig.  

back on point though, I know we are technology based, but the it seems basic numeracy and literacy is falling behind in this country. maybe the bureaucrats are overcomplicating things? and  I just feel sorry for the many households that probably can't afford to buy their kids a laptop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Prince said:

... it seems basic numeracy and literacy is falling behind in this country. maybe the bureaucrats are overcomplicating things?

Mate - the literacy system I am forced to teach is rubbish.

And the latest numeracy fad being imposed on us is just as bad.

The only good thing about being told to teach in a rubbish way is that it never lasts long. Next year there will be an outcry over the rubbish results and the rubbish we are teaching will be replaced by a newer thing, which will look remarkably similar to something we did in the 1990s.

Have to do what the employer says though. This is a good analogy. Im a house painter. You employ me to paint a room for you. I turn up to do the job. Im not allowed to do it my way. You give me a sample pot of paint and a 2 inch brush. Tell me that's how I have to do it, and I must use that stuff. I either do it or find another occupation. Then you complain when the job doesn't even get half done and looks like crap. You then take a photo of the half finished room and complain to the media about how bad painters are. Politicians jump on board and tell everyone they are going to get rid of all the bad painters and get new ones. Paint can sizes will be reduced 30% and brushes will need to be shared from now on .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Derny Driver said:

Paint can sizes will be reduced 30% and brushes will need to be shared from now on .....

And there will be a maximum room size, but most of the time it will be bigger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Happy to admit,  I have no clue. First of all, is 'drive' the same as 'ram'?

Any of these do?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/hp/hp-stream-11-y009tu-11-6-laptop-with-office-365-1yr-subscription/330176/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-ideapad-120s-14-laptop/503707/

Thinking I'll avoid the 2 in 1. I thought it might break easier? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'drive' is storage and is non-volatile - it's where you put stuff that you want to keep, even after power-off. Storage used to be drive exclusively, but these days there are more technology options providing storage. eMMC storage is like the storage you'll find on mobile phones.

'ram' is memory and is volatile - it's the working space the computer needs for running programs, etc. Once the power is off, whatever was there is gone.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tell her which one to buy Xcom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of those 2, the Lenovo has the slightly better spec, but it will likely weigh more and you don't get the O365 subscription

If that's your price point, I'd look at:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/hp/hp-stream-x360-11-ab015tu-2-in-1-laptop-with-office-365-1yr-subscription-aqua-bl/350715/

Just a bit of a step up from the one you posted.

Bear in mind with the HP Stream models, you don't have much space to save/install stuff locally, they are pretty much designed to work with cloud storage/apps..

If you can stretch a bit more, I'd be tempted to go with https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-310-2-in-1-laptop-white/421350/

More local storage and better processor should mean better performance, but it depends if you'll need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and 11 or 12 inch screen is going to generally be lighter for your little girl to lug around than a 14 or 15 inch screen..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna say it! Just buy the Lenovo yoga one that Tyno linked, the second one.  Those other ones may as well be sold at Toyworld as they're not much more than that. Jasmine is entering grade 11 next year and will be using nearly the same sort of system as that Yoga (cept hers is a Dell).  The flip over screen will be fine.  

She was carrying a 15" laptop in grade 9 and it was killing her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Of those 2, the Lenovo has the slightly better spec, but it will likely weigh more and you don't get the O365 subscription

 

If you can stretch a bit more, I'd be tempted to go with https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-310-2-in-1-laptop-white/421350/

 

Not too worried about office. I'm pretty sure the school put that on for us.

2 in 1 - She's not real gentle. Rushes everything. I'm concerned that she's going to try and pull it apart or put it back together too quickly and bugger it. Maybe i need to look at one IRL

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Oh and 11 or 12 inch screen is going to generally be lighter for your little girl to lug around than a 14 or 15 inch screen..

Yeah, ideally 11"

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I'm gonna say it! Just buy the Lenovo yoga one that Tyno linked, the second one.  Those other ones may as well be sold at Toyworld as they're not much more than that. Jasmine is entering grade 11 next year and will be using nearly the same sort of system as that Yoga (cept hers is a Dell).  The flip over screen will be fine.  

She was carrying a 15" laptop in grade 9 and it was killing her.

Not too concerned about price so long as it's value for money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'm concerned that she's going to try and pull it apart or put it back together too quickly and bugger it. Maybe i need to look at one IRL

I think this is a similar model:

 

Go to around 1:30 for a look at the hinges and the way it folds.

Mute the "music" there is no commentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cranky said:

2 in 1 - She's not real gentle. Rushes everything. I'm concerned that she's going to try and pull it apart or put it back together too quickly and bugger it. Maybe i need to look at one IRL

You should get her one of the "Tough Books" our linies use in the field. They are tested dropping into a 3m deep manhole, and also into a pit full of water. Pretty indestructible. Just what a kid needs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tyno said:

I think this is a similar model:

 

Go to around 1:30 for a look at the hinges and the way it folds.

Mute the "music" there is no commentary.

Thanks.  I was under the impression that they came apart from the keyboard. ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cranky said:

 

Not too concerned about price so long as it's value for money. 

Actually, I take that back. .. $550.... she's likely to leave it behind one day in the sports hall or somewhere! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Thanks.  I was under the impression that they came apart from the keyboard. ???

Some do, and used to.  The Dell's and Lenovo Yogo's, the screen just flips over to the back of the laptop.  The hinges in both seem pretty solid to me.  Look, I know $550 seems a lot for something for someone as young as your daughter!  Both of ours only got laptops when they entered high school, and shared a desktop till then.  Don't know about your daughter, but my kids are at state schools and had no requirements for byod in primary, only high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, goughy said:

  Don't know about your daughter, but my kids are at state schools and had no requirements for byod in primary, only high.

Yeah. She's in a state school.  It's either $200/yr to hire a school one or BYOd from yr 4 onwards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Yeah. She's in a state school.  It's either $200/yr to hire a school one or BYOd from yr 4 onwards

Private can do whatever they want. But SS's should not have any sort of Boyd requirement in primary!  I'm sure the cost will be a struggle for some families. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goughy said:

Private can do whatever they want. But SS's should not have any sort of Boyd requirement in primary!  I'm sure the cost will be a struggle for some families. 

Yeah. They just miss out and have to share.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×